NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

The Scouts concept is epic, and I think that despite using an Indian head, the entire branding is so far from the Chicago Blackhawks that it isn't an issue in the slightest. It's like saying the Colts and Broncos can't co-exist.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Scouts concept is epic, and I think that despite using an Indian head, the entire branding is so far from the Chicago Blackhawks that it isn't an issue in the slightest. It's like saying the Colts and Broncos can't co-exist.

Well, with all due respect, both their logos aren't horses.

One is a horse shoe, the other is the head of a Bronco...

Both the Blackhawks, and this Scout's concept use Indian heads as primaries. I LOVE his third. it's friggin incredible. And I ask this: If the Sabres can have a (soon-to-come) updated "fauxback" logo, then why can't the Scouts??? That alt is seriously a 10 out of 10. The primary? Eh, I give it a 7 out of 10. It's rad, but not mind-blowing.

The Tigers, on the other hand, friggin gorgeous.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Both the Blackhawks, and this Scout's concept use Indian heads as primaries. I LOVE his third. it's friggin incredible. And I ask this: If the Sabres can have a (soon-to-come) updated "fauxback" logo, then why can't the Scouts??? That alt is seriously a 10 out of 10. The primary? Eh, I give it a 7 out of 10. It's rad, but not mind-blowing.

Then what about Arizona Cardinals and Baltimore Ravens? Both logos are a bird's head... one is much older (it got a slight update, I realize) and more established while the other is newer and modern; but they use very different styles. The only connection is that they're both images of bird heads, and the NFL seems to be able to handle two of them.

This was seriously my biggest worry... that people wouldn't want to have two Indian-themed teams in the league. I never really considered going a different direction with the name "Scouts" because it's not an arbitrary nickname. With Kansas City, "Scouts" has an established meaning and relationship to that Scout statue.

So I'm glad it didn't seem to be a problem to most people, and I'm glad the overall concept seemed to go over well. I'll continue looking at potential tweaks, but I think I'm content with it now.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Concept looks great, especially the logo. When I first saw it, I thought, "Wow I really like the sun behind his head," and not "Hey that looks like the Blackhawks logo!" I really don't see any way that this logo could be considered bad because it features a Native American head.

phitinsig.png

Logo.png

Solid concept. My only advice would be to eliminate one of the arrowhead/sun rays and then compensate the rotation. It would help eliminate some of the awkward negative spacing issues you have where the sun meets the hair. Outside of that, I only see some minor inconsistencies in the outline thickness. Great job, as usual.

Dgnmrwrw, you've helped me develop alot as a designer, and every single time you post a concept, you show us exactly how an effective logo is to be done.

Now, I'm no real hockey fan, don't have much knowledge on the subject, so I'm going to go out on a limb here: something about this doesn't seem as creative. I feel like you stuck too much with a look you believe that the Scouts would adopt, and in turn in really hurt the whole logo package.

The primary looks great, obviously your best of the other two logos, but I felt that because it was so nicely done, it got my hopes up too much, ya know? You set us up with a beautiful piece, but then complemented it with mere 'runner-ups' that were the secondary and alternate crests. I'm not really as stunned as I had hoped to be. That's just my opinion.

As far as the rendering goes, nice job, but I do see some defects. In the primary, the first thing that stuck out at me was the way the face was worked. You've got some real small proportion issues, starting with the forehead. I think you've focused so much on the bridge of the nose and tried to make that accurate that you forgot about the forehead. You've rounded out the front so much that the bridge of the nose runs into the forehead. Either a)shorten up thebridge of the nose or b)give the indian a 'fold' where the eyebrow goes. If he's looking about over the horizon, he's got to be squinting, especially with the sun there. This will form your eyebrow fold and make it look more appropriate.

The eye is another big issue, it's positioned up too high. It's almost misleading in a way: If you stare at the top half, the viewer looks to be looking up at a profile view of the figure; meanwhile, the bottom half looks flat profile view. Bring the eye down (and maybe shrink it horizontally) a bit so that the top groove of the shape is aligned with the groove of the divit where the bridge of the nose meets the forehead (I've actually been working on a human logo lately, so these nitpicks immediately caught my eye, haha).

One last thing, the highlight on the right side of the face is almost un noticable until it reaches the lower neck. It's been thinned out a littl too much, so widening it up just a tad shouldn't hurt. I'm also a little hesistant on suggesting that you brighten the gold. It looks really nice in the sun, but as a highlight it doesn't seem appropriate when paired with the red. If you could present a version of it lightened, I think it'd help.

Other than that, wonderful job on the primary. GFB's suggestion would also work wonders, but I love the sun in there, beautifully rendered (I would've loved to see it as a secondary logo). The hair on the indian as well: excellent. Great job.

First off let me just say that the logo is spot on. I dont think its a problem that its the same subject matter as the Blackhawks logo because stylistically, it doesnt look remotely similar. The Colour scheme you picked is also great. What needs work however are the jerseys. The Home and Roads look too much like the futuristic rags Reebok forced onto the league during the initial changeover to the Edge System. I dont like how the piping forms a yolk on the front and then boxes the numbers in on the back. I think something more traditional would better suit your logo. Also the Alternate needs hem stripes.

Then what about Arizona Cardinals and Baltimore Ravens? Both logos are a bird's head... one is much older (it got a slight update, I realize) and more established while the other is newer and modern; but they use very different styles. The only connection is that they're both images of bird heads, and the NFL seems to be able to handle two of them.

This was seriously my biggest worry... that people wouldn't want to have two Indian-themed teams in the league. I never really considered going a different direction with the name "Scouts" because it's not an arbitrary nickname. With Kansas City, "Scouts" has an established meaning and relationship to that Scout statue.

So I'm glad it didn't seem to be a problem to most people, and I'm glad the overall concept seemed to go over well. I'll continue looking at potential tweaks, but I think I'm content with it now.

I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate your re-design. I'm just a huge fauxback junkie (hence why I'm in LOVE with your Scouts' alt.) And I suppose there's no problem with two Indian head logos in your league, I would just prefer less Indian heads in sports in general. Outside of the Blackhawks, I'm not a huge fan of Indians being used as logos (I HATE the Redskins and the Cleveland Indians logos - and I find the "Redskins" to be overtly racist and offensive.)

I'm just curious what you would have done had you not gone the route of the Indian head for your Scouts logo.. I know your options are limited, but that's what makes being a designer such a difficult (and well respected) job - having to come up with creative angles to effectively represent a team.

So if you don't mind the inquiry - what other ideas did you have for a primary besides the "Scout's" head?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Awesome work......

I've had an idea of what an expansion hamilton tigers team would look like for years, and I can't believe how close everything is to what I've imagined. The colour scheme is nearly perfect. Love the gray, and its exactly what I was thinking aswell (although I think I'd just go with charcoal across the board...still plenty unique.) I'm normally less enthused by moderny/angry animal head logos, but yours is really fantastic. Aside from a darker shade of gray, EVERYTHING can stay the way it is, and if a team moves to hamilton and adopts your look, I'd be at the store the next day buying a jersey. I'd probably prefer waist stripes too, but if you were actually trying to get the gig of designing the new tiger uniforms, some concessions would need to be made to whats hip/current, and what you've done looks great.

The KC look is less-amazing, but still great nonetheless... I think the logo is incredible. It does resemble the hawks a bit, but what can you do... I like the colours too, but I'm pretty strongly against the jersey template, especially the rainbow-shaped stripes at the sides. I'd lose those... Love the number font....love the thirds. Amazing amazing work.

I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate your re-design. I'm just a huge fauxback junkie (hence why I'm in LOVE with your Scouts' alt.) And I suppose there's no problem with two Indian head logos in your league, I would just prefer less Indian heads in sports in general. Outside of the Blackhawks, I'm not a huge fan of Indians being used as logos (I HATE the Redskins and the Cleveland Indians logos - and I find the "Redskins" to be overtly racist and offensive.)

I'm just curious what you would have done had you not gone the route of the Indian head for your Scouts logo.. I know your options are limited, but that's what makes being a designer such a difficult (and well respected) job - having to come up with creative angles to effectively represent a team.

So if you don't mind the inquiry - what other ideas did you have for a primary besides the "Scout's" head?

I'm sorry, but your response actually makes you a hypocrite because you're liking one design over another after presenting your logic. The alt logo is what was before, which is a Native American symbol. So you're clearly liking one over the other because the alt was blander?

I'm sorry, but your response actually makes you a hypocrite because you're liking one design over another after presenting your logic. The alt logo is what was before, which is a Native American symbol. So you're clearly liking one over the other because the alt was blander?

Excuse me?

Re-phrase that and try again please.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Excuse me?

Re-phrase that and try again please.

No thanks.

Scouts have been updated... I eliminated one of the sun's rays and rotated it accordingly. I also tweaked the eye and forehead areas, and slightly adjusted the highlights on the face. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, especially to GFB and C Jay Z for detailed comments--those always help.

As far as trying a different "theme" for this concept, I never seriously considered it. Like I said before, when paired with Kansas City, "Scouts" has a very definite, concretely-established meaning. I didn't want to mess with it.

The next concept is pretty close to completion. I'm just trying to tweak one of the logos, and decide how modern I want to go with the uniforms. It should be posted in a few days.

#3: Quebec Bulldogs

Quebec, QC // Relocated 1920

Logo.png

This one provides a change of pace: I wanted a much more regal, traditional look. The primary logo is actually an updated version of a logo I did for a different project a while ago, but it fits my needs perfectly for this concept, so I tweaked it and used it. The colors are navy blue, copper, and silver. (I wanted to change from the lighter blue the old Bulldogs used, because I'm reserving a similar color for a different Quebec team to come later....) Some thoughts on the type: I wanted a clean, simple sans serif for the wordmark and names/numbers in this concept. My intention was to approximate the old type-based logos that they used to employ. (See here and here.) So everything is this concept is done in the Futura family. More on that later.

In keeping with the theme, the uniforms are very clean and traditional. Simple diagonal stripes on the sleeves, straight stripes on the waist and socks, and touches of silver on the collar, sleeve edges, and pants. On the shoulders, there's a patch consisting of the bulldog collar with a bone in the center, forming an abstract Q.

The alternate is copper, and based (very loosely) on the old uniforms with the "Quebec" wordmark. I wanted to create a wordmark crest for this too, and I had been working on a more flowing custom script. But I abandoned it in favor of the more traditional Futura (slightly tweaked to make it more active) to keep with the theme. (What would be the point of doing everything else in Futura, then making the one item that was the inspiration behind its use look completely different?) I know it's a very simple look, but hopefully it's okay for an alternate. The bulldog logo is on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Amazing work as always. I still think you should be paid like the guy who had his Raiders concept adopted by the West Sydney Pirates of the Aussie Gridiron League.

I agree with Stormo though. The third is just ok.. it's kind of bland and I don't like the Quebec wordmark. IMO, third jerseys need to be a radical change of pace from a team's more refined primaries. This is simply too muted. But that can be a good thing. Some of the more "proud" franchises in the NHL can pull off the "classy" throwback alt, and I think if you simply added a Fleur-di-Leus (sp) as the primary ont he third, it'd look really good (although I know why you chose the "Quebec" wordmark - an homage to their original sweaters, right?)

Also, I understand the Nordiques employed the fleur-di-leus, but it's Quebec! I think two teams can pull it off... if you don't mind humoring me (or us - if others agree), post the third without the wordmark and WITH the fleur-di-leus!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Archived