MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

1 hour ago, charliehustle said:

Sporting's teaser image showed "For Glory. For City." below the collar on the back of the jersey. It looks clean.

I am disappointed to see them use this tagline. I'm a part of the Cauldron (SKC supporter group). The phrase "For the Glory of the City" is something we've used since 2012. The FO has danced around using it for years, but last year went with "For Glory. For City." The slogan is so close to ours it's like the equivalent of a sibling dangling their finger in your face and saying, "I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you."

It may not seem like a big deal, and in a vacuum maybe it isn't, but this isn't the first time the FO has "borrowed" our ideas. It is continually frustrating.

Isn't this the argument soccer fans in the US who defend '(City Name) FC' as a naming convention for teams? They always say the team nickname should grow organically from the fans. It seems like this is kinda exactly that. 

I'm not trying to stir up anti-soccer sentiment or anything, I'm really curious - this seems to be straddling the fence and complaining about both sides.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s the official unveiling of the new SKC kit:

After sewing the full thing, I have to say that I really like this kit. I was unsure about the pattern when the leaked images on reddit popped up, but I think it looks really nice integrated into the diagonal stripes. I also like the return to the light blue shorts after going with navy and white shorts with their last two primaries. I would say this is a definite upgrade over their previous primaries and is a more fashion forward look, which was kind of their thing for a few years up until the last couple kit releases.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

24 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Well if the descriptions on their website are to be believed,the shorts are... grey

Hmm yeah, you’re right. Not sure how I feel about that. I’ll probably have to wait to see how that looks on the field.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

39 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Haven't other teams done similar stuff as a way to honor their SGs? Curious that you're insulted by this. I don't know anything about the relationship of your SG and the SKC FO, so when I say curious I genuinely mean I'm curious and would like to hear more.

Generally, I'd like to think the relationship is really good. The team is really open to letting us use space as needed to make tifo and store gameday supplies. They take care of away tickets for us. They seem very open to feedback from all supporters. The team president even came to a town hall hosted by the Cauldron last summer to address some concerns that had come up among supporters.

The team has done some more subtle things as a nod to the fans. Checkerboard and argyle patterns were used in the Cauldron first, then adopted by the team. That's cool. Obviously, we didn't create those patterns either, we just use them and so does the team and that's really fun. I feel like it's different when they use specific phrases that are more "ours", things we did come up with. Using those without consent or even a friendly heads-up is what bothers me.

Speaking for myself as part of the SG, I feel like what we make is ours and it's frustrating that the creative team at SKC doesn't always seem to view it the same way.

16 minutes ago, schlim said:

Isn't this the argument soccer fans in the US who defend '(City Name) FC' as a naming convention for teams? They always say the team nickname should grow organically from the fans. It seems like this is kinda exactly that. 

I'm not trying to stir up anti-soccer sentiment or anything, I'm really curious - this seems to be straddling the fence and complaining about both sides.

Well, first off, I haven't made the argument that nicknames should grow organically from the fans. I am not a representative of soccer fans as a whole, just myself here. I don't necessarily hold the same opinion of another soccer fan. So I'm not straddling the fence, you know?

That said, I see what you're saying. I do think this is a little different. I'm happy to hear the other side so let me know if I'm off-base here. Calling a team the bluebirds, or reds or blues, or magpies is something that happens as a result of the entire culture of the fanbase and it happens over time. It's developed naturally and it would be hard to find the exact origin or source. When we (the supporters group) design a tifo or design scarves that say "For the Glory of the City" or any other phrase, it feels dirty for that to get used by the team without consent or a conversation. I'm not a pro, I don't know the rules. I do know that when someone plucks your ideas and uses them in a way you didn't intend, it feels a little dirty. Like I said earlier, in a vacuum this probably isn't a big deal. It's just been happening for a while.

When we make something to support the team on the field, I don't feel like that gives anyone else free rein to use it as they please. The SG creative isn't like the AAA team or incubator for the team's creative.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

54 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Hmm yeah, you’re right. Not sure how I feel about that. I’ll probably have to wait to see how that looks on the field.

Shorts are a blue-gray, which adidas officially calls "Raw Gray". It is meant to match the digital sashes. I can say it looks great from what we got in the marketing photoshoot. Excited to see it on the field. 

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

10 minutes ago, Saathoff said:

Shorts are a blue-gray, which adidas officially calls "Raw Gray". It is meant to match the digital sashes. I can say it looks great from what we got in the marketing photoshoot. Excited to see it on the field. 

Thanks for the clarification. Personally I think the shorts would’ve looked better if they were either light blue or navy. I like the blue-gray color being used for the pattern on the shirt, but to me it makes the shorts look dirty in comparison to the light blue base of the shirt and socks. Almost as if someone put light blue shorts in the wash with dark colored jeans or something. I just feel like light blue shorts would’ve been a much better choice to make the kit more cohesive, or even navy shorts to complement the navy logos, stripes, and names/numbers. Still a nice kit overall, but the shorts hold it back from being a really nice kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

This is interesting; according to the Timbers and SKC team stores, long sleeve jerseys are no longer being offered:

I’m assuming the MLS clubs weren’t selling enough of them to warrant being offered by Adidas, but I do wonder if the players will still be able to get long sleeve jerseys if they make a request. Seems like the players should still be able to get them if that’s what they’re comfortable playing in.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

30 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

This is interesting; according to the Timbers and SKC team stores, long sleeve jerseys are no longer being offered:

I’m assuming the MLS clubs weren’t selling enough of them to warrant being offered by Adidas, but I do wonder if the players will still be able to get long sleeve jerseys if they make a request. Seems like the players should still be able to get them if that’s what they’re comfortable playing in.

A lot of players have been wearing compression shirts under short-sleeve jerseys, wouldn't be surprised if they all switch to that.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

A lot of players have been wearing compression shirts under short-sleeve jerseys, wouldn't be surprised if they all switch to that.

Yeah I know, but there are certain players (Villafaña from the Timbers and Ille from SKC come to mind) that almost always wear the long sleeve jerseys. It seems like they should be able to get the long sleeve jerseys if they make a request for them.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Wow, that’s disappointing if long sleeve tops are being phased out. My long sleeve Atlanta striped shirt is one of my favorites and I was really looking forward to getting another since it looks like this year’s stripes will continue onto the sleeves.

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

This is true. Long-sleeve is no longer an option. Players will be wearing long sleeve compression shirts if they want that option from what I've heard. 

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

This is interesting; according to the Timbers and SKC team stores, long sleeve jerseys are no longer being offered... I’m assuming the MLS clubs weren’t selling enough of them to warrant being offered by Adidas

That's disappointing. Long sleeve jerseys are all I've ever been interested in purchasing when it came to licensed MLS gear.

Though, on the plus side, it looks like I'm going to be saving a bundle of money going forward.  

Archived