MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

While faux-flannel can look really cool when done right, I'm not a fan of it for the Yankees. I think it'd wind up just looking tacky and fake on a traditional franchise like the Yanks.

I absolutely despise the Yankees' sleeve stripes though. It's a completely unnecessary and dated 70's/80's uniform element that doesn't belong on a current uniform of one of the few franchises that specifically stayed away from all of those 70's/80's uniform fads (and any uniform fads since, for that matter). I find it ironic that one of the last holdover uniform elements from that era in all of baseball is found on a team that never once wore an alternate, sansabelts, powder blue road unis, pullovers, etc. I suppose the most logical explanation is that the sleeve stripes were a fairly subtle uniform element on an otherwise traditional uniform, and thus never got eliminated when all of the other crazier uniforms of that era were being retired.

I could really go either way on the white outlines. They look fine as it is, but I do wonder whether removing them would de-clutter the uniform, or just make it look too plain. I would love to see real life mockups of the road uniforms with white outlines, but no sleeve stripes, and another mockup of the road uniform without any white outlines at all. I have a feeling either would look good.

In any event, I don't see the Yankees dumping either the white outline or the sleeve stripes anytime soon, unfortunately.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You realize the Yankees are no longer any better than anyone else now, right?  They've given in to the league-wide "special event" uniforms, and have worn BP caps in actual games.  The last thing they're holding on to is keeping the Majestic logo off the sleeve, but they do wear it for the special uniforms.

They're still in the top 1% of teams when it comes to avoiding all the nonsense, but they've been defiled and are no longer the pure virgins we once all admired.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

You realize the Yankees are no longer any better than anyone else now, right?  They've given in to the league-wide "special event" uniforms, and have worn BP caps in actual games.  The last thing they're holding on to is keeping the Majestic logo off the sleeve, but they do wear it for the special uniforms.

They're still in the top 1% of teams when it comes to avoiding all the nonsense, but they're no longer the clear #1.

Unfortunately, that's true. The league-wide special event uniforms are generally awful to begin with, but they manage to be that much worse on the Yankees due to the franchise's longstanding opposition to alternate uniforms or special event uniforms. For what it's worth, I can say largely the same for the Cardinals, Dodgers, and Tigers (though the Cards and Dodgers have dabbled in alternate uniforms, albeit very tactful and attractive ones).

In any event, the sleeve stripes don't fit with the team's overall aesthetic (even if said aesthetic gets chipped away at every time a holiday rolls around). Nor would faux flannel, for that matter, just as a fauxback cream uniform wouldn't fit with the overall aesthetic either. (And yes, while pre-70's Yankees legends wore fauxback cream uniforms before the last game at the old Yankee Stadium, and looked very good in them, they've never been worn in an actual game.)

7 hours ago, RCMacc said:

Everything about the throwbacks with last night was great, except the pillbox cap.  They just didn't fit with the Phillies and the stripes just added clutter.  While I prefer the current look, specifically the cream alternate, they should use this or the 1960s uniform on Fridays home games.  Just to add variety of course and to use this more often because it looked really nice out there.

I wouldn't say everything...It drives me nuts that the Phillies go to all this trouble for throw back night and then use their current red batting helmets (albeit with the retro logo) with the old maroon uni's...They've brought these unis out 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years or so and this is the 2nd time they've done this (with the helmet) and it looks so stupid when the Phillies are up to bat. Also players like Freddy Galvis who go with the high socks wore his regular red socks with the blue liberty bell on them. Could no one scrape up a pair of maroon socks? (I know its wayyy too much to ask for stirrups...that's a whole other issue- haha)...

But seriously...why even bother with retro maroon uniforms if you're gonna wear your red batting helmets?  It would be like the eagles wearing their gorgeous Kelly Green, Silver and White uniforms but keeping their "Midnight Green" helmet. 

Couldn't find a good pic from last night but...they at least tried once a few years ago (the rollins pic) the Howard pic is from a few years ago and shows basically what they did last night only they were home last night.

Jimmy+Rollins+90s+Maroon+Throwback+Jersey.jpg

Howard 051410.jpg

As I stated before, I'm pretty sure they got the pinstripe color wrong too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Thomas said:

Philly looking good, Brewers looking like straight bozos

What?!   The Brewers look great, other than the fact that the jerseys are too baggy and some of them are wearing pants that are way too long.  In general I'm not a huge fan of pullovers, but just seeing those colors back is great.

6 hours ago, mjd77 said:

What?!   The Brewers look great, other than the fact that the jerseys are too baggy and some of them are wearing pants that are way too long.  In general I'm not a huge fan of pullovers, but just seeing those colors back is great.

Sorry my man, i am just not a fan of playing baseball in your jammies

18 hours ago, kroywen said:

While faux-flannel can look really cool when done right, I'm not a fan of it for the Yankees. I think it'd wind up just looking tacky and fake on a traditional franchise like the Yanks.

I tend to agree with you Kroywen, if the faux-flannel isn't perfect it would just look "cheesy".  That wouldn't be proper given the tradition of the Yankees.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On June 3, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Gehrig27 said:

I think in general, baseball uniforms were at their peak aesthetically in the 60's. By that I mean they were worn perfectly, not necessarily that they were all better designs. Pants were worn high but well below the knee; Stirrups weren't the skinny strips they would become in later years, and perfectly balanced with the pants length; and uniforms were athletically form-fitting with sleeves at mid-bicep length. If only we could get back to this. Classic.

