the admiral

NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

Worse expansion draft terms for Seattle? For $650M, I'd want Connor McDavid.

$650 million to buy an NHL franchise? Huh.

In completely unrelated news, Tom Dundon bought just over half of the Hurricanes for $230 million today.

Also completely unrelated: Maybe 4,000 people turned out tonight to watch Panthers-Jets in Sunrise.

"That doesn't mean we have granted an expansion team," Commissioner Bettman said following the Board of Governors meeting. "We have agreed as a league to take and consider an expansion application and to let them run in the next few months a season ticket drive."

We're not saying they're getting a team, just that we're not going to have a huge fcking meltdown over selling hypothetical tickets like we did with the Hamilton Predators.

You know... there is one possibility here that wouldn't infringe on Gary's Sun Belt obsession and Canadian export phobia.

Vive les Flammes du Québec!

9sZ9q5d.png

Two days ago Forbes released their LIST of NHL franchise values.  8 of the 31 teams operate at a loss.  Only 10 are apparently worth $650M or more (the expansion fee).  I'm no businessman, but something doesn't add up here.

1 hour ago, _RH_ said:

Two days ago Forbes released their LIST of NHL franchise values.  8 of the 31 teams operate at a loss.  Only 10 are apparently worth $650M or more (the expansion fee).  I'm no businessman, but something doesn't add up here.

On 12/6/2017 at 7:36 PM, the admiral said:

I hate this team, I hate this league, these guys are all carnies and a lot of them aren't even particularly good at it.

No, it's perfectly believable that some teams lose money from year to year but make it all back on the sale. That's why the league maintains a low-interest line of credit for teams to access, and why there's a new revenue sharing provision where Gary Bettman hands blank checks to needy teams. I mean, the Blackhawks losing money, no one believes that for a minute, but the Blues losing money, yeah, I'm sure they find a way to do that, the Blues are always broke for some reason. But if someone buys them in a world where a Raleigh team costs ~$450MM, they'll make it all back and more.

We're in the Ponzi scheme phase that preceded the 2004-2005 lockout: terrible business decisions being papered over by expansion fees.

1 hour ago, ElwoodCuse said:

Forbes makes those numbers up FYI

Never ever believe anyone is losing money on their sports team unless they open their books to the public or put the team up for sale

Forbes sets the mm market like a Realtor, no more no less (most of the time as the franchises are so limited)

Whose "non-hockey" business is NHL

better? 

We know the Board of Governors hate Quebec's Videotron, but is Tillman Fertitta's mediocre casual dining empire(HOU) or Bruckheimer's TV/movie business (SEA) better?

Jerry Bruckheimer's name was thrown around for the Las Vegas expansion for years. Now he's behind the Seattle expansion. If he really wanted a hockey team, he could have bought the Blues or Predators for a small fraction of the price years ago. But I guess if anyone is going to do something wastefully, it's Jerry Bruckheimer.

From the Whalers story upthread:

May 29: Carolina announces ticket prices. According to the Greensboro News and Record, "jaws hit the ground from Greensboro to Raleigh." The tickets range from $20 for a nosebleed seat in the rafters of the Greensboro Coliseum to an "eye-popping" $100 for seats surrounding the ice. The Canes state a goal of 10,000-12,000 season-ticket holders, but do not offer any discount for purchasing season tickets. "We want to get people used to the sticker-shock right away," says general manager Jim Rutherford. "We're not going to discount our product."

It's eye-popping now for other reasons. Can I even stand in the 300-level concourse of the United Center and get continuously kicked in the dick for $100?

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

Can I even stand in the 300-level concourse of the United Center and get continuously kicked in the dick for $100?

Hell, I'll do it to you for sixty!

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

From the Whalers story upthread:

It's eye-popping now for other reasons. Can I even stand in the 300-level concourse of the United Center and get continuously kicked in the dick for $100?

13 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Hell, I'll do it to you for sixty!

22 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Forbes sets the mm market like a Realtor, no more no less (most of the time as the franchises are so limited)

The values mean nothing. Cowboys $4, Real Madrid $3.6, Barcelona $3.5? Absolute nonsense. An open market sale of any of those teams (I don't think it's even possible for an entity to "buy" Real Madrid or Barcelona) would net double that at least. The Cowboys own the most valuable assets in American sports and RM and FCB are the two biggest sports franchises in the world.

Melnyk says he isn't selling the team but is open to moving it. What a jagoff. One the one hand, he's a lying scumbag, but on the other hand, so much for "just put teams in Canada, they'll print money"