The Difference a Facemask Can Make

andycumbee19

In my opinion, this is the optimal style mask for most players - linemen, tight ends, running backs and linebackers (regardless of helmet - VSR-4, Revolution, Speed, DNA, Ion 4D, etc.):

1433488337_6b840e75ec_o.jpg

Tight enough to keep fingers out of your face, not too high to blur sightlines, not too low to introduce extra weight.

For the secondary/WRs/QB, I think this is most fitting:

201302021841672873741-p2.jpeg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, this is the optimal style mask for most players - linemen, tight ends, running backs and linebackers (regardless of helmet - VSR-4, Revolution, Speed, DNA, Ion 4D, etc.):

Tight enough to keep fingers out of your face, not too high to blur sightlines, not too low to introduce extra weight.

oh yea that one that Rudd is wearing is perfection. love it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

oh yea that one that Rudd is wearing is perfection. love it

That Rudd facemask is actually what I wore my senior season. I had the "traditional" lineman mask for a Revolution helmet (after wearing the same iteration on a VSR-4 and the same mask but with double-double horizontal bars...don't remember the coding for such a mask), and I ordered a mask that was supposed to be like Adewale Ogunleye's at the time. That was when Riddell moved toward "traditional" designs for their Revolution helmets and phased out the unique styles that Ogunleye, Peyton Manning, and Troy Polamalu (wore a Revo Short for about 2 games IIRC), and that was what I got.

Provided pretty much the same protection but was maybe 2/3 of the weight of the normal lineman mask. It was great.

Did anyone besides that wimpy guy :D Larry Csonka have the loop thing on the front of their helmets?

main_1.jpg

Jim Otto did...and he played center with a two-bar and the loop. :blink:

079016286.jpg

That pic of Otto also shows something I miss from 'back in the day' - the helmets weren't fixed up into perfect shape between games. Look at his - scrapes, dings, part of the logo missing...awesome. Also note the left guard's helmet with padded strip.

Found this of the RG, Gene Upshaw:

gene_upshaw.jpg

Funny how it forces the logo down almost to the earhole, very low compared to others (especially #75 in the Otto pic).

And how about Charlie Krueger playing DT with a two-bar and NO loop?

628x471.jpg '

Finally, another golden oldie...the single bar with the "getting hit in the nose hurts more than in the mouth" bump:

Perry60%20004.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Man, Charlie Krueger looks like he's 72 years old in that picture...

You're right...looks like they got him out of a rocker at the old folks' home to fill in for a couple of games. :D

The other facemask thing I've noticed is Steven Jackson's way of wearing his so it barely clears his nose. Would love to know if that's a specially made mask maybe shortened somehow. And I'm sure it's been pointed out but look at what they had to do to the shape of the horns to fit them on that helmet.

hi-res-135762517_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

does it bother anyone else when a player wears a mask thats unconventional for his position? like AP now wearing that 2 bar mask, one that has been popular with QBs and WRs in the past. for me i think it comes back to proportion and space. not just how it looks on the helmet, but because AP is such a big, beefy dude (6 ft, 215???) i think the mask he used to wear suits his build (and position) better.

in the case of Philip Wheeler, his build is fairly good for this mask (one i listed as one of my favorites), but his position (LB) makes it seem really odd and drives me nuts

220px-Philip_Wheeler.JPG

I personally love that Bengals interior defensive lineman Domata Peko wears this facemask

Domata_Peko--nfl_small_500_450.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

BTW, no wonder I thought I recalled another thread on this. I started it in 2007. :wacko:

Seriously? 6 years ago?

You just wanted to toot your trumpet. A new one is fine, your thread's statute of limitations has expired. :D

Anyway...

I tend to like the traditional look also. The older Riddell style looks great on the field and on merchandise.

23-41593-F.jpg

RGIII's style is about the best there is in the league today and close to that look. These Ray Lewis/Justin Tuck abominations just look stupid. It detracts from the team's UNIFORM look and is although some claim medical purposes, I tend to believe it's more of a "look at me!" move.

hi-res-158026283_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

Of course, the old classic 2-bar can't be beat, but it's not usable any more in this "safety conscious" game we have today.

riddell-san-diego-chargers-tk-throwback-helmet-74-87-d-20110218131026073~6372394w.jpg

87Redskins.png

does it bother anyone else when a player wears a mask thats unconventional for his position? like AP now wearing that 2 bar mask, one that has been popular with QBs and WRs in the past. for me i think it comes back to proportion and space. not just how it looks on the helmet, but because AP is such a big, beefy dude (6 ft, 215???) i think the mask he used to wear suits his build (and position) better.

in the case of Philip Wheeler, his build is fairly good for this mask (one i listed as one of my favorites), but his position (LB) makes it seem really odd and drives me nuts

220px-Philip_Wheeler.JPG

I personally love that Bengals interior defensive lineman Domata Peko wears this facemask

Domata_Peko--nfl_small_500_450.jpg

Peko looks like a fullback in that pic lol

Man, Charlie Krueger looks like he's 72 years old in that picture...

You're right...looks like they got him out of a rocker at the old folks' home to fill in for a couple of games. :D

The other facemask thing I've noticed is Steven Jackson's way of wearing his so it barely clears his nose. Would love to know if that's a specially made mask maybe shortened somehow. And I'm sure it's been pointed out but look at what they had to do to the shape of the horns to fit them on that helmet.

hi-res-135762517_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

it's not an altered face mask, its his hair that "pulls" it closer to his face

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'll add "the difference ear holes can make." I miss the basic round ear holes. And helmets that did not cause the Vikings (and others) to have to break their logos up.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Remember when Ted Ginn Jr. wore a kickers facemask while at Ohio St. and with the Dolphins..

He has now gone to a traditional WR facemask.

I don't know. I never smoked AstroTurf. ~Tug McGraw, when asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf.

628x471.jpg '

"Dammit, Ref!!! I'm gettin' held on every play!!"

Another shot of Charlie. Looks like holding wasn't the only thing going on in the trenches back then...

X17264-200.jpg

It's weird, though, he does look really old in the b&w pic but he played from age 21 to 36 and didn't turn 30 until 1967. Maybe it was hard livin'. :D

Archived