North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

I didn't bother with the All-Star Game, though I rarely do, so. 

This idea is coming up, and it seems interesting, like there would at least be something to play for. But I worry it would be like a USMNT/Mexico junior varsity match, with a couple South American guys running circles round everybody else. I know they're going to keep on trying to figure this out, but I just don't think there's really a compelling reason for an ASG as long as international play exists.

Yup. 100% agree.

I mean, I get it, bring in the sponsors and show them a good time but honestly, it's just another game to add to an already busy schedule. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Did the commissioner say anything note worthy during halftime of the ASG? Missed whatever he said doing care of the laundry.

No, nor was he asked any hard questions. Talked up Atlanta, Nashville, Cincinnati and didn't even mention Miami that I recall. It was Max Bretos and not Ale Moreno asking the questions so we knew Austin/Columbus wasn't going to be mentioned. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

No, nor was he asked any hard questions. Talked up Atlanta, Nashville, Cincinnati and didn't even mention Miami that I recall. It was Max Bretos and not Ale Moreno asking the questions so we knew Austin/Columbus wasn't going to be mentioned. 

I mean, he probably specifically said they wouldn't talk about Austin or whatever. Not surprising really, and honestly, not really sure what he'd say. Probably something vaguely positive, but ultimately pointless. 

I'm still not sold on Nashville. They've done a great job with the Predators, while the Titans don't have nearly that same fan fervor. Granted that the Titans have been mostly worthless since 99. Then again, I don't think anybody thought Atlanta would be anywhere near the success it's been, so who knows? 

It seems like there's been an uptick in fan violence this season. Not sure if that's true or if I've just noticed it more, but it's very disappointing. 

Also, in the grand tradition of SKC-Houston games being a mess, the Dynamo concluded this game with 8 men and their manager got sent off while in the tunnel at halftime. 

Sounders now unbeaten in 7 with an amazing two-goal stoppage time win tonight. Sorry Loons; it's fate.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Blackburn rovers make laughable attempt to sign Will Trapp.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/07/report-crew-sc-receive-offer-wil-trapp-blackburn-rovers

Save The Crew releases renderings for a proposed stadium in downtown Columbus, with actual drawings instead of stealing San Jose and Crew stadiums pictures and slapping them on a map.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zigfryj8df9xe2/Save The Crew_Stadium Proposal.pdf?dl=0

Ohio adds 44 more days onto the suit by AG DeWine. The judge also requires updates every 14 days on how negotiations have gone to buy the team.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20180806/crew-sc--judge-orders-another-pause-in-lawsuit-to-stop-move-to-austin

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1) Hell of an effort by LAFC in that US Open Cup semifinal. Just couldn’t get the captain to close the shootout. (How was Rossi not one of the first five shooters?) Would’ve been awesome to get a trophy in the first year, but I guess there’s still time for that.

2) Why are those US Open Cup broadcasts such garbage?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

8 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

1) Hell of an effort by LAFC in that US Open Cup semifinal. Just couldn’t get the captain to close the shootout. (How was Rossi not one of the first five shooters?) Would’ve been awesome to get a trophy in the first year, but I guess there’s still time for that.

2) Why are those US Open Cup broadcasts such garbage?

Why aren't they on ESPN? This is why no one outside of the teams playing in it takes the Open Cup seriously.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Why aren't they on ESPN? This is why no one outside of the teams playing in it takes the Open Cup seriously.

ESPN 2 was showing the movie Dodgeball as a close to its "ESPN 8: The Ocho" programming for 8/8.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

ESPN 2 was showing the movie Dodgeball as a close to its "ESPN 8: The Ocho" programming for 8/8.

If you can dodge a wrench than you.............ah, nevermind.

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Apparently they can dodge putting semi-finals on TV while showing ICC games instead. 

Did Soccer United Marketing actually sell the TV rights to anything but the Final?  Do you have proof of a "Dodge"?

US Soccer uses SUM to sell their games and FOX splits rights with ESPN through 2022. There's more than just ESPN on this. Your disappointment needs to be more with SUM as its MLS owners don't want to be embarrassed by lower level clubs on a national stage.

6 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Did Soccer United Marketing actually sell the TV rights to anything but the Final?  Do you have proof of a "Dodge"?

US Soccer uses SUM to sell their games and FOX splits rights with ESPN through 2022. There's more than just ESPN on this. Your disappointment needs to be more with SUM as its MLS owners don't want to be embarrassed by lower level clubs on a national stage.

Since the Final four were all MLS clubs there was no embarrassment to be had. ESPN, SUM and MLS all have a part to play in these games not being on TV. It's supposed to be the country's best soccer tournament, it should be televised like one. I;m not saying there's a "Dodge", whatever that is, I just think they should be on television and not ESPN+.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Tonight's Austin City Council meeting is getting tense and security had to break up the opposing parties shoving each other.

And apparently PSV and the Austin developer touted creating the required MLS academy as a "community benefit" of having the stadium, however they failed to mention how the stadium would benefit girls soccer and hasn't made many folks happy.

6 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Tonight's Austin City Council meeting is getting tense and security had to break up the opposing parties shoving each other.

And apparently PSV and the Austin developer touted creating the required MLS academy as a "community benefit" of having the stadium, however they failed to mention how the stadium would benefit girls soccer and hasn't made many folks happy.

I'm not watching until the University of Phoenix students start talking about crunching the numbers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Precourt lobbyist Richard Suttle to the Austin council, "Your staff took a two-page long resolution and turned it into a 30-page term sheet... There are many poisoned pills in what I've seen passed out tonight. This city will not get an MLS team if [the deal] gets any more unbalanced financially."

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Precourt lobbyist Richard Suttle to the Austin council, "Your staff took a two-page long resolution and turned it into a 30-page term sheet... There are many poisoned pills in what I've seen passed out tonight. This city will not get an MLS team if [the deal] gets any more unbalanced financially."

He's done a good job of being an ass and the mayor's been backing him up which is pretty creepy. He almost cried having to admit the academy is a MLS requirement and not a benefit. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived