Syracuse Chiefs rebrand as Syracuse Mets

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

This is as redundant as the S.I. Yankees.  It would be OK if it were out of the state, but having two Mets teams and two Yankees teams in the same state is silly.

San Francisco Giants & San Jose Giants

If you asked me which MiLB teams needed a rename, the Syracuse Chiefs would not have crossed my mind.  The uniforms are nice, but the logo is lame enough I almost thought it came from whoever created the Williamsport Cubs logo...or the original D-Cubs bear...or the I-Cubs primary.

(as an aside, Thanks D-Cubs for breaking our long lame farm logo streak)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 10/16/2018 at 3:25 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Yes. I'm all for originality in names but the latest trend of random food item and animals needs to die a horrible death. 

The "goofy" names were fun early on, but now it's basically how you describe it - pick two things, throw them together, and boom, we have a name. 

I am a little surprised that the Mets were so quick to cut loose a name with some history. Syracuse has been the Chiefs for as long as I can remember, but I'm OK with Minor League clubs taking on the name of the parent club. Especially if it means less names like "the Heaving Bread Loaves"  or whatever bull-:censored: name Brandiose comes up with to add the Brandiose Extended Universe.

There was a short time when Syracuse went with "Sky Chiefs".  Supposedly, the name change was because the team was being pressured by the local indigenous peoples to lose the "indian" logo they were using at the time. If memory serves, the name change took place right about the time when the whole "goofy" Minor League identity thing was starting to take off. There was a name the team contest and Sky Chiefs was "chosen" as the winner. But I always thought that Sky Chiefs was essentially a compromise choice designed to appease the alleged pressure from the local Indigenous Nations and long time fans of the name Chiefs who were pitching a bitch over the "PC" thing, etc. Whatever the case, it was a pretty weak identity and I don't think it lasted all that long

BB52Big.jpg

I am a little surprised that the Mets were so quick to cut loose a name with some history. Syracuse has been the Chiefs for as long as I can remember...

"Some history" is right. The Chiefs name graced Syracuse minor league baseball teams for 77 seasons - 63 at Triple A, 12 at Double A, and 2 at Single A.

On a related note, it is absolutely amazing how established some minor league baseball identities are in certain markets. Apparently, minor league baseball teams in Buffalo, New York have gone by the name Bisons in 124 seasons at various classifications. Little Rock, Arkansas has played host to 111 seasons of minor league ball played under the name Travelers. Teams bearing the names Toledo Mud Hens and Birmingham Barons have taken to the field in 107 seasons each. The Rochester Red Wings identity has been borne by teams for 95 seasons. There have been 90 seasons of minor league baseball played by teams dubbed the St. Paul Saints. There have been 87 seasons of Asheville Tourists baseball.  

On 10/18/2018 at 4:27 PM, Brian in Boston said:

"Some history" is right. The Chiefs name graced Syracuse minor league baseball teams for 77 seasons - 63 at Triple A, 12 at Double A, and 2 at Single A.

I knew Syracuse had been the Chiefs for a while, but I had no idea it went back that far. That makes the name change seem like a really bad idea. 

BB52Big.jpg

They should have based their identity around this guy and called it a day. Minor league-ish in style, but not in quality. 

6944_new_york_mets-cap-2013.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 10/19/2018 at 8:28 PM, infrared41 said:

I knew Syracuse had been the Chiefs for a while, but I had no idea it went back that far. That makes the name change seem like a really bad idea. 

The Chiefs name has a bit of the same problem as the Indians... an increasingly limited number of directions they can go with such an identity.  Albeit, probably still more than Indians.

I'm not thrilled that they got rid of it or that they became the Mets, but I can understand all the reasons why they did both.

7 hours ago, nash61 said:

They should have based their identity around this guy and called it a day. Minor league-ish in style, but not in quality. 

6944_new_york_mets-cap-2013.png

Now that you mention this, I honestly hate that they didn't.  What a squandered opportunity.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:42 AM, NicDB said:

The Chiefs name has a bit of the same problem as the Indians... an increasingly limited number of directions they can go with such an identity.  Albeit, probably still more than Indians.

They've already gone in other directions before.

acb33eac-ebbf-4703-9ee3-ac78bff05d55-larlatest?cb=20131230211219

There's also this angle . . .

chiefs-1.png?fit=693,630&resize=350,200

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Indeed.  But what does it say that they did make an effort to go those routes and none of them apparently caught on well enough to justify keeping the name?

Frankly, I think the only thing saving the KC Chiefs is the fact that no portrayal of a Native American was ever central to their identity. Yes, they had that cartoon Indian logo in the 60s, but it was always the Arrowhead that was on their helmet and their field.

22 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Indeed.  But what does it say that they did make an effort to go those routes and none of them apparently caught on well enough to justify keeping the name?

Frankly, I think the only thing saving the KC Chiefs is the fact that no portrayal of a Native American was ever central to their identity. Yes, they had that cartoon Indian logo in the 60s, but it was always the Arrowhead that was on their helmet and their field.

That's a reasonable point.  I don't think they ever tried the fire chief angle.  Maybe that could have been next (and not necessarily with a dalmatian wearing a fireman's helmet).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Maybe someone more familiar with Upstate NY can confirm this, but I get the impression the Chiefs have always been something of a second banana in Syracuse.  As is usually the case with minor league clubs in towns that have major college athletics.  Perhaps that's why, despite its longevity, there doesn't seem to be much of a push to retain the Chiefs name.

15 hours ago, NicDB said:

Maybe someone more familiar with Upstate NY can confirm this, but I get the impression the Chiefs have always been something of a second banana in Syracuse.  As is usually the case with minor league clubs in towns that have major college athletics.  Perhaps that's why, despite its longevity, there doesn't seem to be much of a push to retain the Chiefs name.

True bu SU doesnt offer baseball, so there's not a clash there.

5 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

True bu SU doesnt offer baseball, so there's not a clash there.

Indeed. But there doesn't have to be a clash for this to still be the case.

In addition to Title IX concerns, Wisconsin got rid of its baseball program because of competition from the Madison Muskies. But the Muskies still went under. As did the Hatters. As did the Northern League club that followed them.

Then you have cases like Austin where the local MiLB club plays in, and is named for, a suburb. 

Honestly, part of me wonders if the Syracuse Mets rebrand wasn't driven at least in part by the fact that the Mets colors are so similar to the Orange.

Archived