Astros rebrand

Blitz

Hey all,

I was reading a complaint the other day about the D'Backs & 'Stros looking too much alike, and how Houston should go back to the old colours. Got me thinking "That's a great idea!!!" thought I would give it a shot. Kind of a Smashup....

astrosnooutline_vectorized_free.png

I would love to make a complete concept out of this, but I want to make sure what I am doing is a workable idea -- let me know what you think.

canada.png

It's definitely a smash-up, and not in a good way.

There's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much going on here.

I agree. I love the idea of the return to the original colors, but the whole logo needs to be simplified.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

^^ Is it really necessary to post if you are going to just repeat what other people said? We call that "spam".

As for the concept: simplify! The A in the background and the wordmark look ok together. That was a good start. But the star H looks incredibly out of place. So does the swooshing baseball. What if you made the baseball look like it was orbiting the star? That might look cool and it would get that space theme going.

Once again I've noticed that something that's no good gets twice the comments of a quality concept in half the time.

You guys all really suck. :mad:

Jeez. Let's try to be respectful on the boards. Blitz, I'm sorry that this comment has to exist. As for the update, I actually like it, well done.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

Better. Try switching back to the other star and getting rid of the wordmark.

I half agree with this, I'd say go back to the current star, but keep the wordmark. I think that would look really cool. Update is a huge improvement, nice work.

Anubis.png

Once again I've noticed that something that's no good gets twice the comments of a quality concept in half the time.

You guys all really suck. :mad:

First of all, that was a kind of dickish thing to say.

Secondly, why do you give a damn how many comments you get compared to what someone else gets? I don't really post concepts anymore, but when I did, I knew there were only about a couple dozen people whose opinion amounted to a hill of :censored: anyway. I was more concerned about the QUALITY of the critiques, not the quantity. Most of the stuff people say is irrelevant, worthless, and a complete waste of the 6-15 seconds it takes to read it.

Patsox is going to get 3-4 pages of comments because he's got a rep, and people love to bash him. If comments are what you want, it's better to be interesting or memorable than good. As I said in another thread, critics and haters are always louder. If some newb (or you or me) posted the same exact thing, it wouldn't get near the comments, but why would it matter?

I thank Baby Jeebus that I'm part of the Brilliams! community, because I know at any time I'm going to get a handful of tremendous comments that are offered only to make my work better. Why would I need 50 "Dude, that's sick" comments, or 25 "I like this series, keep it up", or 5000 "Oooh, do my team next" posts from the peanut gallery when I can get "I think you should change the position to a more aggressive stance" with a couple of examples linked, something really helpful.

If there are members whose design eye you respect, then just ask them what they think. You don't need a whole bunch of fanboys running around telling you your :censored: doesn't stink. Or do you?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Better. Try switching back to the other star and getting rid of the wordmark.

That was definately my thought for a cap logo... Do you not think the primary should have some reference to the team name on it?

canada.png

I would agree that the first 2 attempts have been too busy. My thought would be to stick with a single unique element for a logo and go with that instead of trying to combine 2 or 3 prior things....

I've seen examples of the combo error before where a high school put the Bucs flag on the Raiders shield to create a "unique" logo. Unfortunately for them, it stunk, and was extremely poorly executed. In fact, it should have been executed, as poor as it was.

Anyway, if you are looking for something old and new, why not turn the most recent modern star so that the open side is at the bottom, and use that as an "A" in Astros in a script deal, or with a dashed line in the middle with just the star for a big "A" logo? That would kind of turn the thing on it's ear, no? :upside:

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Archived