Agreed, everything looked so good back in the 60's; the materials, the cut of the uniforms, the stirrups, etc.. Even the teams that wore vests looked good.

I'd like to see the Yankees simplify their road uniforms.  They should ditch the sleeve stripes and I would be inclined to ditch the white outlines on the wordmark.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

9 minutes ago, Mitch B said:

Agreed, everything looked so good back in the 60's; the materials, the cut of the uniforms, the stirrups, etc.. Even the teams that wore vests looked good.

I'd like to see the Yankees simply their road uniforms.  They should ditch the sleeve stripes and I would be inclined to ditch the white outlines on the wordmark.

Even design-wise, I'd say the pinnacle of baseball uniforms was the decade between 1955 and 1965. I absolutely love most of the uniform designs out of that era.

And up until Charlie O, teams almost universally held to the standard that home uniforms were white and road uniforms were gray. The 20 or so years post-war are what solidified that traditions really - before and during the war, there were still some teams wearing other colors on the road, albeit usually intermittently. Aesthetically, it was the best era in baseball history in almost every aspect.

16 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Agreed. A tad baggy but love seeing THOSE Brewers colors back. The fact the didn't go totally JV w/block M's on the batting helmets was a great touch as well.

Had they gone socks and stirrups....:woot:

99c34afae59dc40ff7bde7d54c628577 (1).jpg

On 2/6/2016 at 10:03 AM, Proc said:

Im watching the Orioles game , I think that the Orioles white jerseys are perfect as is.

Wouldn't mind a orange white black cuffs, but, theyre amazing now. 

Also unpopular, but this script is better than the old one. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They're still in the top 1% of teams when it comes to avoiding all the nonsense, but they've been defiled and are no longer the pure virgins we once all admired.

Mostly true, but they're still the only MLB team never to add an alternate uniform beyond the one-offs.  

That's not nothing. 

47 minutes ago, jtsteward said:

Agreed. A tad baggy but love seeing THOSE Brewers colors back. The fact the didn't go totally JV w/block M's on the batting helmets was a great touch as well.

Had they gone socks and stirrups....:woot:

99c34afae59dc40ff7bde7d54c628577 (1).jpg

Not to mention getting the cap logo right.  Still bothers me that New Era keeps bungling that. 

On 6/5/2016 at 8:11 PM, usulkane said:

I wouldn't say everything...It drives me nuts that the Phillies go to all this trouble for throw back night and then use their current red batting helmets (albeit with the retro logo) with the old maroon uni's...They've brought these unis out 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years or so and this is the 2nd time they've done this (with the helmet) and it looks so stupid when the Phillies are up to bat. Also players like Freddy Galvis who go with the high socks wore his regular red socks with the blue liberty bell on them. Could no one scrape up a pair of maroon socks? (I know its wayyy too much to ask for stirrups...that's a whole other issue- haha)...

But seriously...why even bother with retro maroon uniforms if you're gonna wear your red batting helmets?  It would be like the eagles wearing their gorgeous Kelly Green, Silver and White uniforms but keeping their "Midnight Green" helmet. 

Couldn't find a good pic from last night but...they at least tried once a few years ago (the rollins pic) the Howard pic is from a few years ago and shows basically what they did last night only they were home last night.

Jimmy+Rollins+90s+Maroon+Throwback+Jersey.jpg

Howard 051410.jpg

I understand that it looked like a bit of a mess, but the Phillies DID indeed get their sleeve, sock, pinstripe, AND helmet color right. Up until, I believe, 1984 the team had RED pins and sleeves/socks/helmets with the maroon jerseys. Even the P's and numbers were red until the mid 70s.

920x920.jpg

bull_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

GettyImages_53012098_eqgnhd7s_e436svt4.j

So yes, the red helmets and socks and sleeves were accurate.

And yes, they should have worn zippered jerseys, not buttons. I feel like that's more on Majestic, but whatever.

And double yes, the Phillies were messy with their colors back then.

31 minutes ago, ScoffingYayap said:

I understand that it looked like a bit of a mess, but the Phillies DID indeed get their sleeve, sock, pinstripe, AND helmet color right. Up until, I believe, 1984 the team had RED pins and sleeves/socks/helmets with the maroon jerseys. Even the P's and numbers were red until the mid 70s.

So yes, the red helmets and socks and sleeves were accurate.

And yes, they should have worn zippered jerseys, not buttons. I feel like that's more on Majestic, but whatever.

And double yes, the Phillies were messy with their colors back then.

These throwbacks definitely deserve some criticism for historical inaccuracy (the zippers being the glaring item), but you're absolutely right - they were throwing back to an era where the Phillies' colors were legitimately all over the place. It's probably more glaring today since we have HDTV and high-res photos all over the internet, but the Phillies had absolutely no consistency in their colors back then. So in that regard, the Phillies' throwbacks actually did stay true to 1976 - terrible design flaws and all.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Is Majestic even doing zippers any more?  In 2013, the Brewers' had throwbacks to 1947 which should have been zippered but weren't.

Milwaukee-Brewers-1948-compare.jpg

no they don't, and I'm glad they don't, just look at how much worse that word mark looks with the zipper

Archived