NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

I posted this in the 2018-19 thread, but really this probably warrants the start of next year's logo/uniform changes.

This is from today's Uni Watch ...

Meanwhile, as long as we’re talking about the NBA, here’s a pair of tidbits that a source passed along to me yesterday:

• You know how the Thunder currently have their team name on the white uni and their city name on the blue uni? They’re planning to flip that next season.

• Orlando’s primary colored uniform (i.e., Icon) is currently blue. Next season it will be black.

I'm not sure what other changes are in store outside of a number of Statement jerseys, all-new City Edition jerseys for every team and then the Earned jerseys -- but, we won't know who's getting those until April.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHAT? We are a blue/black/white/silver team, not black/silver/blue/white, which is what Nike is apparently trying to turn us into (the most recent “City” uniform is only black and silver, with small blue accents - and now this news). Does this mean a full redesign? I really hope not, unless it’s basically the original uniforms with a better number font.

ExJworW.png

29 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Teal has said that the Mavs and Warriors are getting new looks.

I also believe the Pacers won't be wearing Hickory jerseys anymore? I think I remember reading that somewhere in the 2018-19 mega-thread? 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

The 2019-20 season will also be celebrating some of the following ...

10th anniversary of the Dallas Mavericks winning their first championship.

20th anniversary of the the Grizzlies final season in Vancouver.

20th anniversary of the Philadelphia 76ers making the NBA Finals with AI.

30th anniversary of the Chicago Bulls first championship. 

40th anniversary of the founding of the Dallas Mavericks.

50th anniversary of the founding of the Cavaliers, Clippers (Braves), Trail Blazers.

50th anniversary of the Milwaukee Bucks' first championship.

60th anniversary of the Minneapolis Lakers relocation to Los Angeles.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of throwback jerseys celebrating these anniversaries --

c6d3cdf367e2155bb9127c6359f0aba4--best-u5e027b253133c41b5c8c2d9d044304f9.jpg494769984-portland-trail-blazers-v-baltidecade8_140812.jpg

kimball banner.png

17 minutes ago, kimball said:

50th anniversary of the founding of the Cavaliers, Clippers (Braves), Trail Blazers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of throwback jerseys celebrating these anniversaries --

494769984-portland-trail-blazers-v-balti

When the Blazers celebrated their 40th season in 2009/10, they wore their championship reds as throwbacks:

por-bla-09-red-alternate-620x930.jpg

If they do have a throwback to mark their 50th season next year (and I’d think they would), I’d expect them to go with the championship reds again as opposed to the inaugural road red uniforms that you posted. A lot of fans have been clamoring for the ‘77 reds to be worn as throwbacks again for several years now, and the fact that they’re associated with the franchise’s lone championship makes them the most obvious choice, and almost surely the one that’d be most popular with the fan base.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

42 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

I know Tilman Fertitta said the Rockets were looking into a redesign, and that it was a two year process. So idk if that means new uniforms next season or the season after, but that may be something to look for. 

This can’t happen soon enough. Scrap the logo and jerseys. Go back to red and yellow. It’d be cool to see a sleeveless version of the grey jerseys from two years ago as one of their alts.

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

Nope, just the current black uni becoming the Icon Edition. Not sure if the blue is becoming the Statement Edition or not...

That’s better news than I expected, although still not great. I like the black uniforms as an alternate look, but not as primaries. In my opinion, the Magic should always be blue first.

ExJworW.png

4 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

That’s better news than I expected, although still not great. I like the black uniforms as an alternate look, but not as primaries. In my opinion, the Magic should always be blue first.

Changing primary to black and statement to navy would be the most Nike thing they could do.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

When the Blazers celebrated their 40th season in 2009/10, they wore their championship reds as throwbacks:

por-bla-09-red-alternate-620x930.jpg

If they do have a throwback to mark their 50th season next year (and I’d think they would), I’d expect them to go with the championship reds again as opposed to the inaugural road red uniforms that you posted. A lot of fans have been clamoring for the ‘77 reds to be worn as throwbacks again for several years now, and the fact that they’re associated with the franchise’s lone championship makes them the most obvious choice, and almost surely the one that’d be most popular with the fan base.

I agree. There's definitely more connection to the '77 jersey. I just posted it since it was the inaugural jersey. 

kimball banner.png

3 hours ago, kimball said:

4 of the teams you mentioned will have Classic unis next season... (and those 4 are not the whole set of Classics, fwiw). 🙊

20 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

4 of the teams you mentioned will have Classic unis next season... (and those 4 are not the whole set of Classics, fwiw). 🙊

I’m guessing Grizzlies, Cavaliers, Trail Blazers, and Mavericks as the four. Just for fun, actual uniform predictions:

Memphis: Original Vancouver uniforms

Cavaliers: Either 80s “CAVS” or the ones with the feather over “Cavaliers” or “Cleveland”

Trail Blazers: The championship reds, with “BLAZERS” down the side

Mavericks: Original greens

ExJworW.png

I’m thinking Lakers, Mavs, Blazers, Clippers as the 4 throwbacks. Maybe Cavs instead of Clippers.

I really don’t see the Grizzlies wearing Vancouver unis lol. 

A new Lakers HWC jersey that can bring in LeBron money is pretty much a given.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived