2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

Ugh... That Emeralds rebrand is, well, brutal. Not Fightin' Phils level of brutal, but still pretty harsh. The only element I like is the Swingin' Sasquatch - it is a clever tie-in to the parent club. But what about if, or more likely, when the Ems sign an agreement with a new parent club? Also, those greens look very similar to the Timbers colors. Paging Donovan!

This:

EugeneEmeralds_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Vs.:

PortlandTimbers_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Thank you for this! Now that I see them together, they aren't as close as I thought. One other question, tho... Is that neon green being used by any other teams/schools in your database? It just seems so familiar to me for some reason.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the rebrands we've seen so far this offseason, I really like the Hops the best. Everything else has been a bitter pill to swallow.

I see what you did there. Heh.

Wow... And it was unintentional, too!

On a further note about the new Emeralds identity, I guess we should be thankful they didn't go retro on us. I present to you the 1972 Eugene Emeralds...

8228288489_ae0f426851_z.jpg

FWIW, they were a Phillies farm team back then, and that '72 squad featured Mike Schmidt and Bob Boone...

8228288461_48ce8d1bc2.jpg

Thanks to Gasonline Alley Antiques for the images, rehosted on my Flickr stream.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I've been in Eugene for ten years and the first mention on bigfoot I've heard was the name of the beverage distributor that started up a couple months ago. I knew more about sasquatch in northern california than in eugene. The only thing I like about this is a return to a black and green color scheme. I started a project a couple years back with a set inspired by 1940s produce crates. As the Emerald valley, why not play up the farming community? That would sell here. This is a flailing attempt to be hip and fun. I havent even started on how poorly the bigfoot is rendered. Shouldn't his arms be longer? Theres something to simplicity, but looking closely, the lines don't match up. Its all over the place. This season appears to be about money. How many jobs can we take on? Let's just crank them out and cash some checks.

I spoke with the Ems owners son a couple years back about rebranding and was told that MiLB has a short list of league approved designers. Can anyone confirm this? If its true, its a shame since local designers understand their region and its history way more than this mess.

I would say that Sasquatch definitely has ties to Oregon, however not Eugene. I've been a Eugenian my whole life and like you said this is the first tie to Sasquatch specifically for Eugene that I can think of. They definitely could have played off of the Lumber industry, the rich wildlife, the trees around here, and many other things.

Hopefully this rebrand will only be around for a couple years.

EugeneEmeralds_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Thank you for this! Now that I see them together, they aren't as close as I thought. One other question, tho... Is that neon green being used by any other teams/schools in your database? It just seems so familiar to me for some reason.

Here's the only other example I have - pro or college:

OrlandoThunder_FRC_1992_SCC_SRGB.png

I spoke with the Ems owners son a couple years back about rebranding and was told that MiLB has a short list of league approved designers. Can anyone confirm this? If its true, its a shame since local designers understand their region and its history way more than this mess.

Tom O'Grady recently tweeted the same thing to the Logocast's account, so I think there's some truth there.

Isn't it odd that the colors are so far off in the logo sheet the Ems released?

Its just CMYK vs RGB. If you open the PDF in Illustrator, its in CMYK by default and looks dull as hell, but if you switch it over to RGB it looks bright and vibrant, and thats not changing any colors, just switching color modes.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

CMYK and RGB just simulations of spot colors. Both are just approximations of the actual colors. By and large, one can reproduce spot colors somewhat easier and more accurately using RGB values (using the sRGB color space), but the only true way is by using the accurate formula mixes specified by Pantone.

The more recent versions of Illustrator and Photoshop use a newer form of color swatch libraries called Books. Book colors contain both CIE-L*ab and CMYK information to determine simulations.

However - as far as RGB simulations go - the most accurate way to represent colors in RGB is to use the more precise measurements provided by Pantone. The Adobe ACE (Adobe Color Engine) module doesn't quite get the colors all of the way there. My colors represent the colors exactly the way Pantone specifies...and these values change from edition to edition.

I know the difference between RGB and CMYK.

Why are the graphics released to the media (you know, the ones intended for websites) calibrated properly? Why are the graphics on the team's own website not calibrated properly? The colors on the site don't look anything like the actual Pantone values.

Tom O'Grady recently tweeted the same thing to the Logocast's account, so I think there's some truth there.

There is only a short list of approved designers if a team chooses to participate in MiLB's royalty finance program (RFP). Through the RFP, teams select a designer from an approved list and negotiate the terms and scope of the work. If MiLB allows a team to participate in the RFP, MiLB will pay the designer and the participating team will forego its merchandise sales royalties until the design fees are paid off.

Why are the graphics released to the media (you know, the ones intended for websites) calibrated properly? Why are the graphics on the team's own website not calibrated properly? The colors on the site don't look anything like the actual Pantone values.

They either dont know about having the right graphics for web, or if they do, just lazyness. I agree with you though. It's sad that they dont pay attention to those little details, because when you have such a drastic difference in appearance between the the colors modes, especially the neon green, it looks really bad.

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Nobody involved with the team cares enough to get it right? That's pathetic.

I really hope this is just a bad photo, because the colors on this don't match the "official" team colors much either:

home_hat_front_300.JPG

That is an epic failure of a hat, all most people are gonna see is the tree and the eyes/mouth.

They either dont know about having the right graphics for web, or if they do, just lazyness. I agree with you though. It's sad that they dont pay attention to those little details, because when you have such a drastic difference in appearance between the the colors modes, especially the neon green, it looks really bad.

What do you guys think I've been trying to do for the last 10 years?

B)

Just saw the Ems' new home uniform. Think :puke:, but on the top of a white uniform. Perhaps the sasquatch got sick from eating too many trees.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Primary-Logo.jpg

Primary Logo

Is that an artichoke he's holding?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Interesting. I don't know the last time I've seen a logo with such obvious motion away from the viewer as that cannon. Looks like they're trying to hit the wordmark.

Primary-Logo.jpg

Primary Logo

Is that an artichoke he's holding?

Well, I'll never unsee that now. Thanks.

On the plus side I now want my friend's artichoke dip... and man is that stuff good.

Archived