MLB: Protective Pitchers Cap Makes Debut

Mac the Knife

I'm a pitcher, and as much as I fear getting a line drive to my head, I wouldn't ever consider wearing those stupid hats. I'd rather take my chances.

I don't think that surprises anyone.

I'm a pitcher, and as much as I fear getting a line drive to my head, I wouldn't ever consider wearing those stupid hats. I'd rather take my chances.

That's what hockey players once said about wearing helmets.

I saw, I came, I left.

Pharrell will make these cool as soon as his Arby's endorsement contract ends.

How light are these? I'm sure added face and ear protection would add weight, but these are much bigger than I imagined as it is. I was picturing the old Mickey Mantle inserts. And if they aren't going to be that, why not cover more ground? I mean, infielders wear ear flaps for the cold these days... so appearances are not an issue.

Let's not start the comparison to hockey here. This is in no way a comparable sport or situation.

The ball hitting the pitcher is coincidental whereas hockey players, typically defensemen, attempt to put their bodies in front of the puck at every possible convenience. Why defensemen don't begin wearing facemasks, much less a visor, baffles me, since the cases of shattered mouths and shots to the temple add up every season.

The padded cap is smart, no doubt, and there's no way to fault this guy or anyone else who would rather protect their heads at the expense of looking bizarre, but this is absolutely the wrong forum to analyze this on. It's a uniform aesthetics board, for God's sake.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That's what hockey players once said about wearing helmets.

False equivalency. Hockey is, by its nature, a contact sport. Baseball is not. Besides, hockey helmets don't look ridiculous.

I saw a quote from the pitcher and he said it feels like he's wearing the standard cap, despite how it looks. And he was on the Rays and saw Cobb get hit.

Not that you need a reaaon to sacrifice aesthetics for safety... we'll get used to it. Hope he starts a trend. If flat bills and crooked caps are okay, this certainly is.

Archived