2014 NFL Season Thread

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mechanical-engineer-turned-comedian-turned-actor-playing-a-scientist is discussing the NFL on a news show. Our society has reached the pinnacle of absurdity. But the NFL loves it, because this story has lead the news for the last week, and will only increase the Super Bowl ratings. The only way this game could be any more perfect for the NFL is if it goes to double overtime and one of Katy Perry's boobs falls out during halftime.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Yes, I made that exact same joke earlier.

I would not have been averse to the Packers playing in and even winning the Super Bowl. They did it a few years ago and it wasn't that bad. I'm rooting for the Seahawks to the extent that I care. They talk too much (they never shut up!), but at least they're not the Patriots.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, I made that exact same joke earlier.

I would not have been averse to the Packers playing in and even winning the Super Bowl. They did it a few years ago and it wasn't that bad. I'm rooting for the Seahawks to the extent that I care. They talk too much (they never shut up!), but at least they're not the Patriots.

My internet I tell you.... :/

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

What the media aren't talking about is Ray Rice, concussions, and player safety. So I bet the NFL is happy to talk about saggy balls for as long as people are asking.

Good point. This has been a terrible PR year for the NFL. Right out of the gate with Rice and AP. This is small potatoes.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I forgot the NFL let Nike make those stupid Super Bowl warm-ups starting last season. It was always cool to see the media day with players in their jerseys and pants, along with seeing the field for the first time. The Bears and Giants had special sleeved jerseys for the lineman (showing actual stripes instead of the cuffed cap-sleeves).

Speaking of field, has anyone seen photos of the field yet? Are they not holding the media day on the field this year?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I forgot the NFL let Nike make those stupid Super Bowl warm-ups starting last season. It was always cool to see the media day with players in their jerseys and pants, along with seeing the field for the first time. The Bears and Giants had special sleeved jerseys for the lineman (showing actual stripes instead of the cuffed cap-sleeves).

Speaking of field, has anyone seen photos of the field yet? Are they not holding the media day on the field this year?

EDIT: Looking at NFL.com video, it looks like purple seats in the background...must be US Airways Arena. I know a lot of the media were staying close to the arena, so it makes sense.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

"I'm just here so I won't get fined."

I love this guy.

Some media-types are whining about it, too, saying that it's us fans that are losing out. No, you media people are missing out on the "scoop." It's 2015, I think it's time for the NFL to abolish the mandatory media obligations.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

All that does is bring more attention to himself. I think he loves the attention.

He does realize the media would leave him alone if he gave boring boilerplate answers, right? If he wa TD teporters to leave him alone, he should just say "we played hard today." Media would pack up and go home.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I love this guy.

Some media-types are whining about it, too, saying that it's us fans that are losing out. No, you media people are missing out on the "scoop." It's 2015, I think it's time for the NFL to abolish the mandatory media obligations.

I disagree. It's part of the job, and I'd bet most players know that going in. If you don't want to talk to the media? Don't become a professional athlete.

Now yes, I get it. The post-game interviews rarely produce anything other then stock answers, but you know what? That's fine. Again, it's part of the job and the fame that comes with it. It seems silly to rework the way the league and its players interact with the press just because a few guys get pissy about fulfilling the obligations they agreed to when they took the job.

But it's not even as if it's a team-wide freeze-out to the media. It's one guy who wants to be left alone on a team full of guys who couldn't stop running their mouths if you duct-taped their mouths shut and sat them in a library. No one needs Marshawn Lynch to get their tape.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I get it, but it just seems weird on his part. He's going to be made to go anyway. He can act like he has and draw more attention to himself. Or he could mumble some stock answers about teamwork and playing hard for sixty minutes and no one would pay him much mind.

A mechanical-engineer-turned-comedian-turned-actor-playing-a-scientist is discussing the NFL on a news show. Our society has reached the pinnacle of absurdity. But the NFL loves it, because this story has lead the news for the last week, and will only increase the Super Bowl ratings. The only way this game could be any more perfect for the NFL is if it goes to double overtime and one of Katy Perry's boobs falls out during halftime.

So Nye has been an actor posing as an astro-physicist this whole time???

I don't know what claims his "Science Guy" character makes as to his background, but yes, he's a mechanical engineer who created that character while doing sketch comedy.

As for Lynch, I agree that he's just drawn more attention to himself. Just say "My line was great, my teammate played really hard" and other clichés repeatedly and the press will realize that you're not going to say anything noteworthy. His current press antics are noteworthy, so jackasses are going to keep shoving microphones in his face.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I love this guy.

I disagree. It's part of the job, and I'd bet most players know that going in. If you don't want to talk to the media? Don't become a professional athlete.

Now yes, I get it. The post-game interviews rarely produce anything other then stock answers, but you know what? That's fine. Again, it's part of the job and the fame that comes with it. It seems silly to rework the way the league and its players interact with the press just because a few guys get pissy about fulfilling the obligations they agreed to when they took the job.

No, it's not part of the job. A professional athlete is to perform on the field/court/ice/etc. It is not to give reporters answers: that's the PR guys jobs.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

It's part of the job as it's included in the contracts which they sign, which are in terms agreed upon by their union through collective bargaining. It's literally and explicitly part of the job description. You have to face the press whether you're making $10 mil and they're asking about your awesome TD run or if you're making $400k as the poor doof on the Packers who messed up on the on-side kick and cost your team the season.

It's hard to overstate the role of the media in football's popularity. The NFL is a media juggernaut which relies on 24/7/365 fluffing from ESPN and others to hype it as the best game on earth and push the Super Bowl as the most important day of your year. Do you think the NFL would have grown as much as it has over the last 15 years if ESPN wasn't running masturbatory NFL Live shows where they had absolutely nothing to discuss IN MARCH instead of covering sports which were current, such as baseball or basketball? No. The NFL is where it is largely because of the media coverage they receive, and reciprocally, the colossal contracts certain networks pay to broadcast their games and have access to their players. If not for the media hyping the game and giving such huge deals, he would not be getting paid millions to play.

So yes, some slovenly Michael Moore-looking douchebag from the Butte Fuque Times Picayune is essentially paying Lynch's contract and has a right to shove a microphone in his face. He has to accept that.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I get it, but it just seems weird on his part. He's going to be made to go anyway. He can act like he has and draw more attention to himself. Or he could mumble some stock answers about teamwork and playing hard for sixty minutes and no one would pay him much mind.

But what's the difference between giving nothing answers and giving no answers at all? Is it because boring stock answers is a more polite way of saying "I'm not giving you anything"?

The only reason this brings more attention to himself is because nothing is more offensive to the press than somebody not talking to them and it becomes a story because they're the ones who write the stories.

We've been through this before and it gets a big shrug from me. I can't care about Marshawn Lynch not talking to the media. I understand the other side, but it just doesn't bother me.

What's he going to say anyway? "I like to grab my junk because it upsets Roger Goodell so much"? Actually I wish he would say that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

We've been through this before and it gets a big shrug from me. I can't care about Marshawn Lynch. I understand the other side, but it just doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me either, and I think that the journalists shoving microphones in his face when they know he will just say evasive and/or dumb things are douchers and scumbags. But that still doesn't mean Lynch has no obligation to speak to the press.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived