Recommended Posts

You would think of veteran like J.R. Smith would know the difference between your team having the lead and the game being tied. That was one hell of a brain cramp there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the two refs on that baseline make contradicting calls anyway? One said it was a charge while the other called it a block? If that’s the case, it was probably a good idea to review that play. 

 

I think all of the “rigged” talk is being a little bit dramatic. That’s how NBA fans are, though. Every single year I hear at least once about how the finals were “rigged”. 

 

And all of the hate on the Bay Area is absolutely HILARIOUS. Sure Silicon Valley has taken over a big faction of the region, but you would think that it’s turned into Sodom and Gomorrah with the way people talk about how it’s “ruined the world!” Get over yourselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the two refs on that baseline make contradicting calls anyway? One said it was a charge while the other called it a block? If that’s the case, it was probably a good idea to review that play. 

 

I think all of the “rigged” talk is being a little bit dramatic. That’s how NBA fans are, though. Every single year I hear at least once about how the finals were “rigged”. 

 

And all of the hate on the Bay Area is absolutely HILARIOUS. Sure Silicon Valley has taken over a big faction of the region, but you would think that it’s turned into Sodom and Gomorrah with the way people talk about how it’s “ruined the world!” Get over yourselves. 

 

People are focusing on the the reversal call.  Which is drawing attention from a slew of other calls that are nearly inexplicable (yes, I understand that its sport, its basketball, they cant get everything).  The issue were missing is the volume of pretty obvious calls that went in favor of Golden State in 4Q and OT... the clear Kevin Durrant strip that was called a foul, the holding of LeBron's forearm that was called a strip, Curry slappy on LeBron's arms 4 or 5 times at the 3 point arc, the immesurably long leash Draymond has to say/do whatever he wants for as long as he wants, among others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the two refs on that baseline make contradicting calls anyway? One said it was a charge while the other called it a block? If that’s the case, it was probably a good idea to review that play. 

 

I think all of the “rigged” talk is being a little bit dramatic. That’s how NBA fans are, though. Every single year I hear at least once about how the finals were “rigged”. 

 

And all of the hate on the Bay Area is absolutely HILARIOUS. Sure Silicon Valley has taken over a big faction of the region, but you would think that it’s turned into Sodom and Gomorrah with the way people talk about how it’s “ruined the world!” Get over yourselves. 

 

They did and landed on charge, but they can't review it for that alone.  They can only review it for whether or not he was in the restricted area, which wasn't even questionable.  It seems like they used a technicality to review something they otherwise shouldn't have been able to because none of them wanted to bear the pressure of actually making the call on the floor.

 

That seems like a bad rule to begin with.  You shouldn't be able to review a judgement call like that in slow motion and overturn it.  I'm not completely familiar with the text of the NBA's charging rule but I've seen a lot of people saying his feet weren't planted, which I'm pretty sure isn't actually a requirement.  Like CLEstones said, that might have been the most egregious call since the Cavs would have had the ball with a two point lead and ~34 seconds left, but there were a ton of calls in the last five minutes that went the Warriors way.  I don't think it's rigged because why would it be, but this is the third straight Warriors game where they've greatly benefitted from poor officiating.  It's getting a little ridiculous.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NBA officiating has always been "suspect" dating back years. Why should we be or always act surprised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Game 1 wasn't even a sellout. I think the whole "Roaracle," "greatest fans ever" thing can officially be put to rest.

All fanbases are mostly the same. When somebody says they have the best fans in the world, it’s probably true because they’re all pretty much equal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Game 1 wasn't even a sellout. I think the whole "Roaracle," "greatest fans ever" thing can officially be put to rest.

 

This is a really bad take. First off, I think you’re mixing up Bay Area sports teams with the greatest fans ever thing. That’s always been what the Sharks get trashed for. 

