Roger Federer Logo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gingerbreadmann

gingerbreadmann
  • I guess I hate UVA now.

• Members
  • 4,683 posts

• Favourite Logos:Is not spelled with a "u"!

Posted July 6, 2008 - 22:59

Well I must say, as an avid tennis player and fan, that there isn't more tennis talk on these boards. It's a great sport and the match today at the Wimbledon Final was probably the best I've ever seen.

That said, roger Federer, who lost that match, is apparently on the level of Tiger Woods in the eyes of Nike, as he now has a personal logo incorporating his initials, RF. I have seen it throughout this year's Wimbledon but never before. He has a hat with the logo emblazoned on it, and I saw many of his friends and family wearing a hat with it today. I think it looks really, really nice. Here is the hat:

Posted Image

In addition, this Wimbledon (haven't seen these before either) Rog has taken to wearing a -- well, rather girly in my mind(I won't use another word beginning with g and ending in y) but classic and old-fashioned; not necessarily bad things -- cardigan and white handbag with this logo on them. I think he looks hideous but sometimes , more often now, when I look at them they seem much better than what I previously thought.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is the complete package.

What do you all think? I love it after looking at it for a while. guess it didn't help though.

#2 TFoA

TFoA
  • Hooray baseball

• Members
  • 18,749 posts

• Favourite Logos:Put it on a fitted cap, I'll probably love it.

Posted July 6, 2008 - 23:16

The cardigan's pretty nice. I'm really feeling the old-fashionedness of the cardigan. The shoes are nice as well. I don't really have an opinion on the bag since I'm not one to talk about tennis bags, but yeah, that is a stylish tennis bag if I've ever seen one.
All in all, Nike did a pretty good job with the Federer line. I think they'll sell alot based on how good it looks and not just because of name recognition.

That said, today's final was awesome. I don't watch tennis outside of the majors, but I know a historic match when I see one. Nadal's win elevated him into legend status and elevated the Nadal-Federer rivalry to a whole new level, now that its been proven that Nadal can beat Federer on a surface other than clay. :P

#3 sc49erfan15

sc49erfan15
  • Mascot Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 5,723 posts

Posted July 6, 2008 - 23:29

I know it's just the serifed font, but I can't look at it without seeing "Wake Forest."

#4 MVP

MVP

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted July 6, 2008 - 23:41

When I saw Roger warming up in that cardigan I thought it was really nice. Didn't see the logo until now though, and it looks pretty good. I'm not a bag kinda person, but that still looks quite stylish. I really like the shoes, though.

Here's more info and pictures: http://hypebeast.com...exclusive-pack/

Posted Image

#5 andrewharrington

andrewharrington
  • The Go-Getter

• Members
  • 5,474 posts

Posted July 6, 2008 - 23:50

It's excellent. You have no idea how excited I was to see someone who actually looked like a tennis player. Nice slim-fitting polo and warm up cardigan. Classic tennis fashion (tennis has the best-looking traditional sporting gear, in my opinion).
I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of the adidas Group and its brands.]

#6 DEAD!

DEAD!
  • Memories...

• Members
  • 20,889 posts

Posted July 7, 2008 - 05:24

The cardigan's pretty nice. I'm really feeling the old-fashionedness of the cardigan. The shoes are nice as well. I don't really have an opinion on the bag since I'm not one to talk about tennis bags, but yeah, that is a stylish tennis bag if I've ever seen one.
All in all, Nike did a pretty good job with the Federer line. I think they'll sell alot based on how good it looks and not just because of name recognition.

That said, today's final was awesome. I don't watch tennis outside of the majors, but I know a historic match when I see one. Nadal's win elevated him into legend status and elevated the Nadal-Federer rivalry to a whole new level, now that its been proven that Nadal can beat Federer on a surface other than clay. :P

I wouldn't say that just yet. If he can win the Australian and the US Opens, then yes, he would be a true legend. I've seen that logo for about a year, maybe more. I like the logo and the clothing line is very classy.
I saw, I came, I left.

#7 Alphabet Man

Alphabet Man
  • You what?

• Members
  • 7,849 posts

• Favourite Logos:Kalcutta Knightriders

Posted July 7, 2008 - 07:09

the clothing line is very classy.

as is Roger as a person. Classy in the way he goes about everything.

