The Difference a Facemask Can Make

andycumbee19

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What ya'll are calling a "loop" was known as a "horseshoe."

1024.jpg?md=1361339651000

Facemasks have their own asthetic. As an old schooler, I like the old masks, they had character. In high school I loved Dunbar masks so much that I had an equipment manager outfit me with one:

1024.jpg?md=1361339739000

In college I wore a "box mask" with a perfect slope that looked very much like this:

1024.jpg?md=1361340797000

Beautiful.

FsQiF2W.png

Facemasks have their own asthetic. As an old schooler, I like the old masks, they had character. In high school I loved Dunbar masks so much that I had an equipment manager outfit me with one:

Were these masks rubber coated? The bars are just so wide. I would think a cage would be better for visibility, so what else did you like about it?

Were these masks rubber coated? The bars are just so wide. I would think a cage would be better for visibility, so what else did you like about it?

Maybe he was a big Ed Podolak fan. To this day that's the one guy that comes to mind when I see that mask.

chiefs370.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Yes, they were rubber-coated metal.

I liked this because they looked great. I had also worn a crossbar cage like this:

1024.jpg?md=1361387630000

the visibility was no different between the two.

FsQiF2W.png

This facemask is the best to my option, it fits not just the players, but also it's design for only Running Backs!

EmmittSmith.jpg

It might ruin it for you, but the nerdy origins of the upper bars on this mask were for eyeglass protection. That's why it's called the EGOP mask.

For me it's the (by now) old conventional Riddell QB face mask that looks the best:

23-41479-Y.jpg

That's the face mask I think of when I think "football helmet".

It also works in 2D:

browns.png

Those aren't the same mask. The NFL helmet graphics feature a pretty rare and short lived mask design, funnily enough. They should be updated if you ask me, or reverted to the classic two-bar profiles.

Remember when Ted Ginn Jr. wore a kickers facemask while at Ohio St. and with the Dolphins..

He has now gone to a traditional WR facemask.

I always thought that was kind of cool. Would have looked dorky without the visor, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Those aren't the same mask. The NFL helmet graphics feature a pretty rare and short lived mask design, funnily enough. They should be updated if you ask me, or reverted to the classic two-bar profiles.

Now that somebody mention it.....

5403274116_cbf7a5d683_b.jpg

One of my favorite uniforms

• 3 months later...

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

FUN FACT: Byron Leftwich is the only current NFL player to still wear the marino style mask

byron-leftwich.jpg

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

FUN FACT: Byron Leftwich is the only current NFL player to still wear the marino style mask

byron-leftwich.jpg

Yep, I hated when Esiason wore it...

o_z31fTXosnzTtSsw.jpg

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

byron-leftwich.jpg

I've always viewed that mask as the "Big-armed, but completely immobile" QB mask. Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, Brad Johnson, etc...

Of course, there are some exceptions, like Steve Young or Randall Cunningham (both for a little while), but it doesn't really help my mental picture of the mask.

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

byron-leftwich.jpg

I've always viewed that mask as the "Big-armed, but completely immobile" QB mask. Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, Brad Johnson, etc...

Of course, there are some exceptions, like Steve Young or Randall Cunningham (both for a little while), but it doesn't really help my mental picture of the mask.

I'll agree with everyone of these except Marino he is one the most mobile QB's in history. Could he run for a lot of yards? No but he could step one way or the other & fire down field better than anybody I have ever seen.

Even the NFL network voted him in the top 10 of all time.

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

byron-leftwich.jpg

Big tight ends make it look a lot better

espnlosangeles_g_gonzalez_mb_600.jpg

Archived