Ice Cube, and Allen Iverson formally announce the BIG3 (3-on-3 Professional Basketball League).

Luke_Groundrunner

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788191-ice-cube-says-ea-2k-sports-interested-in-big-3-video-game?share=other

This could be interesting and potentially fun, under certain circumstances. I’ve never watched a BIG3 game but the concept seems interesting. From a purely video game perspective, if this is a $20ish fun little game that isn’t trying to be a AAA 2K clone, I’d try it. Imo it could also work as a game mode or addition to 2K or Live, although I’m sure EA or 2K would make it a ridiculously overpriced DLC. 

(also posted in the video games thread)

spacer.png

So I've been flipping back and forth between the BIG3 & The Basketball Tournament games tonight then suddenly realized that I didn't watch a single second of the NBA Summer League ? 

Ah well ?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

20 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

So I've been flipping back and forth between the BIG3 & The Basketball Tournament games tonight then suddenly realized that I didn't watch a single second of the NBA Summer League ? 

Ah well ?

They weren't as agressive trying to get people to watch this year. I barely caught any games this year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

53 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They weren't as agressive trying to get people to watch this year. I barely caught any games this year.

A live Friday night timeslot hasn't helped.  Some of the nights on big FOX with 5pm starts were jettisoned to another FOX affiliated channel on the west coast.

• 5 months later...

Well, they will have some major changes for this season.

1- Add four more teams will be added, to make 12

2- Will look to play twice a week, and in 18 cities. Last year, they played weekly in just 12 cities.

3- Lisa Leslie will coach a team. Her team will be the "Triplets". The other three team names are TBA.

4- The age minimum of 30 has been lowered to 27.

They will not return FS1/FOX but have yet to name a media partner. 

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Well, they will have some major changes for this season.

1- Add four more teams, to make 12

2- Will look to play twice a week, and in 18 cities. Last year they played weekly in just 12 cities.

3- Lisa Leslie will coach a team.

They will not return FS1/FOX but have yet to name a media partner. 

ESPN+? It's during the summer when they need the extra options to fill slots. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

ESPN+? It's during the summer when they need the extra options to fill slots. 

Ice Cube is looking to partner with Viacom, along with Alex&Ani founder Carolyn Rafaelian to purchase some or all of the ESPN RSNs.

I'd think a Viacom cable channel, like Paramount Network, first, maybe even Nickelodeon to attract kids as in a simulcast.  

10 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Ice Cube is looking to partner with Viacom, along with Alex&Ani founder Carolyn Rafaelian to purchase some or all of the ESPN RSNs.

I'd think a Viacom cable channel, like Paramount Network, first, maybe even Nickelodeon to attract kids as in a simulcast.  

It's been reported that Sinclair is the only bidder for the RSN's. And a very low bid according to CNBC.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

With WWE Smackdown moving to Fox, I could see USA Network taking a chance with BIG3 now that it has a proven fan base. In addition to that being under the Universal umbrella could open up the door for NBC and/or NBCSN to air some games. Just a thought.

Lowering the league's minimum age to 27 was likely done due to expanding by 4 more teams. There's only so many 30 and up former NBA players out there. Got to open up the talent pool a little.

10 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

I know at least it's a Women's World Cup/Gold Cup year, but geez you'd think with UFC gone that Big3 would at least get some non-random-MLB-quasi-GOTW summer programming on for FS1

Cube and his business partner claim that they had some "non-sports" issues with FS1 and the parent company as told by the LA Times.

• 2 months later...

BUMP

Couple BIG3 updates going into 2019 season.

• There's four new teams. Aliens, Bivouac, Enemies and Triplets
  • Lisa Leslie is the head coach of Triplets
  • New league signee Joe Johnson named captain of Triplets
  • New league signee Gilbert Arenas named captain of Enemies
  • Kenyon Martin retired from pro basketball and will become the new head coach of Trilogy
  • As of now no word on why Rick Mahorn is no longer coaching Trilogy
  • New league signee Jason Terry named captain of Trilogy

• 2 weeks later...

CBS and CBS Sports Network have picked up the BIG 3:

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived