2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

22 hours ago, Morgo said:

The problem with that is that there was zero reason to eliminate the warning flag stripes to begin with.  The mark of a great uniform is when you can still recognize it without the logos applied and the Hurricanes had that with a championship connection to boot.  I respected the fact they came out of the Reebok Edge fiasco with their identity (almost) intact.  Even though the phantom yoke was unnecessary clutter.

As for the current set, it's one of the biggest downgrades in recent memory.  The homes are the better of the two but all they did was place a Hurricanes logo on a Team Canada jersey. Getting rid of the shoulder patches was a particularly bone-headed decision as well.  It complimented the primary logo perfectly.

I really like their away jersey, however, I think their alternate is the best. My favorite Hurricanes jersey. I love the red and silver accents on it.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/03/2017 at 3:11 AM, Gothamite said:

Copper could have looked great with the Oilers, but they needed a brighter shade. 

As far as their 1990s logos went, this wasn't bad:

b6cg654v7eu7nh9r0eeajgpre.png

This I can get behind. I don't like the blue and orange for the Oilers at all. Looks so garish. 

This looks classy. I'd probably drop the red, but its not a deal breaker.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 3/16/2017 at 3:11 PM, Gothamite said:

But this was profoundly stupid. 

3329_edmonton_oilers-jersey-2002.png

Todd McFarlane stick to what you know. The world's biggest sock stripes didn't help

todd-marchant-of-the-edmonton-oilers-ska

PvO6ZWJ.png

I won't go on the rant I want to go on, because I've done it too many times and I just don't need to.

I will, however, say that those jerseys aren't historically accurate. They never wore drawstrings with that logo. They only had them in the preseason of the inaugural season, which is also when they had a really wonky version of the N-Star, rounded numbers, and slightly different stripes.

I'm not thrilled they're doing this, but whatever.

29 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

I won't go on the rant I want to go on, because I've done it too many times and I just don't need to.

I will, however, say that those jerseys aren't historically accurate. They never wore drawstrings with that logo. They only had them in the preseason of the inaugural season, which is also when they had a really wonky version of the N-Star, rounded numbers, and slightly different stripes.

I'm not thrilled they're doing this, but whatever.

I'm glad it's just for warm ups... Wearing it in game would be awkward, and rather odd. No, they're not pretending to be the North Stars, they're just honoring them. It's no different than the Jets wearing WHA throwbacks. Technically those are Coyotes throwbacks, and they have wore those in-game... 

Also, both franchises take hockey history a little different... I'm not entirely sure if the Stars sell N-Stars throwback gear, but I do know that they're also selling Dallas Texans gear. (Or at least were). They haven't really acknowledged the North Stars as much as Minnesota has. (At least not publicly... The Wild have had an alumni game with the North Stars jersey, and now these warmups.) 

The Wild on the other hand have sold Minnesota N-Stars only gear. They do have a few players who played for both, it's pretty much exclusively the "N" logo, and not the stArs/Dallas stArs logo. This is about Minnesota hockey history. The Wild sell Fighting Saints gear too... The Wild have really taken a Minnesota hockey history honoring approach, regardless of which Minnesota team it is. There's even things about the original St. Paul AC and Minnesota Iron Rangers around the Xcel Energy Center. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, jujubeans said:

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch the Wild are obviously honoring the history of NHL hockey in Minnesota, not saying the North Stars history is their own. Deep breaths, deep breaths...

There is nothing wrong with this, with honouring the history of the city without claiming to own the history of the former team.  It is the equivalent the Mariners wearing Seattle Pilots uniforms:

ichiro110804b.jpg

...andof the Brewers wearing Milwaukee Braves uniforms (as thoroughly documented by Bill Henderson):

Image result for braves vs brewers throwbacks

19482730185_0ee632a5c1_o.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 3/16/2017 at 3:31 PM, SFGiants58 said:

My objection to the navy-copper-red Oilers identity is simple. Look at what it replaced:

image.jpg

Vibrant colors and a classic template, associated with the greatest player and one of the most powerful dynasties in the history of the sport, should not have been replaced by that dark garbage. That's also why I have a problem with the WHA sweaters becoming the primary home sweaters

At the risk of getting into trouble for posting concepts, I'd like to use this opportunity to shamelessly plug this little number I've been working on as part of my "sacred cows" project. The basic gist being to tweak/refine/improve on brands/logos that have been deemed "untouchable".

oilers.png.cdfe79cd859509a8f5eb0b38983ecf6d.png

As others have pointed out the typography in the Oilers logo is painfully flawed in its execution, and (as I've pointed out with the Toronto Maple Leafs) the reliance on text to communicate the brand creates some limitations in execution. What's more, its always bothered me that the oil drop is always depicted as orange/bronze when oil itself is black (which I always assumed was the allusion with the Oilers text). Obviously this will never fly, but I couldn't help but share.

