NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

From the Whalers story upthread:

May 29: Carolina announces ticket prices. According to the Greensboro News and Record, "jaws hit the ground from Greensboro to Raleigh." The tickets range from $20 for a nosebleed seat in the rafters of the Greensboro Coliseum to an "eye-popping" $100 for seats surrounding the ice. The Canes state a goal of 10,000-12,000 season-ticket holders, but do not offer any discount for purchasing season tickets. "We want to get people used to the sticker-shock right away," says general manager Jim Rutherford. "We're not going to discount our product."

It's eye-popping now for other reasons. Can I even stand in the 300-level concourse of the United Center and get continuously kicked in the dick for $100?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

Can I even stand in the 300-level concourse of the United Center and get continuously kicked in the dick for $100?

Hell, I'll do it to you for sixty!

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

From the Whalers story upthread:

It's eye-popping now for other reasons. Can I even stand in the 300-level concourse of the United Center and get continuously kicked in the dick for $100?

13 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Hell, I'll do it to you for sixty!

so long and thanks for all the fish.

22 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Forbes sets the mm market like a Realtor, no more no less (most of the time as the franchises are so limited)

The values mean nothing. Cowboys $4, Real Madrid $3.6, Barcelona $3.5? Absolute nonsense. An open market sale of any of those teams (I don't think it's even possible for an entity to "buy" Real Madrid or Barcelona) would net double that at least. The Cowboys own the most valuable assets in American sports and RM and FCB are the two biggest sports franchises in the world.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Melnyk is such an ass. The arena location is a problem (and he has a point about moving downtown to where people can't accept tickets as gifts), but with the absurd TV deal they have with TSN, I have trouble believing they struggle.

I was reminded today that Eugene Melnyk begged his team's fans for a liver transplant, got a donor, and is now talking openly about how unappreciative the fans are in the lead-up to the team's first outdoor novelty game. Even Bill Wirtz would be advising Eugene to ease off.

• Like 5
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 12/16/2017 at 2:21 PM, the admiral said:

Melnyk is such an ass. The arena location is a problem (and he has a point about moving downtown to where people can't accept tickets as gifts), but with the absurd TV deal they have with TSN, I have trouble believing they struggle.

Cant accept tickets as gifts?  Is that something to do with it being the national capital?

Yeah, there's something about not being able to take federal employees to games because it's considered a gift and would lead to corruption. It seems to be an Ottawa-specific problem.

The Islanders grew up in the suburbs, moved to Brooklyn so they could Really Find Themselves, but realized everything was too expensive, too cramped, and too reliant on crumbling public transit, so they moved back to the suburbs. It's a great day for Long Island hockey! HOWIE ROSE UNRETIRE

• Like 10

The Barclays Center, in the conversation with the Albatross Vagina PATH station for ugliest new building in New York  never should have been built. They overpromised and underdelivered on adjacent affordable housing, they built it to accommodate an NBA team no one cares about and to inconvenience an NHL team that also no one cares about, but most of all it is a hideous edifice. It's a jellybean made of rust. The Nets could have stayed in Newark or moved in with the Islanders in Nassau County. Never should have been built.