2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, the admiral said:

Unrelated, but I just want to put it in writing: if Pittsburgh doesn't get its defense together and they face Columbus in the first round, I'm taking Columbus.

The only problem is the Blue Jackets can't score right now. I'm hoping it's just post-clinch boredom and not a sign of a bigger problem. 

If Bobrovsky continues to play on God-mode and the offense/power play come back there is no ceiling for this team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

Unrelated, but I just want to put it in writing: if Pittsburgh doesn't get its defense together and they face Columbus in the first round, I'm taking Columbus.

pleasepleasepleaseplease

spacer.png

Last year's playoff teams in the East: Penguins, Capitals, Rangers, Lightning, Red Wings, Panthers, Flyers, Islanders

Really good chance the Atlantic Division has entirely different representatives and that 5 different teams will be in the dance this year on the East side alone.

The West is a little more stable to last season's field. The Stars and Kings are out, Oilers and Flames are in, and those are the only differences. The playoff cutoff race in the West is dull as dishwater. Nashville the current WC2 has 10 more points than LA and Winnipeg. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Since the Flyers will be out, I think I'm rooting for Columbus and Minnesota/Edmonton for the Cup final. It would be great to see teams that have struggled in recent history would be great to see. Plus, that would stick it to NBC and the NHL.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Have you watched Minnesota in the last month? The only one you'll be sticking it to is yourself.

It's all in their head... If they break out of this fragile mentality, which is happening, watch out. 

Of course, they actually have to break out of it. It's Minnesota... There's never any guarantees... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 minute ago, chcarlson23 said:

It's all in their head... If they break out of this fragile mentality, which is happening, watch out.

Pure drivel, this sentence.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

Pure drivel, this sentence.

12 game win streak? Dubnyk leading the NHL in almost all goalie categories before March? Maybe if I said this after they had a good 10 games during the season, but after 65 games, I think I can safely say that this team is a good team, but something mentally isn't clicking right now... 

I mean, you'd figure that I would know after watching every game this year, but I guess you're the Minnesota Wild expert Admiral...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

No, my issue is that "fragile mentality" has no empirical value. "Yeah, they've been getting their asses kicked for the past two weeks, but try to imagine a scenario in which they don't!" What's your point? It's a good-not-great team that had a lot of luck and overworked the goalie, and also, the coach is an idiot. There are better explanations than "fragile mentality."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No, my issue is that "fragile mentality" has no empirical value. "Yeah, they've been getting their asses kicked for the past two weeks, but try to imagine a scenario in which they don't!" What's your point? It's a good-not-great team that had a lot of luck and overworked the goalie, and also, the coach is an idiot. There are better explanations than "fragile mentality."

Except, the Wild ARE a good team, they have very skilled players and a great coaching staff. Just something isn't clicking. What else should I call it? I'm not even the only person who says this. And saying that the Wild had a lot of luck is ridiculous. So for 60 games they had one of the best NHL records based on purely luck? You can win a game on luck. Maybe even two, just look at the Avalanche... But you can't go 40-14-6 in 60 games ALL on luck. That's ridiculous. 

What did the Hawks win 3 cups in 6 years on luck? 

41 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's a good-not-great team that had a lot of luck and overworked the goalie, and also, the coach is an idiot.

You misspelled "consistent playoff choker."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived