Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

58 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The previous set had some redeeming qualities, but it also had some major flaws..

-the helmet, obviously

-the glossy texture stuff on the shoulders

-the black numbers on the teal jersey

-the silly pants stripe

-the black jersey being primary

-the ridiculous JAGS patch 

-the empty sleeves

If you fix those issues (which, honestly are all pretty small issues - but add up to a big mess), it really would be a decent, serviceable set.. The extraneous details are what ruin it though..

I actually didn't mind it when it was unveiled, but the more I saw it, and the more details I saw/noticed, the worse it got..

You might be the nitpickiest person on this site.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Supporting @oldschoolvikings with this response.

I'm sorry that you seem to take it personally that many people think the old Jaguars uniforms sucked all sorts of donkey balls.  Somewhere in the old thread I'm sure I ran through the same litany of dislikes that he just ran through. No, it's not just the helmet. Much like "D'backs", a nickname of a nickname should never appear on a uniform.  Spiking things and shiny strips are only there because someone at Nike wanted to make a name or something. Evven though we've already bashed the helmet, could someone at Nike have come up with better Nike-speak than saying it was the Jaguar hunting from out ofthe shadows, because if it's coming out of the shadows, the shadow should be at the back of the helmet, NOT THE FRONT!

[get off my lawn]

“Many”

I love how people get the support of 1 or 2 people on here and all of a sudden “most” people, “almost everyone”, or the “majority” always seem to agree with them.

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

The way the gold collar looks on the teal jersey is enough to make me like the new uniforms better than the old ones. It looks... so bad.

Related image

That tiny little gold slash, which they still have, just a different color is enough for you to make you hate an entire uniform? You must be hard to please. That’s absolutely ridiculous is what it is.

20 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm sorry but the Dbacks script has looked like a joke since it came out. Especially since the capital "A" which was the home jersey from 2001-2006 is infinitely superior. 

What’s wrong with the script? Like why can’t sports be fun instead of being Uber serious, no fun or flair 24/7?

I was slowly warming up to the old set after they got the new collars. This photo makes the set look good (aside from the helmet). 

9038045_web1_jaguars-patriots-football_1

Maybe because of how bland and empty the new sets are, it probably is fooling me in thinking that the old sets were good. The old sets did have issues but they were a few tweaks away from look decent at best. 

XM4KeeA.png

16 minutes ago, Dboi2001 said:

What’s wrong with the script? Like why can’t sports be fun instead of being Uber serious, no fun or flair 24/7?

D-backs is a really lame abbreviation to stick on a jersey. Maybe because it's because the initial doesn't flow and they can't decide whether the "b" should lower case or upper case, or it just doesn't have the same ring as "Sixers" or "Cavs" or "A's." Plus every time I read it, it looks more like "D-bags" than anything else. 

Fun is good but "D-backs" isn't fun, its just stupid. Just because a design isn't completely spartan doesn't make it fun. 

Especially when the "A" logo is already an option. 

1 hour ago, Dboi2001 said:

Care to explain or are you just gonna spout nonsense? What is wrong about this look? The piping on the pants matches the sleeves, the numbers are great and the jags patch is sick. Outside of the reflective shoulders (which are honestly a non issue in most cases and I didn’t even notice for a while) they looked great and fit the identity of the jags franchise. Seriously why do people hate fun and unique uniforms? Sorry they’re not just generic pallet swaps 

jagsunistealwhite.jpg

If you change about ten individual things on it, then yeah, I can see what you’re saying, but otherwise, anyone could flip this nonsense back on you:

Why do you prefer flashy, theatrical, and over designed uniforms that frankly look pretty questionable on most grown adults?

Answer: that’s your personal taste. Stop lighting people up for having different tastes than you like it’s unfathomable for people to still have that opinion in 2018. This is internet fashion, not women’s suffrage or civil rights.

My opinion: the old uniform wasn’t great. It was too complex and colorful; an over correction from the set previous. It suffered from the “lets jam every color into every element” design philosophy, something that feels very formulaic, easy, and dated to me.

However, (looking at the teal uniform) take the black from those sleeve caps and move it out to the collar and cuffs to sit against the gold sliver, run the pant stripe to full length, take some or all the trim off the numbers (those are far too complex to work on an already complex uniform), go with white numbers, white pants, and a solid black helmet, and I think the coals are really heating up.

*Most* of the numbers in the previous set are nice and worth building on. You chose the 3 and 4 to illustrate your point, which are the two absolute worst examples, in my opinion. That 3 is an affront to typographic design, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find many who disagree.

The new uniform is a solid, decent uniform. It’s also undercooked and bland, and the combinations we’re likely to see most often will emphasize the more generic potential it has rather than the more unique potential it has, but it’s not missing much. It’s a heck of a lot closer to a great uniform than the previous one was, in my very humble opinion.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, Brown1 said:

“Many”

I love how people get the support of 1 or 2 people on here and all of a sudden “most” people, “almost everyone”, or the “majority” always seem to agree with them.

Sorry for your dislike of my choice of words. I feel comfortable that many is far more accurate than 1 or 2.