 

Second, it was like $600-$1000 just to get into the building last night. It didn’t have anything to do with apathy or whatever. Have you ever actually been to a Warriors game? It’s, legit, the loudest place I’ve ever been to watch a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for the Warriors fans who hung in through all the bad years but got priced out. The Sharks get ripped for marketing how great their fans are, as they should, but Warriors fans were legitimately faithful, and being faithful to a bad NBA team is really hard. At least baseball is still, at worst, a nice day outside, and football is scarce enough that you can deal with it, but basketball? uuuugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I feel bad for the Warriors fans who hung in through all the bad years but got priced out. The Sharks get ripped for marketing how great their fans are, as they should, but Warriors fans were legitimately faithful, and being faithful to a bad NBA team is really hard. At least baseball is still, at worst, a nice day outside, and football is scarce enough that you can deal with it, but basketball? uuuugh.

 

Piston management tried to disguise empty seats as t-shirts.  Nothing sadder than bad NBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

You can only review block/charge as part of a restricted area review. The play should've never been reviewed, as LeBron was clearly well outside the restricted area.

Yes on review he was clearly outside. In real time it's a close play at a crucial time, review it and get it right. Which they did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, OaklandIsBack said:

Yes on review he was clearly outside. In real time it's a close play at a crucial time, review it and get it right. Which they did

 

It wasn't a close play, though.  If the ref at the baseline can't clearly see he was out of the restricted zone, he has no business calling an NBA Finals game.  This isn't close enough to warrant a review.

 

lebron-charge-775x465.png

 

edit: added a picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, See Red said:

 

It wasn't a close play, though.  If the ref at the baseline can't clearly see he was out of the restricted zone, he has no business calling an NBA Finals game.  This isn't close enough to warrant a review.

 

lebron-charge-775x465.png

 

edit: added a picture

Imagine if a dude was this far behind the 3-point line and the ref thought it might’ve been a 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, the NBA's "Last Two Minute Report" notes that Draymond should have been called for a lane violation on George Hill's second free throw, so J.R. Smith's boneheaded decision shouldn't have happened.  I didn't even notice it until I re-watched again but it's pretty clear and something one would expect the officials to catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, See Red said:

For what it's worth, the NBA's "Last Two Minute Report" notes that Draymond should have been called for a lane violation on George Hill's second free throw, so J.R. Smith's boneheaded decision shouldn't have happened.  I didn't even notice it until I re-watched again but it's pretty clear and something one would expect the officials to catch.

 

This is absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, there's a lane violation almost every single time. The way old people bitch and moan about traveling never being called is how I feel about lane violations in the NBA. You're more likely to be struck by lightning than called for a lane violation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I can’t bitch about the lane violation given how hilarious I found it that Pacers fans wouldn’t shut up about it during the first-round series.

 

I dunno, how many different things had to go wrong for the Cavs down the stretch to lose that game? It’s a lot, which is really sad and frustrating. I’ve dealt with more gut-wrenching losses in sports that are far more important than pro sports, but that really hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reveal of LeBron's suit having shorts as he leaves the press conference in a huff is so good. Great comic timing. I like the purse, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I enjoy ESPN/ABC's coverage of the NBA, I kind of miss NBC's coverage due to this awesome theme:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The reveal of LeBron's suit having shorts as he leaves the press conference in a huff is so good. Great comic timing. I like the purse, too.

Yes he showed us his inner Angus Young, but as Dan and Izzy alluded to on "HQ", that entire moment was even better than his game performance.

 

1-LeBron's responses to Mark Schwarz.

2-Right next to Schwarz is ESPN's Cavs writer Dave McMeniman who biting his lip as he knew LeBron won't respond well and wants to giggle.

3-Upon exiting, LeBron acknowledges other writers in the press room after saying, "Be better tomorrow."

Start from the 3:25 mark until 6:55

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The reveal of LeBron's suit having shorts as he leaves the press conference in a huff is so good. Great comic timing. I like the purse, too.

Viola Davis walked so LeBron could run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now