The Difference a Facemask Can Make

andycumbee19

I used to root against Joe Theismann because I hated the look of his face mask so much...

theismann.jpg

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

These two were awfully ugly, as well...

terry_bradshaw_1975_08_30.jpg

archie_manning_1973_01_01.jpg

The one in the first photo in the original post is actually my favorite of all-time. It's also the one Riddell chose for their mini helmets, so I may not be alone.

Loved that Bradshaw facemask when I was a little kid.

Still do, actually.

Not a fan of any of the facemasks on the Speed helmets.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Otto Graham once wore a clear facemask. Sort of reminds me of some of the iTech masks you see in hockey.

otto-graham-clear-facemask.jpg

then there was this, which is so bad it's awesome

john-williams-rams-facemask.jpg

And Harry Swayne once wore what looks like the grille on the front of my grandfather's Buick

harry-swayne-facemask.png

This is personally my favorite, looks great on any skill player. Has to have one cross bar on top though.

rg3crop.jpg

In high school i wore the same facemask tebow wore in college, which was about the best we had available so i was okay with that.

And i might be mistaken but i wanna say peyton manning had an elongated custom mask before the switch to the revo. I know he had one similar to marino but i think he also wore one a tad longer.

This is personally my favorite, looks great on any skill player. Has to have one cross bar on top though.

rg3crop.jpg

In high school i wore the same facemask tebow wore in college, which was about the best we had available so i was okay with that.

And i might be mistaken but i wanna say peyton manning had an elongated custom mask before the switch to the revo. I know he had one similar to marino but i think he also wore one a tad longer.

yea he wore the "Marino" before the Revo.

heres some of my favorites, and yes i like Peyton's current Revo mask. ( i think Jerry Rice and he were the first 2 to use it)

tom-brady-peyton-manning-matchups-gallery-x-large.jpg?1349727518

maurice-jones-drew.jpg

050911_eli_manning_hmed.hmedium.jpg

large_Julio%20Jones.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's pretty cool how some facemasks and players are associated with each other, for me Larry Fitz and Peyton are the poster boys for the basic revo.

And a lot of the texans d lineman wear the 3 bar style speed helmet which im sure will be associated with jj watt.

And countless qb's associated with the classic facemask that is used on fields and endzones etc.

Would be cool to see the browns update their logo to a revo speed :P

Thank you for another opportunity to vent my absolute disdain for the complete joke that was the Scott Player "chinmask." I'd never want the guy hurt but have to admit a forearm to the face might have been amusing.

9517604-large.jpg

We had a similar thread a while back about stuff like how Aaron Brooks wore his helmet so low that he always seemed to have make an effort to see out.

p1_brooks_graythen.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Thank you for another opportunity to vent my absolute disdain for the complete joke that was the Scott Player "chinmask." I'd never want the guy hurt but have to admit a forearm to the face might have been amusing.

9517604-large.jpg

We had a similar thread a while back about stuff like how Aaron Brooks wore his helmet so low that he always seemed to have make an effort to see out.

p1_brooks_graythen.jpg

i raise you 1 Jay Cutler

New+York+Giants+v+Chicago+Bears+KzrNXEM0HqPl.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I used to root against Joe Theismann because I hated the look of his face mask so much...

theismann.jpg

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

These two were awfully ugly, as well...

terry_bradshaw_1975_08_30.jpg

archie_manning_1973_01_01.jpg

The one in the first photo in the original post is actually my favorite of all-time. It's also the one Riddell chose for their mini helmets, so I may not be alone.

Wonder why that player tackling Bradshaw doesn't have a logo on his helmet?

Edit: Nevermind--the Bradshaw photo has changed.

I agree that a facemask can make a huge difference. Take Ray Lewis for example, the first facemask looks great and his is intimidating like always. While the second facemask makes him look like he trying way too hard.

ray-lewis-injury-ravens-10-15-12-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

RayLewis159075827.jpg

I think it was too small as well. The old mask that extended down farther looks to be the right proportion for those big, beefy linebackers. The new one made him look like he had a tiny head. My personal favorites are the basic QB/WR masks. I like the simplicity of them.

The classic version:

3b1143f2db7f3617190f6a706700d366.jpg

I don't like very many of the new helmet and facemask designs, but this combo is really appealing to me because it almost makes the Speed helmets look normal, or at least less overdone. I really like the shape and silhouette of the Speed, but all the vents and creases can be a little too much. It works for the Browns because the vent doesn't interfere with decals, but other teams have issues. Simplifying it would be optimum, but this basic facemask is the next best thing for me. This is actually my favorite piece of headwear out there right now:

51dz8nWLqiL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't like very many of the new helmet and facemask designs, but this combo is really appealing to me because it almost makes the Speed helmets look normal, or at least less overdone. I really like the shape and silhouette of the Speed, but all the vents and creases can be a little too much. It works for the Browns because the vent doesn't interfere with decals, but other teams have issues. Simplifying it would be optimum, but this basic facemask is the next best thing for me. This is actually my favorite piece of headwear out there right now:

51dz8nWLqiL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Me too. This on the other hand, I have yet to get used to

hlmt_revo_speed_zoom.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

hlmt_revo_speed_zoom.png

I may be just a goofy, young high school kid with no sense of "the past", but this is my favorite facemask. Ever. And you would not believe how comfortable the helmet itself is.

spacer.png

hlmt_revo_speed_zoom.png

I may be just a goofy, young high school kid with no sense of "the past", but this is my favorite facemask. Ever. And you would not believe how comfortable the helmet itself is.

You're not goofy, just young. Your taste in things is completely different than that of others not much older than you. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree that a facemask can make a huge difference. Take Ray Lewis for example, the first facemask looks great and his is intimidating like always. While the second facemask makes him look like he trying way too hard.

ray-lewis-injury-ravens-10-15-12-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

RayLewis159075827.jpg

I must be in the minority with this one because I love Ray Lewis' face mask. Kinda has that samurai warrior look to it.

sportslogosbutton1.pngsportslogosbutton2.png

2l9mudh.jpg

Archived