It's where I sit.

37 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

If you change about ten individual things on it, then yeah, I can see what you’re saying, but otherwise, anyone could flip this nonsense back on you:

Why do you prefer flashy, theatrical, and over designed uniforms that frankly look pretty questionable on most grown adults?

Answer: that’s your personal taste. Stop lighting people up for having different tastes than you like it’s unfathomable for people to still have that opinion in 2018. This is internet fashion, not women’s suffrage or civil rights.

My opinion: the old uniform wasn’t great. It was too complex and colorful; an over correction from the set previous. It suffered from the “lets jam every color into every element” design philosophy, something that feels very formulaic, easy, and dated to me.

However, (looking at the teal uniform) take the black from those sleeve caps and move it out to the collar and cuffs to sit against the gold sliver, run the pant stripe to full length, take some or all the trim off the numbers (those are far too complex to work on an already complex uniform), go with white numbers, white pants, and a solid black helmet, and I think the coals are really heating up.

*Most* of the numbers in the previous set are nice and worth building on. You chose the 3 and 4 to illustrate your point, which are the two absolute worst examples, in my opinion. That 3 is an affront to typographic design, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find many who disagree.

The new uniform is a solid, decent uniform. It’s also undercooked and bland, and the combinations we’re likely to see most often will emphasize the more generic potential it has rather than the more unique potential it has, but it’s not missing much. It’s a heck of a lot closer to a great uniform than the previous one was, in my very humble opinion.

Well why do you like seeing bland and plain T Shirt designs on grown men? Plain doesn’t mean serious. Why do I like ‘flashy’ jerseys? Because I like variety. I don’t want every team to look the same and if that means looking flashy so be it but if it means using the most basic model possible fine. The raiders are some of my favorite in the nfl despite having a single tiny black stripe. I don’t want every team to be flashy because it’ll get boring but I don’t want every team to be generic Madden 12 build a team. The issue is that with the jagaurs it not only looks generic but goes against everything the Jaguars franchise is. Imagine the colts deciding to make an ultramodern looking set it just makes no sense. The jags went from one extreme to another 

again why cant sports teams have fun with their uniforms? Why does everything have to look ultraserious no fun no nonsense? 

let’s look at the history of the jags uniforms 

So in 95 they had their inaugural season and these were their look for the first couple of years. Standard block numbers with gold and black trim on a teal jersey featuring a crawling Jaguar on the sleeve. The helmet was glossy black with the logo and the pants had three stripes of black-gold-teal

tony-boselli-offensive-lineman_pg_600.jp

Next they tried a few number fonts before getting it just right. This was the look that would remain with the jags for half their existence. The only major change was the number font was rounded rather than block. The only major change in this time is a black alternate, black pants and changing the teal numbers on white jerseys to black

09000d5d80d4e1ad_gallery_600.jpg

then we get the first major change. Reebok did away with the gold and gave the team a huge makeover. The numbers were more angular and now had these ‘whiskers’ trim on the sides. The most notable feature was the helmet which was a teal color shift helmet. Besides that they weren’t very plain and boring (sounds familiar) but considering the other Reebok designs it could’ve been worse

3467197010_e0e1c90554_o.png

after that Shad Khan bought the Jaguars and with that introduced a new identity. He unveiled a new fierce logo of the jaguar. The uniforms reintroduced gold trim along with an all gold alternate as well as the infamous half gold helmet 

see a pattern here? Every uniform has something unique about them. The jagaurs have always been a unique and these go against it. The jags first uniforms are a testiment that unique isn’t always bad

Okay, that's enough of the squabbling that's been going on in this thread today. Knock it off.

I've already shut down Dboi2001's other thread because it wasn't going anywhere productive. This thread has served a much greater purpose, but I won't hesitate to shut it down too if we feel it's going to go off the rails.

People have different opinions about logos and uniforms, and we're all free to express them. Others are free to disagree, but it has to be done in a civil manner. Threads will get shut down when it goes past the point of civility.

35 minutes ago, Dboi2001 said:

Well why do you like seeing bland and plain T Shirt designs on grown men? Plain doesn’t mean serious. Why do I like ‘flashy’ jerseys? Because I like variety. I don’t want every team to look the same and if that means looking flashy so be it but if it means using the most basic model possible fine. The raiders are some of my favorite in the nfl despite having a single tiny black stripe. I don’t want every team to be flashy because it’ll get boring but I don’t want every team to be generic Madden 12 build a team. The issue is that with the jagaurs it not only looks generic but goes against everything the Jaguars franchise is. Imagine the colts deciding to make an ultramodern looking set it just makes no sense. The jags went from one extreme to another 

again why cant sports teams have fun with their uniforms? Why does everything have to look ultraserious no fun no nonsense? 

let’s look at the history of the jags uniforms 

So in 95 they had their inaugural season and these were their look for the first couple of years. Standard block numbers with gold and black trim on a teal jersey featuring a crawling Jaguar on the sleeve. The helmet was glossy black with the logo and the pants had three stripes of black-gold-teal

tony-boselli-offensive-lineman_pg_600.jp

Next they tried a few number fonts before getting it just right. This was the look that would remain with the jags for half their existence. The only major change was the number font was rounded rather than block. The only major change in this time is a black alternate, black pants and changing the teal numbers on white jerseys to black