The Oilers' lettering is painfully flawed, but CCSLCers (namely McCarthy and I) have eased the pain and corrected the lettering to follow the curve and not have those weird notches on the sides. I like your logo as something that could be a tertiary/quaternary design that the team uses but not on uniforms. While oil tends not to be copper or orange (well, motor oil can be), it isn't cobalt blue, either, and I'm not sure what the wavy body of water represents. It makes me think of the ocean. Oil shouldn't go in the ocean. That said, it's still better than the weirdly-holding-a-stick secondary or the MacFarlane metal droplet or other logos the Oilers have used.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

That's actually a pretty cool logo. I never really cared for any of the Oilers logos to be honest with you. Well maybe that oil rig worker with the hockey stick they used as a secondary logo back in the 1990s. But that one I could get behind.

The Catch of the Day!

14 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There is nothing wrong with this, with honouring the history of the city without claiming to own the history of the former team.  It is the equivalent the Mariners wearing Seattle Pilots uniforms:

...and of the Brewers wearing Milwaukee Braves uniforms 

Interesting...I hadn't thought of it that way.  Braves and Brewers fans have not gotten upset about this and from what I hear Stars fans were irate over the old-times game jerseys.  OK, it's partly because there is nobody in Seattle clamoring for the return of the Pilots while in Minnesota there are some nostalgia-driven people still hilariously hoping for a Hornets history revision.  (Also, the evidence is anecdotal; if not for Cole, I may not even realize that anyone in Texas was upset).

My take is that they should not be doing this.  It was cool when Modano, playing his last game at XCel, skated out in a North Stars jersey. Otherwise, no.  The North Stars belong to Dallas.  I think if the fans really are upset, they should relax because there's no threat here.  But it is stupid.  Yeah, the NHL first came to Minnesota 50 years ago, but that's like 43 seasons of non-continuous NHL mediocrity in Minnesota.  If they really want to celebrate that, they should warm up in green (the color of both franchises) jerseys with the state outline around a "50" or something.

In short, they should not be doing this.  But it's nothing to be too upset about.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

With the Oilers announcing they'll be going with their orange thirds for the playoffs, I was thinking about other teams that could go the alternate route for the postseason. 

I would expect Minnesota and Washington to, considering they've both done it in the recent past. Depending on the organizations' plans for the future, Calgary and Ottawa could also be candidates. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

They do, or at least they did.

they do... i've got a north stars hoodie, a cap, a tshirt, and two jerseys. got all of them from the AAC. i know a ton of people that wear north stars jerseys to games, and i've yet to see anyone wear a single article of clothing from the Dallas Texans. it's cool that they sell it, and if i had infinite funds i'd probably have bought some just for fun... but i don't know anyone that has anything from that collection. it sorta clashes with the green, and stands out.

i'm not sure where carlson gets that the stars haven't really acknowledged their north stars heritage, but like i said, i've ranted so many times on this forum that i just don't want to anymore. you all know how i feel. lol.

0310-mo9jer-2.jpg

honestly, i'm sure part of the frustration is that the stars only wore north stars jerseys during modano's retirement pre-game. the fans here love the history, buy the gear, and respect the retirement banners... and suddenly over the past year or two, the wild, who are actually one of our biggest rival franchises, and a recent playoff and divisional foe, are starting to wear it any time they can justify it. i mean, we've spent the past 25 or so years loving the north stars as an adopted son... and all the sudden our rivals are like "we love them more, though. ours!"

it's silly, i admit.

1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

i'm not sure where carlson gets that the stars haven't really acknowledged their north stars heritage...

That's easy. He's a Minnesota hockey fan. Doesn't matter that he's too young to even really remember the North Stars. The whole lot of them care more about the Stars now that they've left then they ever did when they played there.

So of course he's gonna flat out lie, or convince himself of a wrong assumption, to push the narrative that the Wild somehow get a "claim" on the Stars' heritage.

Harsh? Yes. Also very upfront. Like you I'm tired of saying the same thing over and over again. The fact that the Dallas Stars regularly embrace and celebrate their North Stars heritage is easily provable and easy to confirm.

And yet the more...militant?...Minnesota hockey fans just go "lalalala can't hear you!" any time those facts are laid out. At a certain point it stops being innocent ignorance. It's wilful ignorance at this point, and that's inexcusable.

Look Minnesota. I love you guys. You're the closest Americans get to being Canadian. I've been to your state a few times, and it's been a blast each time. The support you've shown to the Wild? An example for all post-80s expansion fanbases to follow. Fargo? Great show.

You guys gotta let the North Stars go though.

On 3/28/2017 at 10:14 PM, Thaumatrope said:

At the risk of getting into trouble for posting concepts, I'd like to use this opportunity to shamelessly plug this little number I've been working on as part of my "sacred cows" project. The basic gist being to tweak/refine/improve on brands/logos that have been deemed "untouchable".

As others have pointed out the typography in the Oilers logo is painfully flawed in its execution, and (as I've pointed out with the Toronto Maple Leafs) the reliance on text to communicate the brand creates some limitations in execution. What's more, its always bothered me that the oil drop is always depicted as orange/bronze when oil itself is black (which I always assumed was the allusion with the Oilers text). Obviously this will never fly, but I couldn't help but share.

That's brilliant. I don't know if it's strong enough for a primary, but it's definitely an excellent secondary.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived