MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction.   They went from being one of the worst-dressed teams in baseball, with an overly-fussy script, nonsensical colors and pointless alternates, to being one of the best.   Every single element, from the classic color scheme to the H-star cap logo was an enormous upgrade, and even the things I don't like (such as the too-simple block letters) are still worlds better than the over-designed mess they used to have. 

The Astros looked the best in their history when they emphasized the orange, before the rainbow guts.  I can take or leave the shooting star, but this set is a thing of beauty, topped off by perhaps my favorite cap of all time, all teams included...

25715367723_09b800b6b7_o.jpg

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/21/2016 at 8:41 AM, Gothamite said:

Exactly.  The gold on the cap has never been my issue.  The gold looks great on the cap in sunlight; it looks like :censored: in every other application. 

To this point, I bought a Racing Sausages shirt with the golden Wisconsin sleeve logo on the back of it. Two washes later, it was a very brown state of Wisconsin on the back of that shirt.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 5/20/2016 at 5:09 PM, WavePunter said:

It may not be a monogram, but it's also not a Ball-in-Glove logo in that case.. It's a goofy lowercase M, mashed atop the overly-chubby lower loop of an awkwardly positioned lowercase B, with the center of the lower loop disproportionately crammed to the top of the loop with an odd "S" shape running through it --- all of which to suggest baseball equipment, while subtly doubling as a (ahem) monogram..

That's it!  Maybe the angle of the B is why it took me so long to see the MB.  That and being 10 when it was introduced.

On 5/21/2016 at 9:41 AM, Gothamite said:

Exactly.  The gold on the cap has never been my issue.  The gold looks great on the cap in sunlight; it looks like :censored: in every other application. 

Even if they fixed the gold, that M is irredeemable.  Exaggerated angles compete with soft swirls.  The lone whispy thin line can't support the designs weight of all the thicker lines around it.  The motion is emphatic but also scattered and muddied, with too many elements thrusting in too many directions.

It's overdesigned and clunky and I can't wait for it to be replaced. 

I actually love the current Barley M.  My problems with the current set are --

1.  Dull colors.

2.  Times New Roman . . . or its very close equivalent.

3.  A wordmark that looks it was lifted from a chain of franchised bars located mostly in airports.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 5/18/2016 at 8:53 AM, the admiral said:

"Tuscan" is what we call it, though nothing about it evokes Tuscany to me. 

The White Sox used it in the '70s on the collared untucked shirts, which itself was a throwback to early-20th-century Sox uniforms. Dtt9s says the Indians used it in the '20s and '30s.

I wonder about the origins of these old lettering styles. The other one is the "fancy block" the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Pirates used.

Yeah, I don't get why it's called Tuscan either. In actuality it was just the soup du jour for Tim McAulliffe, Inc. out of Brockton, MA. Based on some googling it looks like they turned into KM Pro Cap Company in the late 60's, and then finally went under in 1976 amid growing competition from New Era.

It's a nice little touch that it's graduated to the Red Sox font after all these years.

How can you hate the BiG? That's like hating puppies. 

This is sports. There's room for some whimsy once in a while. Everything doesn't have to be serious. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

My thoughts on Stance http://wp.me/p2bUoH-264

My biggest curiosity is whether or not they're going to provide teams with more sock design options or just keep the current team-approved designs already in existence. If they are going to push more unique designs out, we're going to see a lot more players rocking these kinds of sock designs -- a major shift from the traditional sock looks we've come to see for years. 

b5qudY6.jpg

Go A's!

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

That's it!  Maybe the angle of the B is why it took me so long to see the MB.  That and being 10 when it was introduced.

I actually love the current Barley M.  My problems with the current set are --

1.  Dull colors.

2.  Times New Roman . . . or its very close equivalent.

3.  A wordmark that looks it was lifted from a chain of franchised bars located mostly in airports.

Not gonna lie.  One of the things I've often thought of when seeing the Brewers wordmark (which especially came strong when you said that) was this:

Of course, considering the beer theme of the team, it's hard to say it's necessarily ill-fitting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Not gonna lie.  One of the things I've often thought of when seeing the Brewers wordmark (which especially came strong when you said that) was this:

Of course, considering the beer theme of the team, it's hard to say it's necessarily ill-fitting.

Exactly, i think it´s a great baseball script

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Exactly, i think it´s a great baseball script

To me, that's why I don't think it's a great baseball script . . . .though it fits a team named the Brewers better than it fits any other baseball team.

Someone (it might have been Gothamite) once posted a concept that used a wordmark that looked like a beer label but also pulled off the feat of looking like a baseball script.  It can be done . . . I just don't think this script does it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

27 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

To me, that's why I don't think it's a great baseball script . . . .though it fits a team named the Brewers better than it fits any other baseball team.

Someone (it might have been Gothamite) once posted a concept that used a wordmark that looked like a beer label but also pulled off the feat of looking like a baseball script.  It can be done . . . I just don't think this script does it.

Then drink a few beers, after that everything looks great ! ;)

3 hours ago, LEWJ said:

This seems worthy of its own thread, but I'll just leave it here.

Screenshot_20160523-120142.jpg

https://www.stance.com/mlb

Going back and looking at this, I suddenly have a realization.  As the middle sock goes with the American and National uniforms, will the ones on the outside be worn by the teams with their regular unis during the actual game?  If so, are they really going to do something so sacrilegious as making Boston wear navy and gold socks during the crown jewel showcase of the majors?  I guess the Bosox-themed socks they show underneath give more than enough answer to that.

Of course, it could just be that these socks will be worn with the American and National unis with the Padres themselves getting the special orange/brown/yellow socks.  Any insiders know anything on this front?

On the Brewers front, I think their best wordmark was the 90's one.  It was unique, legible, easily drawn, and fits any color scheme in their history.

53hz1qf8tgmm94i8ooew5dfwq.png

1cfje1wue7b79flmyh42aek9k.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After my last post, I went to the main page to look for something and saw Fearless Leader had written an article about the new socks.  Yup.  Looks like they'll be wearing those during the All-Star Game.  People have been unhappy with the All-Star caps of the last few years, but at least those were personalized and featured each team's colors, at least.  This isn't right, especially for Boston.

Hopefully though, this deal will result in standardized interesting socks for everyone: the A's finally settling on one cool striped pattern, Liberty Bells on the outside for the Phillies, NY's on the back for the Yankees, 70's stripes at the top for the Red Sox, and maybe even a black top/white bottom white sock for Chicago.  One can dream.

EDIT: Oooh!  Tequila Sunrise socks for Houston would be awesome too.  Maybe I should just do a series of MLB socks on the concept board.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Part of the deal is that the players don't even have to wear these things, as long as whatever socks they wear don't have competitor logos on them.  Point being, this will certainly not bring about standardization - if anything, it could make it worse because as Stance starts giving teams more options (coming next year according to the release) you'll have some players wearing high cuffs and Stance socks, some players wearing high cuffs and regular socks, some players wearing stirrups, some players wearing striped stocks, and some players still wearing the stupid-looking pajama bottom pants that actually connect with the bottom of the shoe and cover everything up.

Standardization?  Hardly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived