Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Bringing in Oklahoma would be ideal, however like yh said, there's too many holes and it'd be too much of a stretch. The biggest factor is Oklahoma State and the SEC frankly doesn't want them. When they were in talks last year with A&M and Oklahoma, OK State wasn't even part of the negotiations. There's also the factor that I don't think Oklahoma wants to come to the SEC.

Bringing in Oklahoma would be ideal, however like yh said, there's too many holes and it'd be too much of a stretch. The biggest factor is Oklahoma State and the SEC frankly doesn't want them. When they were in talks last year with A&M and Oklahoma, OK State wasn't even part of the negotiations. There's also the factor that I don't think Oklahoma wants to come to the SEC.

It really seems like OU wants to go west to the PAC. Maybe they feel like it's a step up now that the Big XII is practically in ruins, but also a conference they could very well dominate. And it appears the PAC wants them too, they're just reluctant to take on so many new members in such a short period. I'd think they'd be more receptive to just taking OU and OkST and making smaller steps towards a 16-team conference. You'll notice, that them and the SEC are really the only two conferences who don't seem to be sweating it out. They almost appear like they're calm and collected, while the Big XII and Big East struggle for survival, and the ACC and Big Ten are keenly watching what they do so they can figure out what to do next. The ACC basically decided to go ahead and make a move when it looked like they could lose a few schools. The Big Ten is in no danger of losing anybody, but they just seem like they're always unsure of what they should do next. They had more talks with Notre Dame, but while keeping the PAC in the corner of their eye. Once the PAC decided not to expand, the Big Ten basically did the same thing.

If Mizzou goes SEC as #14, there's always going to be the question of "stay or go" to 16. The SEC has made it clear they don't want to expand into markets that already have teams. What about the joint inclusion of VaTech and UVA as #15 and #16? Keeping important rivalries in tact while also going after a power house that the SEC would love (VaTech).

Just a rumor but there are reports of Yankee Stadium hosting a possible Big East championship game if (A BIG IF) the conference expands to 12 schools.

Ugh! How about a real football stadium?

Hopefully Big East football will implode and we won't have to worry about it

I heard Alabama will support their entry if they go into the East. Of course it could only be for a year or two if they end up going to 16, Plus I read the Arkansas AD said they will not expand into a state that currently has a conferene team, which would rule out FSU, Georgia Tech and Clemson, and Louisville who may have had an outside chance at the 16th spot. Still leaves WV as an option though, but who else? Va Tech? Thought they were basically joined at the hip with Virginia. The SEC could also basically be saying we're staying at 14 without actually saying it, while just leaving the door cracked open slightly enough to possibly add 2 more. Though it's probably just another "we're not the aggressors" move.

I still think the SEC has Oklahoma in the back of their minds. Just saying.

Sure they do, however there's a lot of hoops to jump to make that happen. First, they'd have to bring OSU in too. OU and OSU are absolutely a package deal. Second, they'd almost surely have to contend with some level of legal wrangling with the Big XII. Remember, Chuck Neinas said that the Big XII would be fine without Missouri, but didn't say they'd be fine without any of the other schools. While Texas may be the "anchor" of the conference (feel free to infer multiple interpretations of that term), it's pretty clear that OU is part of the conference's bedrock. Third, the conference would still need to find one more school to round up the SEC roster to an even number. In all likelihood this would still be Missouri as they'd probably compete within a pod with the other Big XII refugees. Fourth, the SEC would have to be content with committing to what would likely be a "permanent" (relative term) 16 team configuration with no more options to capture more schools if and when the next tectonic conference shift comes. I'm not sure the SEC wants to be the first to 16 in this round of expansionpalooza.

5th, Oklahoma has been trying to up its academic research reputation over the last few years and feels the Pac-whatever will give them better access to research dollars than the SEC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just a rumor but there are reports of Yankee Stadium hosting a possible Big East championship game if (A BIG IF) the conference expands to 12 schools.

Anything to avoid those pesky ACC Championship Game 2.0 shots I guess.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This Mark Titus piece from Grantland is about a month old, but since no one here's brought it up yet, Titus has an elegant, if not exactly original, solution to college football realignment: Institutionalize it, through a system of... you guessed it... promotion and relegation.

This system would be awesome. For one thing, it would put an end to the perpetual outcry to give the little schools like Boise State a shot at the national championship[...] Secondly, relegation could be used as a way of punishing schools that cheat, much like how Juventus was relegated to the Italian league’s Serie B in 2006 for fixing matches[...] Perhaps the best thing about a relegation system, though, is that it would make the throwaway bowls (like the GoDaddy.com Bowl) suddenly relevant. Instead of virtually nobody watching a 9-4 MAC team play a 6-6 Sun Belt team, a legitimate audience would actually tune in to see if Florida International could take Ole Miss’ spot in the SEC or if Toledo could knock Indiana out of the Big Ten. (Spoiler alert: they absolutely could.)

CCSLC signature.png

Kinda on topic, but read this story about a 16-team playoff for college football that Mountain West commish Crag Thompson has thought up. Not a bad plan if you ask me, and it estimates to TRIPLE current BCS revenues.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/10/20/the-mountain-wests-16-team-playoff-plan-to-replace-the-bcs-might-have-some-legs/

I think the BCS would rather have 4 super conferences than 6 normal conferences. They have 4 major bowls + the National Title. Each conference can "host" a major bowl game, rotating the second place in the conference between the 3 other major bowls.

The way I see it, 4 super conferences forces more cross over playing between conferences. For example, Ohio State played Miami and Colorado this year. It would be easier to compare and contrast schools and who beat who during the course of the season if schools are condensed to only 4 conferences.

It would help the computer ranking system immensely if pretty much every school was forced to play 2 out of conference games against super conference opponents. They can guarantee each costume at least 2 major bowl bids, with a shot at the National Title.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Just to keep everyone up to date on the news on Missouri/SEC, I got a text today saying, as expected, that Missouri will be joining the SEC East. I did not get a time-frame of when the announcement will be taking place. Just wanted to pass this along.

Just to keep everyone up to date on the news on Missouri/SEC, I got a text today saying, as expected, that Missouri will be joining the SEC East. I did not get a time-frame of when the announcement will be taking place. Just wanted to pass this along.

Alabama doesn't want to risk losing it's rivalry game with Tennessee if Auburn had moved to the East.

Anyone want to take a real good guess on which 2 schools realistically will join the SEC to make it a 16 team conference

Alabama doesn't want to risk losing it's rivalry game with Tennessee if Auburn had moved to the East.

Anyone want to take a real good guess on which 2 schools realistically will join the SEC to make it a 16 team conference

I said this a couple weeks ago: I believe the SEC will make one more pitch to Oklahoma about joining the conference, especially since the Pac-12 looks content on staying at 12 for the immediate future.

I don't think the SEC would frown upon taking the duo of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. They could do a lot worse.

I said this a couple weeks ago: I believe the SEC will make one more pitch to Oklahoma about joining the conference, especially since the Pac-12 looks content on staying at 12 for the immediate future.

I don't think the SEC would frown upon taking the duo of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. They could do a lot worse.

Then you could put both Alabama & Auburn in the East

EAST

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

WEST

Arkansas,LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M