dcameronh

"The Spring League"

Recommended Posts

KittSmith_95    628

The main reason minor football doesn't work is that guys who can't get a NFL job tend to go to the CFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buzzcut    60
2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It's called the NCAASEC.

Fixed,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
raysox    1,212
2 hours ago, PackMan said:

Huh. But yet college/minor league hockey, baseball and basketball coexist. (not to mention soccer)

Yeah but it's free to the NFL and does a damn good job of developing starting players. You aren't seasoning players you expect to contribute in the D-League straight out of college,  just bench guys that can add depth before you send them back down. and very rarely do players play in the NCAA and MLB/NHL in the same season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sykotyk    307

Football is a lot more costly given the number of players required and how few games are played in a typical season.

 

Baseball has 60-game seasons for even the shortest minor leagues. Hockey, too. With USHL at 60 games.

 

Basketball can basically be played in almost any gymnasium in the country. The cost of transporting 12-15 guys per team around is not difficult. Even if just a few hundred fans are in attendance it's not that bad.

 

Football, you need at least 45 players to have a decently segregated offensive-and-defensive roster, multitude of coaches for all the different positions. Major stadiums that are going to charge rent. Transporting those players around is a lot more costly than a hockey or baseball team (which tend to move by bus during road trips, where football is a one trip out, one trip home, once per week).

 

And you really can't charge much more than minor league baseball or hockey charges in order to get fans to show up. Especially to a team that has zero history behind it at the start.

 

Ergo, NCAA is more than enough for a developmental league that the average player lasts just over a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 9:54 PM, Sykotyk said:

Football is a lot more costly given the number of players required and how few games are played in a typical season.

 

Baseball has 60-game seasons for even the shortest minor leagues. Hockey, too. With USHL at 60 games.

 

Basketball can basically be played in almost any gymnasium in the country. The cost of transporting 12-15 guys per team around is not difficult. Even if just a few hundred fans are in attendance it's not that bad.

 

Football, you need at least 45 players to have a decently segregated offensive-and-defensive roster, multitude of coaches for all the different positions. Major stadiums that are going to charge rent. Transporting those players around is a lot more costly than a hockey or baseball team (which tend to move by bus during road trips, where football is a one trip out, one trip home, once per week).

 

And you really can't charge much more than minor league baseball or hockey charges in order to get fans to show up. Especially to a team that has zero history behind it at the start.

 

Ergo, NCAA is more than enough for a developmental league that the average player lasts just over a season.

The USHL isn't a minor league though, it is a junior league that mostly feeds into college. Or were you just referencing for the amount of games? At that point it would be better to reference the CHL because they are actually getting paid to play, although it is only a tiny bit, and has a majority that jumps straight to NHL, AHL, or whatever else. Those boys sit at around 72 games I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    990
2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Very interested to see where this league goes, even if its a place for undrafted guys to get ready for camps in July.

Woods is just going to make up a number or a use a term like "callup/callback" to try to convince people that these three weeks got someone back to the NFL. The reality is that those guys may sign a no guarantee FA contract.  Were any guys signed this weekend after the draft? If any were, Woods hasn't taken credit for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sec19Row53    444
4 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Very interested to see where this league goes, even if its a place for undrafted guys to get ready for camps in July.

If a guy is undrafted and not in camp, he needs to go on with his life, not play in a fly-by-night league.  This coming from a guy who is a fan of semi-pro football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stumpygremlin    133
Quote

The USFL had established itself in the spring during its three seasons, and probably could have continued indefinitely with that schedule, if its owners had not inexplicably decided to follow the lead of a certain orange-hued monster and attempt a move to the fall.

Image result for sesame street monstersImage result for elmo

Image result for telly monsterImage result for grover

Now, now. Don't go insulting monsters like that! :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 9:47 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

If a guy is undrafted and not in camp, he needs to go on with his life, not play in a fly-by-night league.  This coming from a guy who is a fan of semi-pro football.

 

While I understand your sentiment, I don't know if I agree with it. Now, this is coming from a guy who has played and worked in semi-pro football myself. It seems to me that there need to be more options for playing football that allow you to get paid and make a career out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sec19Row53    444
59 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

 

While I understand your sentiment, I don't know if I agree with it. Now, this is coming from a guy who has played and worked in semi-pro football myself. It seems to me that there need to be more options for playing football that allow you to get paid and make a career out of it.

Need to be and 'are' are two entirely different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crosfam    115
1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

 

While I understand your sentiment, I don't know if I agree with it. Now, this is coming from a guy who has played and worked in semi-pro football myself. It seems to me that there need to be more options for playing football that allow you to get paid and make a career out of it.

