Lucas Oil Stadium still using the old AFC logo?

Quillz

I haven't had a chance to watch many football games this season, but I caught some of the Texans-Colts game tonight and noticed that Lucas Oil Stadium still appears to be using the old AFC logo in the end zone. I'm surprised the NFL has let this slide, since they make such a big deal about their branding.

Or maybe cause they were were released months before the season started they allowed their teams a little bit of a grace period to replace something as expensive/difficult to replace like field turf or huge banners...

With that many teams showing the older logos. It looks like a grace period may have been implemented. Or (which might be the case) the teams are benig fined for using the older logos. Of course teams like Indy (that have non replaceable field turf) might not be fined, as it is expensive to replace a whole portion of their turf. Though some how the Jets in the New Meadowlands solved that problem(with removeable endzones).

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Well the turf is permanent so they'd have to replace that small piece which can be done as we've seen with some colleges as they replace the conference logo they have on their field from time to time. Lucas Oil is set to host the Super Bowl next season so something will have to give. There is no way they'll just play on the same turf that is in there now and I can't imagine they'd just put down new field turf for that one game. I know that there is not the drainage in place because of budget cuts so I wouldn't think they'd put grass down atop the turf like we've seen elsewhere although it is a possibility I guess since they did put grass down at the Pontiac Silverdome for the 94 World Cup and being a dome I assume it had no drainage. Anyway if they do a different turf maybe they'll replace the one AFC logo in the endzone then.

Not just in Indy and Denver the Bears still have the old NFC logo on the end zone.

Bears actually have the new NFC Logo in their endzones

And aren't those new NFC logos a bit smaller? I seemed to remember the old NFC logos being outrageously huge compared to the NFL logos in the end zones at Soldier Field the past couple years.

Well the turf is permanent so they'd have to replace that small piece which can be done as we've seen with some colleges as they replace the conference logo they have on their field from time to time. Lucas Oil is set to host the Super Bowl next season so something will have to give. There is no way they'll just play on the same turf that is in there now and I can't imagine they'd just put down new field turf for that one game. I know that there is not the drainage in place because of budget cuts so I wouldn't think they'd put grass down atop the turf like we've seen elsewhere although it is a possibility I guess since they did put grass down at the Pontiac Silverdome for the 94 World Cup and being a dome I assume it had no drainage. Anyway if they do a different turf maybe they'll replace the one AFC logo in the endzone then.

You know what's interesting about replacing turf...the new turf will be almost a half inch higher than the surrounding turf! My college replaced the center logo on thier Field turf and when it was done that whole section was raised up because of the wear and settling of the rest of the field.

Just thought that was interesting. I bet places prefer to replace all the turf at once.

Not just in Indy and Denver the Bears still have the old NFC logo on the end zone.

And aren't those new NFC logos a bit smaller? I seemed to remember the old NFC logos being outrageously huge compared to the NFL logos in the end zones at Soldier Field the past couple years.

Yes I did noticed that!

Oh yeah that right I remember the wk 1 game vs the Lions. The new NFC logo look like the old NFC logo they just added a extra star and the AFC logo looked weird and naked.

BTW

Does the Bills still have the AFC logo on the 30 yds line?

I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. During the Monday Night NYG-DAL game, I thought the midfield Star looked raised above the green turf.

I thought Dallas paints their logos on the turf...

If I remember reading correctly the new Dallas stadium has 3 different turf fields. One for the Cowboys with everything permanent. One can be used for soccer only, and the other is another football field that can be used for bowl games along with other college games like the TCU-Oregon State game this year as well as high school football where they can paint the field art at midfield and the endzones. The other football field has a weird look to it as it looks like it was painted for Canadian football or somebody messed up painting the field at one time because it looks like a solid line was scrubbed away halfway between every 5 yard section. Look at the OSU RB's feet at the 12.5 yard line to see what I mean.

2010_cowboys_classic_030.jpg

I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. During the Monday Night NYG-DAL game, I thought the midfield Star looked raised above the green turf.

I thought Dallas paints their logos on the turf...

If I remember reading correctly the new Dallas stadium has 3 different turf fields. One for the Cowboys with everything permanent. One can be used for soccer only, and the other is another football field that can be used for bowl games along with other college games like the TCU-Oregon State game this year as well as high school football where they can paint the field art at midfield and the endzones. The other football field has a weird look to it as it looks like it was painted for Canadian football or somebody messed up painting the field at one time because it looks like a solid line was scrubbed away halfway between every 5 yard section. Look at the OSU RB's feet at the 12.5 yard line to see what I mean.

2010_cowboys_classic_030.jpg

This is the way Qwest field looks like when the Seattle Sounders play. Because the Sounders requested that football lines do not show on the turf at Qwest they use a paint that washes off the Seahawks lines so they can put the soccer lines. But you can see on TV something looks odd about the field. I do not think the people in the above picture made a mistake with the lines as much as I think they washed off the lines from another game and then redrew new ones from a different starting point. You can see the phantom lines every 10 yards or so...

Archived