Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those subjected to the 1st period of Blues/Blackhawks I'm going to apologize for whatever that was the Blackhawks did. If it offended your good sensibilities as to what hockey is, I suggest you find a baseball game or something because holy dog :censored: , that was as bad and disinterested as it gets.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Glenn Healy is such a remarkable :censored:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Ym1XFQJpA

You wonder where the xenophobia comes from with Northern vs. Southern hockey markets. Unreal. I don't even care if that statement is true [which is obviously isn't] as much as I was annoyed to hear that kind of crap on a national broadcast in Canada and the United States alike. That's pathetic.

I heard that too and thought it was an incredibly ridiculous thing to say. Classless, really.

Fan gives a player the bird: commentator is called classless. Makes sense.

No, no. The flipping off was even more classless. But he is a fan not a professional broadcaster whose remarks were heard all around the United States and Canada.

No, it's just NBC doing it, and it's annoying.

And whoa are you guys ever losing it over "he paid $11 for those seats." That was it? God. Glenn Healy probably said something stupider two minutes later because it's Glenn Healy. Buttshoooooooooooook

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

(Which is, by the way, one of the dumbest reasons to cheer for a team...especially a heated rival at that. Don't quite see how you can suddenly cheer for a team when you want them to lose all 82 of their regular season games....countries don't win Cups, singular teams do.)

Kinda like when fans of all the other SEC teams pull for the SEC team when they play any other team in college football.

1zqy8ok.gif

Nice of the second-best offense of the league to only go about 117 minutes between goals.

IT'S A BEARS MONDAY IN POSTGAME, FOLKS!

TRADE KANE!

CUT CRAWFORD!

WHERE'S DAT EMERY GUY AT?!

REX GROSSMAN (?!?!?!?!)

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Kramerica's point is that a nationally-broadcasted game shouldn't have their broadcasters taking pot-shots towards one team. The remark about $11 glass seats (and no way does Tampa have the ticket-selling problems other teams have had) was certainly thought about in advance, waiting for the perfect opportunity once a game got out of hand or a Tampa fan banged on the glass in frustration, or both. And it's not like the CBC crew didn't know their game was being simulcasted on American airwaves.

That said, CBC doesn't exactly hide who they're cheering for in the Stanley Cup playoffs. And with Montreal being the lone Canadian rep in the playoffs, they're fully on the Canadiens bandwagon, much like a lot of the hockey fans in Canada are doing. (Which is, by the way, one of the dumbest reasons to cheer for a team...especially a heated rival at that. Don't quite see how you can suddenly cheer for a team when you want them to lose all 82 of their regular season games....countries don't win Cups, singular teams do.)

Maybe the "last Canadian team" bandwagon sentiments wouldn't be as common north of the border if American fans stopped gloating about the "Cup staying in America!" each year after the last Canadian team is eliminated. Can't have it both ways guys.

Also, citation needed regarded the bold text. It's Glenn Healy. Saying inflammatory or stupid crap on the fly is his shtick.

Though I think my larger point still stands. You guys need to stop crying foul every time anyone who lives where it snows in the winter makes a crack about cheap tickets. It's sports. Trash talk's a thing, as the italicized text above indicates. You guys don't get a pass because you're a "still developing fanbase."

TRADE KANE!

CUT CRAWFORD!

WHERE'S DAT EMERY GUY AT?!

REX GROSSMAN (?!?!?!?!)

Kyle Orton.

(Which is, by the way, one of the dumbest reasons to cheer for a team...especially a heated rival at that. Don't quite see how you can suddenly cheer for a team when you want them to lose all 82 of their regular season games....countries don't win Cups, singular teams do.)

Kinda like when fans of all the other SEC teams pull for the SEC team when they play any other team in college football.

Pretty much. Good thing I've never done such a thing.

I'm starting to think that almost a full year and a half of hockey is finally catching up with Chicago. Too much sloppy play, which is very uncharacteristic for them.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Though I think my larger point still stands. You guys need to stop crying foul every time anyone who lives where it snows in the winter makes a crack about cheap tickets. It's sports. Trash talk's a thing, as the italicized text above indicates. You guys don't get a pass because you're a "still developing fanbase."

If the remark is trash talk, then we're back to the initial point about who's saying it and why.

It wasn't a Montreal player, coach, or front office employee saying it. It wasn't a Montreal fan or a Montreal-based sports talk show or even a Montreal RSN broadcast. It's a national broadcast. National broadcasters are supposed to be neutral, not taking sides and engaging in trash talk.

It's a national broadcast...for a nation that, like it or not, is mostly on the Habs' bandwagon. If I'm in charge of producing a broadcast primarily aimed at Canadians then I'm going to make sure it appeals to their sentiments. Regardless of what Americans might think. They're not the audience I care about.

It's a national broadcast...for a nation that, like it or not, is mostly on the Habs' bandwagon. If I'm in charge of producing a broadcast that is mostly going to be seen by Canadians I'm going to make sure it appeals to their sentiments. Regardless of what Americans might think. They're not the audience I would be concerned about.

A national broadcast that CBC also knows was being simulcasted on national American television. Regardless of direct viewership or any other circumstances, it doesn't give them free reign to say anything they want.

If Healy wanted to toss in some trash talk, do so about what's happening on the ice. Taunt the fan by saying "Enjoy giving the Montreal player the business now, because this may be your last time seeing Lightning hockey until October!". Keep the financials and the politics of the sport of hockey out of the in-game broadcast.

Archived