Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

I've been to Anaheim six times over the years and Anaheim and the area around (maybe most of the USA in general) always struck me as odd as how it's laid out.

Up here in Canada (at least where I live, parts of Ontario, BC and maybe Quebec are different) you know when you have left one city or town and gone into the next, it's more spread out. Here in Calgary, if you want to get to the closest city over, you still have stretches of highway with nothing but fields around. But if you go to LAX or John Wayne and drive to Anaheim, you go through what seems like 4 or 5 different towns in the same distance.

Also, where do people in Anaheim live? When I was there at the end of March it was the first time that I had really been outside of the "Anaheim Resort" area or whatever it's called for an extended period because my family and I went shopping. During this time I barely saw any houses or neighbourhoods until I thought we had left Anaheim and went into some other city/town/suburb, which we may or may not have.

Based on my experiences down there, if someone told me that Anaheim entirely consisted of the Honda Center, Angel Stadium, Disneyland and the hotels, shops and business in between, I would believe them.

There's houses literally across the street from some of the Disneyland parking lots and backstage facilities. Look to the West... I'm guessing you probably headed East, where there's a general muckety-muck of hotels, industrial, and stadiums.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to Anaheim six times over the years and Anaheim and the area around (maybe most of the USA in general) always struck me as odd as how it's laid out.

Up here in Canada (at least where I live, parts of Ontario, BC and maybe Quebec are different) you know when you have left one city or town and gone into the next, it's more spread out. Here in Calgary, if you want to get to the closest city over, you still have stretches of highway with nothing but fields around. But if you go to LAX or John Wayne and drive to Anaheim, you go through what seems like 4 or 5 different towns in the same distance.

Also, where do people in Anaheim live? When I was there at the end of March it was the first time that I had really been outside of the "Anaheim Resort" area or whatever it's called for an extended period because my family and I went shopping. During this time I barely saw any houses or neighbourhoods until I thought we had left Anaheim and went into some other city/town/suburb, which we may or may not have.

Based on my experiences down there, if someone told me that Anaheim entirely consisted of the Honda Center, Angel Stadium, Disneyland and the hotels, shops and business in between, I would believe them.

There's houses literally across the street from some of the Disneyland parking lots and backstage facilities. Look to the West... I'm guessing you probably headed East, where there's a general muckety-muck of hotels, industrial, and stadiums.
Looking at your map, I think we went northeast-ish and we knew where we were going so we didn't look around much for stores and stuff.

It does makes sense though that there would be houses out near Disneyland because the "scream tunnels" on California Screamin' are there because of a residential noise law. I just never thought of it when I made the forst post.

IbjBaeE.png

My grandpa's brother lived in Anaheim Hills. I thought Orange County was a perfectly nice place.

As for sustainability east of the coast, the stuff I keep reading about water rights is very concerning. I think I hijacked an NCAA thread to post something recently. It's looking really bad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If you think about it, Anaheim's almost a smaller version of Long Beach. Both have the really good areas (Anaheim Hills; Bixby Knolls/Belmont Shore/Naples) and the tourist areas, and both have some areas you wouldn't want to be caught dead in after dark (North Long Beach; Ball Road). Main difference though is that Long Beach has an actual downtown, whereas Anaheim kind of relies on Irvine for that.

I'd say the "downtown" for Anaheim would be Fullerton or Orange, but hey. (Or within city limits there's Downtown Disney or the Gardenwalk in the resort/convention area. I mean, there's stuff there.)

I meant from a corporate sense. Long Beach has all its skyscrapers on Ocean Blvd, whereas the closest concentration of corporate HQs forming a true downtown for Anaheim is Irvine.

VmWIn6B.png

If you think about it, Anaheim's almost a smaller version of Long Beach. Both have the really good areas (Anaheim Hills; Bixby Knolls/Belmont Shore/Naples) and the tourist areas, and both have some areas you wouldn't want to be caught dead in after dark (North Long Beach; Ball Road). Main difference though is that Long Beach has an actual downtown, whereas Anaheim kind of relies on Irvine for that.

I'd say the "downtown" for Anaheim would be Fullerton or Orange, but hey. (Or within city limits there's Downtown Disney or the Gardenwalk in the resort/convention area. I mean, there's stuff there.)
I meant from a corporate sense. Long Beach has all it's skyscrapers on Ocean Blvd, whereas the closest concentration of corporate HQs forming a true downtown for Anaheim is Irvine.

Ahhh I gotcha. Then yeah. Anaheim the entertainment destination, Irvine is the business destination, Fullerton/Orange are the nightlife destinations, and then there's a lot of suburbia and beaches haha.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

It's almost like OC is a region in a single player game of Sim City and all the cities are specialized. Light residential and light commercial in Brea, dense commercial and light residential in Irvine, put the college reward in Fullerton and Irvine, zone the airport in the square around Santa Ana and Irvine, and pop the stadiums between Anaheim and Orange.

VmWIn6B.png

And with that, we have a series, folks. (But does it have to be this close every time?! Yeesh.)

Game 4 Saturday.

God dammit! That stupid line change late in the 3rd doomed the Kings. That 2nd LA goal should have sent this one to overtime had not been for that f#ck-up.

It's a series again. Great...

That's not how sports work.

EDIT: I'm going to explain myself. If it wasn't for the Kings line change fiasco leading to the Lovejoy goal, the 2nd Kings goal might not happen. The whole dynamic of the game changes. It's like those theories that there are multiple universes that spawn whenever a choice is made. Like Schrodinger's cat, there is a "universe" where the cat is alive and a "universe" where the cat is dead.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Who's to say that the Kings stop the Lovejoy attempt but the Ducks score later. Or if the Kings do it at 2-2, who's to say that either team just implodes and the flood gates open. The whole dynamic of the game changes. The only reason the Kings second goal happens is because of Perry's stick breaking, so who's to say that if his stick didn't break, the game ends 4-1.

IbjBaeE.png

Who's playing on the west coast tonight in the NHL?

Oh yeah, that's right. Two teams in the midwest. 9pm friggin' start time. Get the :censored: outta here with that :censored: .

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oh yeah, that's right. Two teams in the midwest. 9pm friggin' start time. Get the :censored: outta here with that :censored: .

Sorry that two of the four series are exlusively eastern time, one is exclusively pacifc time, and that you're a fan of one of the league's marquee teams that they want on the sports network and not the business channel with the first half of the game up against the other marquee teams.

Sucks, but that's the business.

And it's a Friday night, where do you have to be? :lol:

Sorry that two of the four series are exlusively eastern time, one is exclusively pacifc time, and that you're a fan of one of the league's marquee teams that they want on the sports network and not the business channel with the first half of the game up against the other marquee teams.

Sucks, but that's the business.

And it's a Friday night, where do you have to be? :lol:

SHUT UP ZACH YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't know what happened to the Blackhawks but as of tonight there's simply nothing going on to generate the least bit of optimism. Total collapse unfolding. Punishment for fan hubris after the Blues series? Maybe.

twitter

Archived