NHL 2017-18

Bmac

3 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Also, I grew up when it was white, at home. I still prefer darks, on home teams. I'm not the only one in that boat, either. 

Yep. Same. It was white at home when I grew up, and I prefer the dark at home look.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a fan of the primary clash system. 

You wear one jersey all the time, unless in case of a clash (or a third jersey too if you desire). 

That way, generally, teams wear their best jerseys, regardless of the colour. Leafs in white, sabres (classic jerseys) in white, rangers in blue, flyers in orange, and so on. 

If there's a clash, it should be on the home team to change, to avoid the issue of equipment managers hauling around extra  equipment.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

It just makes sense to wear your team colours at home.  I didn't like the change until I saw the Saddledome completely decked out in red.  Since then, there's been no going back.  Most teams have better dark looks anyways.

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

Who cares how many teams use black?  Especially as a trim.

Because certain people, who will go nameless, seem to think adding black resolves all issues with uniform color schemes. Team use black as a crutch

and in doing so, it prevents teams from having a very unique color scheme that they can call their own and embrace.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Anyone who has ever done any level of equipment management proba ly just cringed at the idea of how much extra gear that means lugging on road trips.

As a high school coach and equipment manager for Football and Basketball...... So true, especially during tournaments when you have to bring both sets just in case

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

You wear one jersey all the time, unless in case of a clash (or a third jersey too if you desire). 

That way, generally, teams wear their best jerseys, regardless of the colour. Leafs in white, sabres (classic jerseys) in white, rangers in blue, flyers in orange, and so on. 

If there's a clash, it should be on the home team to change, to avoid the issue of equipment managers hauling around extra  equipment.

Yea, this is what i was thinking. It could be like soccer in Europe. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Never thought of it this way for the NHL, but I like it.

7 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

People talk about a "return to whites at home," like darks at home are some kind of unnatural abomination. They aren't. Darks were worn at home from the league's inception until 1970. That's 52 seasons, compared to the 36 white was worn, at home. If anything, wearing darks, at home, is a return to tradition, for the NHL, not a departure.

Before 1955 it was white at home too, I believe, or at least not exclusively dark at home. "Everyone wear whatever" sounds like the NHL of those days (and, if you ask the Stars and Panthers, these days).

The Canadiens should always wear red at home but everyone else should wear white. I don't care what the league did in the '60s. I wasn't alive, and neither were most NHL teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/10/2017 at 10:10 PM, CRichardson said:

The West Coast Express was the Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi line. The jerseys they wore up to the Edge switch are the best the Canucks have ever looked.

naslundbertuzzimorrison.jpgcanucks-westcoastexpress.jpg.size.xxlarg

Sorry, this uniform goes back to Messier. The orca and this boring colour scheme was inspired by the same meddling and clueless ownership group, Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, who signed Messier and allowed him to wear his #11 without consulting the family of the late Wayne Maki, the last Canuck to wear #11 until his death from cancer. The number is unofficially retired in Maki's memory. 

Which is why I despise the orca logo. The sooner it gets retired, the better. 

252642692_11b3217e95_z.jpg.cf.jpg

34 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Before 1955 it was white at home too, I believe, or at least not exclusively dark at home. "Everyone wear whatever" sounds like the NHL of those days

Before 1955, if you were watching the game at home, it didn't matter if the home team wore white or not. On the old black & white TVs, one team would be dark- the other white...always.

Once colour TV's became the norm, the national games were always either blue & white (Leafs) or red & white (Montreal). The white-at-home format at least brings the home-town viewer a little variety of colour.

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Sorry, this uniform goes back to Messier.

To be fair, Messier had nothing to do with the design.

Which is why I despise the orca logo. The sooner it gets retired, the better. 

Maybe you will get your wish next season.

5 minutes ago, insert name said:

The Canucks are a team that should replace its main jersey with the alternative next season. Don't think there's a single thing wrong with this jersey.

sedin_daniel_2_slide.jpg

I'd say drop the shoulder patches, and go from there.

Ill just fully admit that I dont like them on a personal level, and might be unpopular

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

44 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I'd say drop the shoulder patches, and go from there.

Ill just fully admit that I dont like them on a personal level, and might be unpopular

Some changes I would make:

1. Level the stick straight across like the original but keep the white 'C' present. 

2. Replace the Johnny V-head with the skating version and have a leftward skating Johnny on the left shoulder. 

3. Go back to the traditional block font.

4. Add green to the font and collar.

1 hour ago, insert name said:

The Canucks are a team that should replace its main jersey with the alternative next season. Don't think there's a single thing wrong with this jersey.

sedin_daniel_2_slide.jpg

The only problem is the thin blue stripes between the green and white.  It muddies things up.

24 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The only problem is the thin blue stripes between the green and white.  It muddies things up.

What about doing what the Utica Comets have done with their striping? Just reverse the green and blue and use the same striping template as the current thirds. (No white yoke.)

qe1uibgg4r5esx9nf5w059g2yqcep6b.cf.jpg

6 hours ago, Morgo said:

It just makes sense to wear your team colours at home.  I didn't like the change until I saw the Saddledome completely decked out in red.  Since then, there's been no going back.  Most teams have better dark looks anyways.

That's absolutely true on all counts. Most of the fans in the stands will be wearing the primary color of the home team. The scoreboard graphics will likely be in that color. This isn't really the case in hockey, but in basketball, the court is painted (in part) in that color. Generally, the entire arena is going to be focused on the home team's primary color - so why have the away team be the one dressed in a color jersey that clashes with everything else?

And yeah, you can probably count on one hand the amount of teams whose white jersey is better than their dark jersey. (Detroit and Toronto spring to mind, but that's about it, IMO.) Teams should, inasmuch is possible, wear their best look at home. 90 times out of 100, that's going to be the dark.

2 minutes ago, kroywen said:

That's absolutely true on all counts. Most of the fans in the stands will be wearing the primary color of the home team. The scoreboard graphics will likely be in that color. This isn't really the case in hockey, but in basketball, the court is painted (in part) in that color. Generally, the entire arena is going to be focused on the home team's primary color - so why have the away team be the one dressed in a color jersey that clashes with everything else?

And yeah, you can probably count on one hand the amount of teams whose white jersey is better than their dark jersey. (Detroit and Toronto spring to mind, but that's about it, IMO.) Teams should, inasmuch is possible, wear their best look at home. 90 times out of 100, that's going to be the dark.

i actually prefer white jerseys 8 out of 10 times, but yes, the home team should be wearing their colors.

Archived