Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2018

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Tonight's Austin City Council meeting is getting tense and security had to break up the opposing parties shoving each other.

 

And apparently PSV and the Austin developer touted creating the required MLS academy as a "community benefit" of having the stadium, however they failed to mention how the stadium would benefit girls soccer and hasn't made many folks happy.

 

 

The fact that the Anti-MLS guy is named Chivas made me chuckle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No vote in Austin tonight. They'll just review the amendments to accept/decline tonight.

Next Wednesday, August 15 will be a special council meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, Chicago has decided to boost their laggard attendance in another underwhelming season by...

 

*checks notes*

 

....banning all organized supporter activity from the stadium and revoking more season tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Precourt lobbyist Richard Suttle to the Austin council, "Your staff took a two-page long resolution and turned it into a 30-page term sheet... There are many poisoned pills in what I've seen passed out tonight. This city will not get an MLS team if [the deal] gets any more unbalanced financially."

 

 

 

"This city will not get the thing that it didn't ask for" Whoooooo wow, what a threat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Austin mayor has gotten over 10 grand in bribes  political contributions from the Precourt team. FYI. 

 

He's got the worst attorneys and they're all so bumbling. The team's being stolen by the biggest idiots in pro sports. That's the worst part. Precourt is so completely unimpressive as a businessman and person and leader and when you learn that his dad bought this team for him, that he's never had to work for anything before, that his career is pushing money from one place to the next you see why he is the way he is when someone stands in his way. It's like a movie with a villain and a team of dumbass henchman except the winning outcome for us is he's going to sell the team and scurry off with 300 million dollars. 

 

If I lived in Austin I wouldn't want this guy anywhere near my city. If I'm Don Garber I'm doing all I can to get this guy out of my roster of owners because he sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Digby said:

 

"This city will not get the thing that it didn't ask for" Whoooooo wow, what a threat!

He actually tried to push a vote last night and the mayor told him he'd probably lose and he still wanted it. It's just amazing to me that Don Garber is letting this go on. Suttle also tried saying that he couldn't guarantee MLS would grant an extension when Garber was on record saying there's no deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like the kind of guy whose best college memory was hazing new members of his frat, all the while desperately dodging academic probation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wings said:

member_headshot_anthony_precourt1.jpg.1091d7b2892942d6909022b765afa234.jpg

Sadly, that's the only dress outfit he owns.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

That looks like the kind of guy whose best college memory was hazing new members of his frat, all the while desperately dodging academic probation.

He reminds me of the bumbling son in Smokey and the Bandit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my first time seeing Audi Field on TV. The pitch looks a little small, doesn't it? And while I don't love the field-level suites (and blank space) on the middle TV-facing sideline, I do think it's otherwise a nice-looking stadium. I wish it were fuller though.

 

Given the events of the weekend in DC, it occurred to me that "Proud Boys" sounds like a perfect supporters club name. It seems almost odd not to have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

This is my first time seeing Audi Field on TV. The pitch looks a little small, doesn't it? And while I don't love the field-level suites (and blank space) on the middle TV-facing sideline, I do think it's otherwise a nice-looking stadium. I wish it were fuller though.

 

Given the events of the weekend in DC, it occurred to me that "Proud Boys" sounds like a perfect supporters club name. It seems almost odd not to have it.

Pitchwise, it's 1m wider than the UEFA category 4 standard. (105X69, compared to the UEFA standard of 105x68). Id hardly say it's small at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's a weird angle on TV.

 

All three Sunday MLS games were a lot of fun today. Especially that miracle Rooney assist at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case you haven't seen the Rooney play mentioned above, check it out. Unless you hate soccer. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

In case you haven't seen the Rooney play mentioned above, check it out. Unless you hate soccer

 

 

 

Judging by a significant portion of people who troll @MLS, yes, plenty of people hate soccer. Or at least can't get over the fact that the Premier League isn't in the United States.

 

Thanks for sharing the video. It's still awesome. Play of the year, probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

Judging by a significant portion of people who troll @MLS, yes, plenty of people hate soccer. Or at least can't get over the fact that the Premier League isn't in the United States.

 

Thanks for sharing the video. It's still awesome. Play of the year, probably.

"Promotion, relegation, and hooliganism are the key to saving American soccer!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy.  :censored:

 

That is an amazing play.  Two amazing plays.  Put them together, in stoppage time to first save and then win the game, and it's probably the best of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone notice Acosta blatantly tripping the Orlando City player leaving the box to prevent the two-on-one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GFB said:

Did anyone notice Acosta blatantly tripping the Orlando City player leaving the box to prevent the two-on-one? 

I believe that was part of the review after the goal, not sure though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 6:35 AM, Red Wolf said:

In case you haven't seen the Rooney play mentioned above, check it out. Unless you hate soccer. 

 

 

 

These are the kinds of plays that help to cement soccer fandom. I’ve enjoyed this game THROUGHLY over the past year or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me, too. 

 

I don’t care that MLS isn’t the Premier League.  I don’t care that it’s not the best league on the planet.  It’s really good soccer, and it’s local, and I love it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.