Football Helmet Visor Discussion

TheRicSlick

With the approaching of football season, it's time to see what needless accessories players equip on themselves and on their helmets. One accessory that is very popular, especially among young players, is the visor:

57542179.jpg

IMO, visors are basically used by today's players just to look cool. So what are your thoughts on visors, are they annoying, or do you agree with the young players that say they are cool?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

With the approaching of football season, it's time to see what needless accessories players equip on themselves and on their helmets. One accessory that is very popular, especially among young players, is the visor:

57542179.jpg

IMO, visors are basically used by today's players just to look cool. So what are your thoughts on visors, are they annoying, or do you agree with the young players that say they are cool?

Dark ones definitely do, LT wouldn't have looked as cool as he did without the visor, and visors actually do serve a purpose keeping players eyes from being scratched at in the pile. If you don't remember Brandon spikes got suspended for doing this in college, and happens quite often but is never seen. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Dark ones definitely do, LT wouldn't have looked as cool as he did without the visor, and visors actually do serve a purpose keeping players eyes from being scratched at in the pile. If you don't remember Brandon spikes got suspended for doing this in college, and happens quite often but is never seen. 

I don't doubt that some use it for protection and or medical purposes, but the majority use visors just to look cool.

Back in high school (in the 90s) I took a stone to the eye from an errant weed whacker. My eye was damaged and I couldn't afford to take a shot to the eye so I wore a visor (the old ones you had to zip tie on). They made a rule the following year that visors needed to be clear for trainers to do the old concussion test of shining a light. I wasn't interested in a clear one, so I had the doctor say I needed my black one for light sensitivity...so in summary, I wore one for medical reasons, but I wore a dark one for coolness.

KISSwall09.jpg

Elvis Dumervil wears a visor due to his height. What? Yes. He's 5'11" and most offensive tackles have 5" - 6" height advantage on him. This combined with rush moves would put fingers in eyes. So he wears a facemask with a narrow gap and a visor to combat that.

I'm pro visor.

Apples & oranges - these are the dumbest things ever...

justin+tuck.jpg

You don't look menacing.  At all.  You look like you're wearing grandma's wicker basket on your face.  Want some more flowers for your basket guy?  Perhaps some pansies.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

27 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

I'm pro visor.

Apples & oranges - these are the dumbest things ever...

justin+tuck.jpg

You don't look menacing.  At all.  You look like you're wearing grandma's wicker basket on your face.  Want some more flowers for your basket guy?  Perhaps some pansies.

You do know there are players who wear that mask for a reason, right?

There was a Giant (I don't remember his name) who had to wear that mask and visor because of a previous eye injury.

You can add me to the list of people who wore visors for medical reasons.  I wore a clear visor because my high school's league wouldn't allow dark ones.

I agree some of the new facemasks with closely-spaced bars look pretty garish, but you can make an argument that they add some additional protection as well.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

You do know there are players who wear that mask for a reason, right?

There was a Giant (I don't remember his name) who had to wear that mask and visor because of a previous eye injury.

It was Justin Tuck and he also had neck surgery and didn't want people grabbing his face mask and shaking his head.

31 minutes ago, dont care said:

It was Justin Tuck and he also had neck surgery and didn't want people grabbing his face mask and shaking his head.

Tuck (pictured by another poster) used the mask and visor combination of then-teammate Chris Canty. Canty came into the NFL with a detached retina from a bar fight.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/sports/football/why-the-giants-chris-canty-wears-the-big-grille.html

YGIANTS-jumbo_zpsplombaae.jpg

they do have their purposes, but I have had High school athletes wear them to just look cool. I had to remove 5 one night at halftime of a game because the kids had bought them that day and had never practiced with them in their helmet. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

My problem is about 50% of players in majority thinks that since McMahon, etc wore them that they would look cool. Lawrence Taylor had to wear one later on because not only some retina problems due to sunlight, but some player nearly fish hook his eye and that is seemly dangerous. So he had to wear it while his right eye heal.

Jim McMahon is an obvious reason. He was a kid and that shouldn't hold against him. Growing it, it had an effect on him. His eyes is saved, but can't see without shades during the daylight. Night time, he is fine.

So, 50% of majority players do it just to look cool. Maybe up it to 67% of the players who do it just to look cool. That's the problem I have with today's NFL. Look at Chad whatever he named his :censored:ing name as. Waste of stitching to get a NICKNAME on his jersey which is stupid for the most part!

is there a clear cut rule on visors in the NFL?  i have seen clear, dark/tinted/smoke, and even mirror finish (see Thomas Davis' logo embedded visor)

Screen-Shot-2016-01-17-at-2.53.16-PM.png

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

4 hours ago, pagan696 said:

is there a clear cut rule on visors in the NFL?  i have seen clear, dark/tinted/smoke, and even mirror finish (see Thomas Davis' logo embedded visor)

Screen-Shot-2016-01-17-at-2.53.16-PM.png

That's a photoshop, you can only wear clear or smoke visors in the NFL, you can get a waiver to wear dark visors for medical reasons, but it can't be colored. 

44 minutes ago, dont care said:

That's a photoshop, you can only wear clear or smoke visors in the NFL, you can get a waver to wear dark visors with a medical waiver, but it can't be colored. 

It's not a photoshop, it's just something he'll wear in practices and pre game. The Bills have worn similar visors:

bills-620x572.jpg

They look like idiots, but it's real nonetheless. 

spacer.png

Archived