If only he won last night.
twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

#8 The Nation

The Nation

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted July 7, 2008 - 10:32

The females have a pretty nice Nike clothing line too. The trench coat that Sharapova and S.Williams wore was very classy.

#9 The Nation

The Nation

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted July 7, 2008 - 10:39

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Good Job Nike.

#10 Buc

Buc
  • Still rollin', rollin', rollin'....

• Members
  • 7,433 posts

• Favourite Logos:Bucco Bruce // Iowa State Cyclones // the original Vancouver Grizzlies // Philadelphia Union // Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

Posted July 7, 2008 - 11:55

Posted Image
Good Job Nike.

Is it just me...or does anyone else think that she looks like she could easily be the daughter of Dr. Beverly Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation here???

OH...and that RF cardigan--and them shoes--is copped. Lovin' the style.

3x POTD winner:20101229 | 20120728 | 20130924* || dribbble || Behance

#11 cappital92

cappital92
  • My beard makes a W & no one loves me.

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

• Favourite Logos:90's Devil Rays
      Late 50's Senators
      70-91 Trail Blazers
      Current Wizards alt
      95-01 Sonics
      Vancouver Grizzlies
      95-03 Rockets
      Ft. Wayne Pistons

Posted July 7, 2008 - 14:30

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Good Job Nike.

With Maria Sharapova, it's not hard to do a good job designing clothes.

#12 TwinsTerritory

TwinsTerritory

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted July 7, 2008 - 17:23

Not bad. I've never seen them do anything with Tennis, so this is pretty cool.

#13 ferrousoxide66

ferrousoxide66

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted July 7, 2008 - 19:07

You know, a simple pair of adidas Sam Smiths kick those gaudy Federer Nikes up and down the court. Nasty looking garbage, looks designed by the lowliest intern at Baby Phat.

#14 MVP

MVP

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted July 7, 2008 - 21:22

You know, a simple pair of adidas Sam Smiths kick those gaudy Federer Nikes up and down the court. Nasty looking garbage, looks designed by the lowliest intern at Baby Phat.

That would be Stan. Stan Smith.

Posted Image

#15 NickSixers

NickSixers

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted July 7, 2008 - 22:21

Nike had a pop-up store on the road to Wimbledon from the one underground station. They had one of the cardigan's on display (they only made 230 apparently) and one of Maria's outfits. I thought Federer's stuff was pretty nice, although the logo is lame.
Sharapova's opponent said that her outfit made her want to beat Maria even more. oops. haha

#16 karby65

karby65

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted July 7, 2008 - 22:54

he looks like a woman! what ever happenened to men like mcenrow, connors, or aggasi? look like you got some!

#17 omnivore

omnivore
  • 2012 NCFA-FCS National Champions

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted July 8, 2008 - 05:57

I don't like the logo, but I did really like the cardigan and the whole styling they did outfitting him. Nice classic look for sure and not something a lot of players would want to do, much less be able to pull off with their "look".
Posted Image
NCFA-FCS: Minnesota A&M Redhorse
2012 National Champions, 2012 Big 4 Conference Champions
SLOP: (OOTP) St. Louis Aviators
FOFC-FBCB: St. John's Red Storm

#18 leopard88

leopard88
  • Master of the Irrelevant

• Members
  • 5,461 posts

Posted July 8, 2008 - 08:05

You know, a simple pair of adidas Stan Smiths kick those gaudy Federer Nikes up and down the court. Nasty looking garbage, looks designed by the lowliest intern at Baby Phat.

Agreed as to the shoes and bag (except I was thinking Louis Vuitton -- minus the LV logo). However, I do like the cardigan (even if it doesn't look like something you'd actually wear to play tennis).
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Crabcakes and football! That's what Maryland does!"
"You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman
Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

#19 Waffles

Waffles
  • Yeah, Jeets!

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted August 30, 2009 - 16:17

Today's New York Times has an pretty comprehensive article about the RF logo that covers just about everything from the evolutionary process it underwent, fan and sport reaction to it, to its various applications and uses, and even a critique from Pentagram's Michael Bierut.

http://www.nytimes.c...html?ref=sports

Posted Image