Boston Bruins Rebranding

GFB

Rebranding the NHL

New York Islanders

Boston Bruins

The next team in my series is the Bruins. For the many years the Bruins have used the circle B, which has become the trademark of the franchise, so trashing that would be a mistake in my mind. While they have had so much success with the circle B, the same cannot be said with the number of different bears they have used over the years. They are either too simplified or too detailed; way too scary or way too friendly.... you get the idea. So the first business was making a bear worthy of such a historic franchise. I believe I have done it. So with the addition of a bear, I can now re-insert the color brown back into the Bruins color scheme. However, it is only used as a minor color, avoiding the mess of an equal black/brown/yellow-gold color scheme. I think it adds a certain perspective and depth to the logos, especially to the circle B. Add in a custom wordmark, and they are ready to go...

Boston Bruins Logos

Boston_Bruins_Logos.png

The Bruins have had some great players and uniforms throughout their history. Two of my favorite jerseys of all-time were Bruins jerseys. (the Orr jerseys and the Cam Neely/Adam Oates jerseys). However, I believe that they have lost sight of those past gems in their current uniforms. In fact on of the biggest pet peeves I have with current NHL uniforms is how on the Bruin's home and away jerseys they have horizontal stripes ON TOP of vertical stripes on their jerseys. It makes the design look cluttered and unprofessional.

Bruins4.gif

My jerseys are actually semi-throwbacks to the Orr days. I love the yellow shoulders, so I brought them back for good. The only changes are on the striping in order to match the shoulders and I brought back the white stripe on the pants from the old days. For the alternate, it is pretty much a yellow version of the home and road uniforms, with the bear on the front. I was tempted to use brown instead of black, but I like the yellow/black contrast better than the yellow/brown contrast. I may change it later, but for now this is good...

Boston Bruins Uniforms

Boston_Bruins_Uniforms-1.png

My next team will be the Ottawa Senators, so if you have any ideas or comments please share!

C&C welcome.

GFB

EDIT: Here is the yellow/brown alternate, for comparisons sake.

Boston_Bruins_Alt_Uniform.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my only gripe is that the brown in the logo looks out of place to me, without any brown in the uniforms. brown is my absolute favorite color, and when i saw just the logos (before the sweaters) i thought "hell yes. brown and gold bruins"... but in the end, i don't think they work with the sweaters. i'd either find a way to make the brown look less out of place, but incorporating it into the uniforms, or get rid of the brown from the HUB to solve the problem... as much as that pains me.

also, i'd prefer yellow numbers on the black sweater, and i'm not a fan of the bland white stripe-black pants combo. the pants need more color.

overall, the logos and concepts are freakishly well done, and i'm impressed to say the least. just a few minor things keep it from perfection.

I like the use of the brown. And perhaps (related to ColeDMD's post), you could work some brown into the uniform, but I like the primaries as is.

I am back and forth on the ALT logo, but I like it overall. I'd rather see a spoke B on the shoulders because I think that the spoke B belongs on all of their uniforms in some form. I also do not like that the patch is one one shoulder. It should be on both, IMO.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I really think you should stick with yellow socks for the black uniforms. They are one of those weird uniform quirks that should never be changed.

My only other complaint is that I'd like to see the B logo used on the shoulders of the alternate jersey.

Very nice work.

I'm one of the heretics here who doesn't like Boston's pinwheel logo, so I won't address yours. However, I love the bear. I can't say I've seen one drawn that way before and it works. I like how it works with the wordmark, too.

For your 3rd logo, try to avoid the pointy-cornered wordmark that you use here and with the Islanders concept. Just to be different.

i agree with coledmd...you should take the brown out of the secondary logo - i don't follow hockey, and thus don't know much about hockey uni's, so i won't comment on them other than to say they look solid - the bear is amazing...i mean, really, really amazing - i like the form of the letters in your wordmark, but the way you treated it looks too similar to your ny islanders concept

overall, very nice

jldesigns404eo.png

My main problem with this concpe tis that your bear logo is now the priamry logo. No way Bostson would ever have another primary logo other then the circle B.

I have loved your two jerseys this series, but for some reason you say logos are your primary logo, and then don't put them as the main logo on the jersey.

My other problem is with the alternate it is kind of wird to have the bear logo as the main lgo and on the shoulder also. You should put the circle B on the shoulder.

The bear and uniforms look awesome, however, I feel that this isn't really in the spirit of the Boston Bruins. Bostonians love their sports traditions, so I'd recommend going the more traditional logo route. I like the new B, but I think you should lose the brown in the circleB logo. I think going for a more traditional typeface, and a less "pow, zing!" contemporary look is a good way to go. If this were an expansion franchise, it would totally kick ass! (for the record, your rendering and logo designs are awesome)

OD_Signature.jpg

I like the the added brown everywhere. People get too attached to traditions. You kept about everything "traditional" in the unis but with a touch of brown (Bears are brown right?) All this tradition talk is ridiculous. It's not like you added some modern "off-the-wall" striping, or some new colors.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Dude I like this a lot. Good job.

You've modernized the logos perfectly, and the jerseys are traditional, just like the Bruins jerseys should be.

LEWJ

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The only little problem with this one is the shoulder patch on the third jersey. Even it out? Either remove it or balance it, perhaps. Reminds me of the Thrashers mess with their Atlanta sleeve....

As for the Senators, take out the Roman motif and go into a new direction.

as a bruins fan, these are pretty cool. i'm on the fence with the brown though. it looks great, out of all the concepts i've seen that try to reincorporate the brown, this is by far the best job. the bear looks cool. similar to one i posted a while ago. and while the striping is new, yet if u look far back enough it is reminiscent of classic B's unis from the 20's and 30's, i think that after having basically the same design for 40 years makes it real difficult to pull away from it.

i also dont like the stripe on the pants. that's one thing i'm glad they got rid of. also agree with others on having only one patch on the alt. in fact, i think they'd all look better without shoulder patches.

Archived