Jump to content

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes


TheGrimReaper
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

 

God I miss the 90's.  You actually saw designs that were creative and unique.  Now uniform design basically consists of taking sub-par logos from before the 70's and putting them on a click-and-fill template with a lace-up collar.

Another prime example.

I'm so tired of certain teams that once had original (arguably good-looking) uniforms deciding to play "Original 6 dress-up"

watch-brother-on-brother-violence-eric-staal-crushes-marc-staal.jpg

2013-09-18_415_lr-S.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What kills me about the Hurricanes (now that they've been brought up) is that their helmet and pants aren't the same shade of red as their uniforms. The uniforms match their logo while the pants and helmet almost look maroon. It's like that in pictures and it's like that live as well. Not to mention the simplistic striping, away from the great hurricane flag striping they used to have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BrianLion said:

I get we already had Rangers/Isles and Rangers/Devils at the Stadium Series at Yankee Stadium, so I can understand not wanting to repeat that but let the Rangers host something else that's closer to their traditional territory like West Point or something.  

CitiField is on Long Island (geographically speaking) and the Islanders are even talking about building a new rink in Queens at either Belmont or Willet's Point so this move is totally confusing.  

 

Right.  And why do the Rangers even have to be involved?  It seems that the matchup that hasn't happened is Islanders-Devils. 

 

So, for a couple of reasons, this is a strange one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Yippy said:

Another prime example.

I'm so tired of certain teams that once had original (arguably good-looking) uniforms deciding to play "Original 6 dress-up"

watch-brother-on-brother-violence-eric-staal-crushes-marc-staal.jpg

2013-09-18_415_lr-S.jpg

Same problem as Tampa original looks that were simple but, had its own unique elements to make it stand out as its own identity. Instead of piggy backing on already established, I would of liked to see the canes go further with the hurricane theme without going stupid with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

Right.  And why do the Rangers even have to be involved?  It seems that the matchup that hasn't happened is Islanders-Devils. 

 

So, for a couple of reasons, this is a strange one.

Islanders Devils isn't a sexy matchup.  By selecting NYR and Buffalo you've got the biggest media market's Original 6 team against a young up and coming Buffalo team with Jack Eichel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2017 at 1:00 AM, the admiral said:

 

Well, I know technically I can't argue with facts, but it's the internet, so I'm gonna do it anyway: while Kabel itself may date back to the Depression, and yeah, good call on Monopoly, but the extra-bold and black weights do seem to have entered into heavy usage in the late '70s through mid '80s. I guess a good equivalent would be the Futura family, where plain old Futura carries a definite WPA-through-postwar feel, but Futura Bold Condensed feels much more late '80s-early '90s to me. It screams "Desktop Publishing." If I never saw it again as long as I live, I wouldn't miss it. Also like Futura, Kabel at lighter weights is a fabulous geometric font that stands the test of time, but I can't bear the heavier ones. It just looks so dated and clunky, not to mention a little too irreverent for a stodgy organization like the Maple Leafs.

 

kabel_book_characters_45774.gif

 

vs

75074a3b493e928c0f1bd2f9d93e47ab.JPGhqdefault.jpg

 

 

 

Everything else you said is bang-on. Everything about the Leafs is just a little bit off for the sake of being a little bit off. The NOB font should be called Uncanny Valley Block for all its tiny contrived idiosyncrasies that fail to improve on plain old sports lettering. Other posters' points about the new-old Leafs logo being ill-suited to favicons, standings tables, and other small applications are also correct.

 

I mocked this up a number of years ago. Something along these lines, font wise?

 

hVu0SpS.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting, but I don't know about using it full-time because of the chest stripe and the Habs and the fact that there's not enough there to carry the Leafs branding through the course of a season. Winter Classic, possibly? But Toronto Subway (lovechild of Kabel, Futura, and Neutraface) really is quite a font. I'm still fond of Penumbra Semi-Serif (or whatever it's called) as an across-the-board Toronto sports font:

 

UwcLKRZ.jpg

 

It maintains a lot of the Art Deco/geometric features of Kabel or similar fonts but the little flares give it just a touch of Original Six distinction. It feels like an Arizona Cardinals/Carolina Panthers update, where you look at the two side-by-side and can't believe you put up with the old way as long as you did.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both of those fonts are great, but man. The Ballard leaf is just bad. 

I really like the current retro-inspired Leaf they went with (and arguments about it not working as a favourite icon or nebulous ideas about "moving backwards and not forwards" do nothing for me), but it's not the only option. The '67 leaf is nice. Some other stylized design would have worked too. 

 

The Ballard leaf had to go though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

no way easily the best era for uniforms. 

We disagree. 

There's some good there that could certainly work today, but a lot of it is overly dark, needlessly trendy, and very busy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

We disagree. 

There's some good there that could certainly work today, but a lot of it is overly dark, needlessly trendy, and very busy. 

ill agree some of it was a little too dark, but in terms of having some color without over doing it and teams looking different just from a striping perspective, 90's was the best.

 

Anaheim and l.a in purple, sharks original teal, rangers lady liberty, robo penguins, original panthers, lindros era flyers, the sens before they butchered they're classic uniforms. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rollins Man said:

ill agree some of it was a little too dark, but in terms of having some color without over doing it and teams looking different just from a striping perspective, 90's was the best.