I think there is a solid market for decent spring league pro football.  I know I miss football right now.  it need not be the NFL. I'd like to see the return of the USFL to non-NFL cities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    990
5 hours ago, crosfam said:

I think there is a solid market for decent spring league pro football.  I know I miss football right now.  it need not be the NFL. I'd like to see the return of the USFL to non-NFL cities. 

News Flash: There isn't a market. If there was one MLFB would've played last year (or this year) and people would've invested in it as it is a penny stock. Heck, there have been "new" USFL threads here since approximately 2011 and even after then CEO Jamie Cuadra was charged with embezzlement, all of their public statements were about gathering proper funding before moving forward.

 

Remember the NAFL in 2015 after they no showed for their own tryouts in Atlanta and Pittsburgh?

http://www.wtae.com/article/new-pro-football-league-is-no-show-at-its-own-tryout/7470616

 

 

It's still a business driven by the gate and folks don't pay good $$$ for s#itty football. Fans will not pay the prices needed to sustain itself. This league had the nerve to charge $51/ticket for what weren't even true games, rather scrimmages.

 

And while there are growing distribution models within new media, they cannot cover the costs like the TV deals which the NFL has because the new league(s) are unknown products.

 

 

Edited by dfwabel
detail and a link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sec19Row53    444
On 5/1/2017 at 8:47 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

If a guy is undrafted and not in camp, he needs to go on with his life, not play in a fly-by-night league.  This coming from a guy who is a fan of semi-pro football.

 

6 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

 

While I understand your sentiment, I don't know if I agree with it. Now, this is coming from a guy who has played and worked in semi-pro football myself. It seems to me that there need to be more options for playing football that allow you to get paid and make a career out of it.

 

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Need to be and 'are' are two entirely different things.

 

4 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Multi-quoting to try to capture this properly.

 

The NFL is the be-all and end-all of making a career out of football. Yes, the CFL exists and is an option in Canada.

You state that there needs to be more options for making a career. I had previously stated that if you aren't in a camp, you need to move on, as you WON'T be making a career in football.  Now, you WANT more options for guys to make a career.  As @dfwabel stated, there is no market for want you WANT. Since there is no market, what "needs to be" and what you want are not the same.

 

Another way - you'd like for guys to be able to make a living in football other than the NFL. You've played semi-pro. Have you ever played semi-pro in front of 5000 fans?  That's a helluva gate that I saw twice in 5 years with a semipro team who traces its roots back to 1953.  They don't pay their players.  Teams that they play against may or may not exist from year to year. Why? Money, or the lack thereof. If there is insufficient money to keep a team or league afloat from year to year (heck, even from week to week), what makes you think players could make a living off of it?

 

And no, TV isn't the answer.  People don't show up to watch it - no one will pay to broadcast it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    990
46 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

 

 

 

Multi-quoting to try to capture this properly.

 

The NFL is the be-all and end-all of making a career out of football. Yes, the CFL exists and is an option in Canada.

You state that there needs to be more options for making a career. I had previously stated that if you aren't in a camp, you need to move on, as you WON'T be making a career in football.  Now, you WANT more options for guys to make a career.  As @dfwabel stated, there is no market for want you WANT. Since there is no market, what "needs to be" and what you want are not the same.

 

Another way - you'd like for guys to be able to make a living in football other than the NFL. You've played semi-pro. Have you ever played semi-pro in front of 5000 fans?  That's a helluva gate that I saw twice in 5 years with a semipro team who traces its roots back to 1953.  They don't pay their players.  Teams that they play against may or may not exist from year to year. Why? Money, or the lack thereof. If there is insufficient money to keep a team or league afloat from year to year (heck, even from week to week), what makes you think players could make a living off of it?

 

And no, TV isn't the answer.  People don't show up to watch it - no one will pay to broadcast it.

There's this belief by some that since Twitter, Amazon, and others are streaming live sports that the American public wants spring football AND the streaming company will pay big $$$ for the content. Content for a business who would have no revenue just a mythical market value.

 

However, they fail to not only consider the importance of the live gate, but also that a new league and its teams have zero community connection. Lower FBS teams, FCS teams have great community connections, but they cannot draw (and they have employees who don't want to pay to see the product).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    990

Well, out of 90+ participants, two guys received FA contracts....

 

TWO.

 

One with WAS: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1939216439690129&id=1834445640167210&__tn__=*s

 

The other with CAR, two weeks later:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1946540475624392&substory_index=0&id=1834445640167210&__tn__=*s

 

Just over 2% does not mean a league is needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now