09000d5d80d4e1ad_gallery_600.jpg

then we get the first major change. Reebok did away with the gold and gave the team a huge makeover. The numbers were more angular and now had these ‘whiskers’ trim on the sides. The most notable feature was the helmet which was a teal color shift helmet. Besides that they weren’t very plain and boring (sounds familiar) but considering the other Reebok designs it could’ve been worse

3467197010_e0e1c90554_o.png

after that Shad Khan bought the Jaguars and with that introduced a new identity. He unveiled a new fierce logo of the jaguar. The uniforms reintroduced gold trim along with an all gold alternate as well as the infamous half gold helmet 

see a pattern here? Every uniform has something unique about them. The jagaurs have always been a unique and these go against it. The jags first uniforms are a testiment that unique isn’t always bad

I don't think anyone here is against "unique".. But having a solid, unique design does not necessarily mean having something crazy and different just for the sake of it.. The classic Jaguars look featured a unique number font, unique color scheme, and unique mix of traditional elements that created a unique, somewhat modern, and very solid identity.. And none of their "unique" elements strayed too far from the norm to be ill-received, which helped tremendously..

Even their first Reebok makeover was pretty tame.. Apart from the piping, they were fairly traditional, and even the number font was only a slightly modified block - yet it was still unique to them.. but the dropping of gold was a misstep, which they overcorrected with the 2013 rebrand.. Now they basically reverted back to the pre-shad-khan look, only more generic.. 

Something can be simple, classic, and traditional, while still being unique.. You don't have to choose one or the other..

15 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I don't think anyone here is against "unique".. But having a solid, unique design does not necessarily mean having something crazy and different just for the sake of it.. The classic Jaguars look featured a unique number font, unique color scheme, and unique mix of traditional elements that created a unique, somewhat modern, and very solid identity.. And none of their "unique" elements strayed too far from the norm to be ill-received, which helped tremendously..

Even their first Reebok makeover was pretty tame.. Apart from the piping, they were fairly traditional, and even the number font was only a slightly modified block - yet it was still unique to them.. but the dropping of gold was a misstep, which they overcorrected with the 2013 rebrand.. Now they basically reverted back to the pre-shad-khan look, only more generic.. 

Something can be simple, classic, and traditional, while still being unique.. You don't have to choose one or the other..

Dude that’s my point. The current set is not traditional what is tradtional for the Jags is unique and wild looks and yes they were quite different and unique for the time. During the time custom number fonts were a new thing especially rounded ones. The double trim was also unique and one I can’t really think of anyone specific did before. Same for their alternate which was an extension of their current logo. The only other one I can think of was the Bengals. On top of that the jerseys themselves had four colors on them. Most jerseys have only one to three colors at best (including white). These may seem tame now but back then they were pretty major

I just don’t see why people are defending this bland look. The Reebok ones were trashed because of that. Literally no one here has criticized old school uniforms. I even see people praise the Seahawks old crappy uniforms with their creepy logo why it’s because they’re old school and being old school and simple means they can do no wrong. I’m just sick of this mentality of old school=perfect new=awful

Ps being classic for the sake of classic and simplicity isn’t good either

and if you consider the 2015 ones as overcorrected then what does that make these new ones? 

Other than when they switched from teal numbers to black numbers on the white jerseys, did anyone here have any issues with the Fred Taylor-era Jaguars uniforms? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think there's a fundamental question at the heart of the matter:

Where does gold fit into the identity of Jaguars fans?

How you answer than question, more so than questions of blandness or tradition, marks out how one reacts to the new Jaguars uniforms. 

Gold had a limited role in the original set, no role in the 2009 set, and a "complicated" role in the 2013 set.

Clearly, Khan and Coughlin did not feel that gold was a necessary piece of the Jaguars identity. I can understand why one Jaguars fan would feel insulted by this while another might agree on black and teal being the only necessary elements. 

I'm sure that the debate will go on and probably come up again the next time the Jaguars alter their uniforms. 

Where does it fit? ITS 90 PERCENT OF OUR DAM LOGO. Is there any other team that doesn’t feature the primary part of their logo at all? 

Even then moving onto your point for one it’s been with the team since day one during their golden days (no pun intended) and they talked about returning to tradition. Tradition is described as customs passé don from generation to generation. Now why the hell wouldn’t they base it off their original look? And what do you mean by over complicated in the new set? Outside of the helmet it was used for trim like the classic one

black is hardly a jaguar color. It was featured the least amount on our old jerseys. The issue is TC and Khan don’t want to embrace the jags unique colors. No one else in the league has teal and no one else besides the saints uses gold (don’t call Pittsburgh, GB and DC gold they’re not). Now we look like the Panther with our teal and black. Just look at this update and tell me it isn’t a million times better images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzc7VcypEjK710GQKQHFy

• Atomic locked this topic

Archived