 

Anaheim and l.a in purple, sharks original teal, rangers lady liberty, robo penguins, original panthers, lindros era flyers, the sens before they butchered they're classic uniforms. 

The Lightning and and Hurricanes really stand out as the winners of the 1990s to me. We all know those 'Canes uniforms are great, but I used to hate that original Lightning look. 

Living in Tampa though? I've come to appreciate it seeing it in person. I still think they should have stayed with the lighter blue from the innagural season, but the overall look still works for me. It's grungy and not well designed technically speaking, but I think it works in a "quick and dirty" sort of way. 

 

But then you get stuff like the Islanders and Oilers in navy, the Sabres dropping blue and gold to chase the red and black trend, the Kings insisting on pairing purple and black and looking really muddy...I'm just not a fan, looking back. 

Even looks that work on their own, like the Lady Liberty set, fall victim to the need to darken colours and outline everything with silver. Those weren't so bad because they were just alternates, but then you have people going "they should have been the primaries" and it just doesn't work.

The Lady Liberties flourished as the modern and flashy alternate take on the Rangers' identity. They lose that uniqueness if you make them the primary look. Once that's done? The Rangers just become another team with unnecessary silver outlines, dark colours, and a mascot logo. 

 

I don't think the 90s decade was a wash at all, but like all eras defined by an aesthetic? Some of it worked, some of it I didn't.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Lightning and and Hurricanes really stand out as the winners of the 1990s to me. We all know those 'Canes uniforms are great, but I used to hate that original Lightning look. 

Living in Tampa though? I've come to appreciate it seeing it in person. I still think they should have stayed with the lighter blue from the innagural season, but the overall look still works for me. It's grungy and not well designed technically speaking, but I think it works in a "quick and dirty" sort of way. 

 

But then you get stuff like the Islanders and Oilers in navy, the Sabres dropping blue and gold to chase the red and black trend, the Kings insisting on pairing purple and black and looking really muddy...I'm just not a fan, looking back. 

Even looks that work on their own, like the Lady Liberty set, fall victim to the need to darken colours and outline everything with silver. Those weren't so bad because they were just alternates, but then you have people going "they should have been the primaries" and it just doesn't work.

The Lady Liberties flourished as the modern and flashy alternate take on the Rangers' identity. They lose that uniqueness if you make them the primary look. Once that's done? The Rangers just become another team with unnecessary silver outlines, dark colours, and a mascot logo. 

 

I don't think the 90s decade was a wash at all, but like all eras defined by an aesthetic? Some of it worked, some of it I didn't.  

im actually not a huge fan of the original lightning look, i actually like their current look more even though i hate 06 dressup but something about it just looks right. 

 

i personally liked the islander 1998 look, always felt they should wear a darker blue while the oilers would get the brighter blue, and i even liked the oilers in darker blue.

 

The bruins, preds and kings are teams that i would say look better now than what they had in the 90's but i do miss purple in the nhl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It might be old news, but here are my two cents on the *alleged* 2018 Winter Classic. I hope me being an Isles fan doesn't impact it too much.

 

I lied. This is gonna be biased. Factual, but biased.

 

I will be pissed off if the Sabres get the Winter Classic instead of the Islanders. When you think of the greatest rivalries in hockey, hell, even the greatest rivalries in sports, the Islanders and Rangers is at least in the top 15. The teams have been dueling since 1972, with gritty playoff series, bench-clearing brawls, and fans constantly bickering amongst each other. Whenever the two teams play, half the arena is in the other team's colors, no matter who is home. There is far more history, grit, and rivalry between the two real New York teams, than the rivalry between the upstate team and the Manhattan one.

 

When was the last time Sabres fans invaded MSG, the Barclays Center, or the Coliseum? Not recently. The Sabres and Rangers may have some history, sure, but it sure as hell can't compare to that between the Islanders and the Rangers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is just going to be ANOTHER nationally broadcast hockey game that I have absolutely no intention of tuning in to for even one second... as is becoming the norm for me... a diehard hockey fan since 1993.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Both of those fonts are great, but man. The Ballard leaf is just bad. 

I really like the current retro-inspired Leaf they went with (and arguments about it not working as a favourite icon or nebulous ideas about "moving backwards and not forwards" do nothing for me), but it's not the only option. The '67 leaf is nice. Some other stylized design would have worked too. 

 

The Ballard leaf had to go though.  

 

I tried to simplify the new-old leaf by making it perfectly symmetrical and losing the veins, but it's the damnedest thing, now it doesn't visually register to me as a maple leaf, even though the words "MAPLE LEAFS" are right in the middle of it. It either has to be a realistic leaf or a minimalist one. There doesn't seem to be middle ground:

 

MjwBH6J.jpg

It looks like a splatter. Too many corners. It's not quite an abomination to God and man but it certainly falls in the uncanny valley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Islanders Devils isn't a sexy matchup.  By selecting NYR and Buffalo you've got the biggest media market's Original 6 team against a young up and coming Buffalo team with Jack Eichel.

 

I'm also seeing reports that the Sabres have surprisingly good national ratings, maybe for that reason.  Would explain their inclusion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.