TheGrimReaper

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

4,985 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

The 90's had its fair share of trash for sure but overall, I think the good outweighs the bad.

Winners:  Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, Hartford Whalers, Colorado Avalanche, Anaheim Mighty Ducks (main set only), Ottawa Senators, Tampa Bay Lightning, San Jose Sharks (both sets), New Jersey Devils, NY Islanders (the darkening worked here), Vancouver Canucks.

Losers: Every Ducks alternate, the other third jerseys from 1995/96, Lightning Storm alt, Flames pedestal set, Dallas Stars (1994/95-1998/99), Oilers darkened set, Blues angular set.

Debatable: Buffalo Sabres, Phoenix Coyotes.

Ha! I like all of those losers.  

I'm an 80s/90s kid through and through.

1 person likes this

How can you say the Islanders were good but the Oilers weren't? They are basically the same...

And the Oilers makes a lot of sense given their team name. 

I thought the Oilers 90s sets were great. If not for all the history in the orange and blue I think a lot of people would agree. The only real knock against them was that they were too dark, but at the same time I think its okay to have some dark teams, so long as the whole league does not look muddy and indistinguishable.

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Ark said:

How can you say the Islanders were good but the Oilers weren't? They are basically the same...

And the Oilers makes a lot of sense given their team name. 

Because the Islanders used orange while the Oilers created the illusion of it by outlining copper with thin red outlines.  The copper looked great on the logos (metallic) but on the fabric, it looked drab and tired.

2 people like this

Copper could have looked great with the Oilers, but they needed a brighter shade. 

As far as their 1990s logos went, this wasn't bad:

b6cg654v7eu7nh9r0eeajgpre.png

And I rather liked the idea behind this:

90.png

Clean that up a little, remove the clutter and it could work as a shoulder patch today. 

But this was profoundly stupid. 

3329_edmonton_oilers-jersey-2002.png

5 people like this

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

But this was profoundly stupid. 

3329_edmonton_oilers-jersey-2002.png

I HATED Robo-oil. In fact, I hated the whole Oilers look at that time.

1 person likes this

That color scheme does look great. It's very blue-collar. 

My objection to the navy-copper-red Oilers identity is simple. Look at what it replaced:

image.jpg

Vibrant colors and a classic template, associated with the greatest player and one of the most powerful dynasties in the history of the sport, should not have been replaced by that dark garbage. That's also why I have a problem with the WHA sweaters becoming the primary home sweaters.

However, the old shoulder patch does look pretty good in the classic colors (per @McCarthy):

Oilalt_zpsxyacvhp6.png

6 people like this

17 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

im actually not a huge fan of the original lightning look, i actually like their current look more even though i hate 06 dressup but something about it just looks right. 

i personally liked the islander 1998 look, always felt they should wear a darker blue while the oilers would get the brighter blue, and i even liked the oilers in darker blue.

The bruins, preds and kings are teams that i would say look better now than what they had in the 90's but i do miss purple in the nhl. 

Not many were, besides the color scheme, that logo was horrendous. I agree they're much better looking now.

Not to go back to previous discussions about the Stick in the Rink, but I find what the Calgary Canucks (Jr. A) have used since they began back in the '70s somewhat interesting.

y0r82ggw7jfaduj4hgpik7vee.gif

Holy pubescent snickering.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

90s uniform design is terribly overrated. 

Michael, I'm hurt...

Either way, the modern Oilers look different from the 80s Oilers. The stripes and lines on the uniforms are a lot thinner, not to mention the weird collars. 

16 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Michael, I'm hurt...

A lot of it is awesome...but really bad :D 

I've just been jaded, man. When you have to deal with kids who weren't actually around to see the Raptors' Barney uniforms tell you how awesome they are...it changes you :P

On a side tangent...it grinds my gears when kids born from, say, 1997 on go "I love [insert 90s uniform we all know sucks], I guess it's because I'm a 90s kid lol."

No. No! That's not how that works!

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I've just been jaded, man. When you have to deal with kids who weren't actually around to see the Raptors' Barney uniforms tell you how awesome they are...it changes you :P

Gimme the NHL in 1995, and that's how I want my NHL to look.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Gimme the NHL in 1995, and that's how I want my NHL to look.

That's not a bad lineup. Minus 1000000000 points for the Ballard leaf, but not bad all things considered. 

Things didn't get bad in the NHL until the Islanders' fisherman anyway. 

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

That's not a bad lineup. Minus 1000000000 points for the Ballard leaf, but not bad all things considered. 

Things didn't get bad in the NHL until the Islanders' fisherman anyway. 

Notice I said just 1995 haha. I straddle the line between the 1994-95 season and 1995-96.

1994-95: We still have the Nordiques, the Islanders are in their classic look and no alternates.

1995-96: We get the slate blue eagle Capitals (which I adore), trade the Nords for the Avs (but I like the Avalanche look), but we do get the Islanders fisherman and all the crazy alts.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Morgo said:

The 90's had its fair share of trash for sure but overall, I think the good outweighs the bad.

Winners:  Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, Hartford Whalers, Colorado Avalanche, Anaheim Mighty Ducks (main set only), Ottawa Senators, Tampa Bay Lightning, San Jose Sharks (both sets), New Jersey Devils, NY Islanders (the darkening worked here), Vancouver Canucks.

Losers: Every Ducks alternate, the other third jerseys from 1995/96, Lightning Storm alt, Flames pedestal set, Dallas Stars (1994/95-1998/99), Oilers darkened set, Blues angular set.

Debatable: Buffalo Sabres, Phoenix Coyotes.

I would definitely put the Canucks in the loser column. I think that set was really what made them an " identity crisis" team. Before that? They had two real identities. The blue and green and the "Team Germany" look. Then they go full-90s. Mascot/snarling animal logo, silver everywhere, and a darkened colour scheme that put two dark colours next to each other. It added another identity to the mix, and worse yet? It was destined to have a shelf life because it was obviously an attempt to jump on a trend. Which just meant another redesign eventually, giving the team the reputation of just cycling through disparate identities. 

I'm also not in love with the Sharks' second set. It killed that gorgeous inaugural set before its time. 

I'm also not sure how I feel about the Isles in navy. And, well, my objections to the Senators, Avs, and Ducks' 90s looks are well documented.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I would definitely put the Canucks in the loser column. I think that set was really what made them an " identity crisis" team. Before that? They had two real identities. The blue and green and the "Team Germany" look. Then they go full-90s. Mascot/snarling animal logo, silver everywhere, and a darkened colour scheme that put two dark colours next to each other. It added another identity to the mix, and worse yet? It was destined to have a shelf life because it was obviously an attempt to jump on a trend. Which just meant another redesign eventually, giving the team the reputation of just cycling through disparate identities.

Technically it was two identities but with the the wacky flying V's and the changing of orange to red, it felt like more.  I put them in the winning column because although it was definitely bandwagon jumping (they really ripped off the Avalanche), it still resulted in a better uniform set and a logo that is still (albeit recoloured) around today.  I thought the Haida inspired mark was really clever at the time and still don't see what's wrong with it.  The Spaghetti plate on the other hand is just dated.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, GFB said:

Holy pubescent snickering.

Once it's seen, it can't be unseen.