Colorado Rockies Rebrand

Sean F&F

In the Sports Logo forum, there was a thread on teams who might get a new look. I thought the Rockies could use an update since they have gone unchanged since their first season in 1993, while younger teams like the Rays and Marlins both have have changes.

I tried to keep the overall feel the same.

rockies-concept.png

C&C Welcome.

I like where you're going here. First, I think I would make some slight tweaks to the mountain to have the bottom entirely purple while only the "tops" of the mountains are white. For the cap logo, I think you could eliminate the "R" as it looks different enough, in my opinion, from the other "C" cap logos in the MLB. The fonts are good enough for me.

Are you planning to do the jersey set?

I like where you're going here. First, I think I would make some slight tweaks to the mountain to have the bottom entirely purple while only the "tops" of the mountains are white. For the cap logo, I think you could eliminate the "R" as it looks different enough, in my opinion, from the other "C" cap logos in the MLB. The fonts are good enough for me.

Are you planning to do the jersey set?

There would be 3 other teams already using a C as their cap logo. Regardless if it looks slightly different, it wouldn't work.

As for the actual concept, I like it, except for the mountaintop. It looks almost as if it is a lightning bolt.

I like where this is going. A 90's MLB expansion team should at least try doing something modern, and I think you're getting that across with the fonts and logos. Like TheGiantsFan said, make the mountains purple while keeping the mountaintops white. Since your font as some curvature in it, maybe add some curving in the mountains to reduce the "lightning bolt" look. Definitely keep the "CR", but have the letters interlock rather than next to each other. Just tweak a few things, and you'll have a nice set!

I updated the main logo with some of your suggestions. I made the mountains purple, the top white, and the highlights grey.

I tried out a curvier look but I didn't look as good, plus the Rockies sounds like it should be more jagged and sharp.

rockies-logo1.png

Same basic layout as the original, minus the arched Colorado on the top.

rockies20logo.gif

I kinda prefer the purple used in the current logo over the one you are using. It gives it a more "cool like the Rocky Mountains" feel

Yeah, I wasn't quite set on a shade of purple. I changed it a few times but I think I'll play around a little more. Right now it has a Sacramento Kings shade, but I think a more blurple color would work better.

Nice work here. I don't think it's an upgrade but I do like the innovation. Stick with as much purple as you can. It's what distinguishes the Rockies from other teams. The trouble is that purple is pretty finicky. Unbeknownst to most, the Rox actually do have merchandise with a couple/few shades of purple. I feel like it almost matters what secondary color you are matching it with (black, white or silver).
I prefer the first primary logo with the streak of purple near the peaks. However, I think there is too much open space directly below the tallest mtn (on either logo). It's hard to beat the interlocking CR on their cap in my opinion. If you use the Colorado flag "C," you lose the unique branding.

Sorry, but I don't see the value in your attempt. It's a subpar rehash of the logo. At least try thinking a little bit more creatively and be sure to have something that is at least equal in quality.

I don't see any value in this comment.
Not every comment's gonna be praise and I'm sorry this concept doesn't deserve any. It's basically a mess. The font isn't cohesive at all and the "mountains" are just random jagged lines with some gray slashes in it that serve no purpose. And then just a fill of purple in the negative space with a rectangular cut-out around the lettering.

Not every comment's gonna be praise and I'm sorry this concept doesn't deserve any. It's basically a mess. The font isn't cohesive at all and the "mountains" are just random jagged lines with some gray slashes in it that serve no purpose. And then just a fill of purple in the negative space with a rectangular cut-out around the lettering.

Not every comment is going to be praise, but if you're going to criticise then do so constructively. Like you have, McCall. gebling's comment didn't offer any of that.

Sorry, but I don't see the value in your attempt. It's a subpar rehash of the logo. At least try thinking a little bit more creatively and be sure to have something that is at least equal in quality.

I don't see any value in this comment.

I agree with him. This is not even close to equal with the original Rockies logo. Yours has a font that gives a very generic look to it. The purple is too bright. The mountains look too clip art like, and you just basically cut out a rectangle to fit COLORADO in it. I am biased because I am a Rockies fan, but if this was announced to take place of the current logo, I would be a very upset fan. It looks like it belongs to a high school, not a pro team.

Colorado Born and Raised!!

2gm6.png
LasVegasBowl_zpsdb9fb995.png

Back with some updates.

The mountains are totally redone and I put the COLORADO in the mountains.

I also changed the shade of purple to have a little more blue.

My only question now is are the mountains too complex and not simple enough for a logo?

rockieslogo21.png

You swung too far the other direction. The linework is too delicate. You might look at the flag of Denver as inspiration for this concept, with the baseball possibly in the centre.

rATMcmK.png

Archived