TrueYankee26

International Football 2018-2019

2 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

This is a huge improvement for Serie A rights in the U.S. -- ESPN+ is pretty solid from my (albeit limited) Championship experience with it so far.

The main reason i haven't gone over to it yet is complaints from MLS fans that have had their teams away games blacked out with no explanation from ESPN or MLS as to why that's happening. It's occurred with multiple teams. 

13 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'm happy to give ESPN $5/month once they provide an Xbox One app. It remains insane they don't have one yet.

Same boat for me.

They better get their crap together by the time they start airing UFC cards because between MMA and Serie A they are firmly in the "shut up and take my money" realm but I need a way to actually access said content first.

Exactly. And watching on my phone or a browser window is definitely not good enough. And while a $30 Roku could solve my problem, eff that.

And this is probably the best ever year for MLS soccer! Thank God the Fox/ESPN games of the week are generally good.

Looks like Thibaut Courtois has succeeded in forcing a move from Chelsea to Real Madrid, with a season-long loan for Mateo Kovacic as part of the package going the other way.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3589615/chelsea-and-real-madrid-agree-fee-for-transfer-of-goalkeeper-thibaut-courtois

This likely means the world record fee for a goalkeeper will be broken again this summer, as Chelsea panic-buy Kepa from Athletic Bilbao for 80 million euros as a replacement.

8 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Looks like Thibaut Courtois has succeeded in forcing a move from Chelsea to Real Madrid, with a season-long loan for Mateo Kovacic as part of the package going the other way.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3589615/chelsea-and-real-madrid-agree-fee-for-transfer-of-goalkeeper-thibaut-courtois

This likely means the world record fee for a goalkeeper will be broken again this summer, as Chelsea panic-buy Kepa from Athletic Bilbao for 80 million euros as a replacement.

This makes me smile because Chelsea seem to be one player revolt away from becoming a yo-yo club again. It most likely won't happen but I can see them finishing as low as 8th this year. 

In other news, Bayern whipped a provincial club 20-2 today. I guess they forgot the meaning of friendly match.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

This makes me smile because Chelsea seem to be one player revolt away from becoming a yo-yo club again. It most likely won't happen but I can see them finishing as low as 8th this year. 

In other news, Bayern whipped a provincial club 20-2 today. I guess they forgot the meaning of friendly match.

Chelsea are losing probably one of top 3-5 players in Courtois, have a new manager, and could lose their best player within a year or two. They still have Drinkwater and Bakayoko on their books, clogging up the pipeline for players such as RLC. They have a new manager who is know for all our attack, which can be torn to shreds by counter attacking teams like Liverpool. They are teetering for sure, despite a dynamite midfield trio of Jorginho-Kante-Kovacic. 

And with third season syndrome sure to kick in at Man Utd sooner rather than later, and Arsenal having a good window with a fresh manager I could very easily see Man U and Chelsea finishing outside the Top 6. 

Big predictions:

Top 6 (in order): City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea 

Relegated: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Southampton

Golden Boot: Harry Kane

PFA POTY: Kevin De Bruyne 

PFA YPOTY: Ryan Sessegnon

On 8/2/2018 at 3:12 PM, dfwabel said:

Spanish language rights with Univision will have a CL group stage match on over the air on Univision or UniMas and one on Univision Desportes (Group stage matches are now double-headers). Univision's ratings will be close to TNT, if not better.

Only UniMas and Univision Desportes will air Eurpoa League games.

Univision confirmed their CL commitment to linear telecasts.

Speaking exclusively with Sports Illustrated, Univision's Senior VP/Sports Programming & Acquisitions Eric Conrad gave details on their broadcasting plans and expressed how the overall goal is maximum exposure to their soccer-loving audience. "We view the Champions League as the premier of competition in the world of soccer, so for us we wanted to acquire those rights and then make it as many games available to our audience as we possibly could."  

The statement is backed up as beginning on August 21, 22, Univision will carry 137 Champions League matches live across its platforms, 97 of which will air on its linear networks – Univision, Univision Deportes Network (UDN), UniMás and Galavisión. As a linear comparison, TNT is believed to show 46 matches. The other advantage is that non-linear matches will be available for free on digital and if you have a cable subscription and the network is included in your package, you will be able to watch every game digitally via its app or the website. If not, fans can still have access to selected non-linear matches for free, whether you have cable subscription or not.

This is a major move by Univision as it hopes to also attract non-Spanish speakers dedicated to the tournament who despite the language barrier, they will migrate to the network as it looks for quality broadcasting.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/08/09/champions-league-univision-coverage-press-release-uefa-europa?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=si-soccer&utm_source=twitter.com

And the first goal of the 2018-2019 Premier League season goes to Paul Pogba! 3 minutes in. Still not the fastest goal in Premier League history.

So glad the Premier League is back, even if it started with a United win 😒 can’t wait to see the Reds back in action on Sunday. Bold prediction: Naby Keita is going to take this league by storm. 

As great as it was to have United score so quickly, gah, that's almost the worst thing to happen to United from an entertainment standpoint.

Mourinho's style sucks the fun out of a game like that.

West Ham was talked about as possible Top 4 or Top 6 contenders.  . . . Then get whipped 4-0 by Liverpool. Surprisingly almost every televised EPL game has been played wide open, save United vs Liecester. 

55 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

West Ham was talked about as possible Top 4 or Top 6 contenders.  . . . Then get whipped 4-0 by Liverpool. Surprisingly almost every televised EPL game has been played wide open, save United vs Liecester. 

West Ham have the talent to get to where they were in that one glorious season they had with Payet, but because they have so many new talented players coming in at once, they need time to gel. It won’t happen overnight. 

On 8/8/2018 at 2:09 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Chelsea are losing probably one of top 3-5 players in Courtois, have a new manager, and could lose their best player within a year or two. They still have Drinkwater and Bakayoko on their books, clogging up the pipeline for players such as RLC. They have a new manager who is know for all our attack, which can be torn to shreds by counter attacking teams like Liverpool. They are teetering for sure, despite a dynamite midfield trio of Jorginho-Kante-Kovacic. 

And with third season syndrome sure to kick in at Man Utd sooner rather than later, and Arsenal having a good window with a fresh manager I could very easily see Man U and Chelsea finishing outside the Top 6. 

Big predictions:

Top 6 (in order): City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea 

Relegated: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Southampton

Golden Boot: Harry Kane

PFA POTY: Kevin De Bruyne 

PFA YPOTY: Ryan Sessegnon

I'm not that optimistic about The Gunners.