The Difference a Facemask Can Make

andycumbee19

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

FUN FACT: Byron Leftwich is the only current NFL player to still wear the marino style mask

byron-leftwich.jpg

I would wear this to avoid having my face rearranged. Troy Aikman wore this toward the end of his career.

On the other hand, I hated the look of Dan Marino's, as well, but for the opposite reason. It was too much face mask for a quarterback...

Dan%20Marino%20131.jpg

FUN FACT: Byron Leftwich is the only current NFL player to still wear the marino style mask

byron-leftwich.jpg

I've always viewed that mask as the "Big-armed, but completely immobile" QB mask. Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, Brad Johnson, etc...

Of course, there are some exceptions, like Steve Young or Randall Cunningham (both for a little while), but it doesn't really help my mental picture of the mask.

Add Lynn Dickey of the Packers to that list. Both for wearing the mask and for being "big-armed, but completely immobile."
Packers-2.png

Lynn Dickey actually wore a different mask

Dayf+Lynn+Dickey+1.jpg

I was actually going to bring that one up. The Packers of that era had a lot of facemasks like this which I associate with them and don't recall seeing on too many other teams. Paul Coffman had a particularly unusual one that I don't think I've ever seen on anyone else.

coffman0001_20091115962.gif

I was putting together a souvenir program at my design job and had to place these 2 photos. Looking at the two photos side by side, I realized just how much better #8 looks (and it's JUST because of the style of facemask!) Personally, based on my avatar, I'm sure you can see why I love this team's helmets so much. :winner: Am I alone on this or do you also believe that a facemask can make a helmet look more/less visually appealing?

Malcolm_-_HSSR_zps92365b79.jpg

RJ_Tyler_-_HSSR_zps9edc5dc9.jpg

So Wagener-Salley is the War Eagles, but uses Alabama's helmet design...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Is it me, or does this kid look like James Jones, the basketball player?

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Dayf+Lynn+Dickey+1.jpg

I was actually going to bring that one up. The Packers of that era had a lot of facemasks like this which I associate with them and don't recall seeing on too many other teams. Paul Coffman had a particularly unusual one that I don't think I've ever seen on anyone else.

Yeah, those were the facemasks made by Riddell. Many of the Bengals players during that era wore those, most notably Cris Collinsworth and Pete Johnson.

For some reason, I kinda like them. Nostalgia, probably.

Dickey also wore the Marino-style mask. Thought I remembered that.

The logo sitting right on the earhole is awful.

1977-Media%2BGuide.jpg

Wonder why he changed his number?

I was putting together a souvenir program at my design job and had to place these 2 photos. Looking at the two photos side by side, I realized just how much better #8 looks (and it's JUST because of the style of facemask!) Personally, based on my avatar, I'm sure you can see why I love this team's helmets so much. :winner: Am I alone on this or do you also believe that a facemask can make a helmet look more/less visually appealing?

Malcolm_-_HSSR_zps92365b79.jpg

So Wagener-Salley is the War Eagles, but uses Alabama's helmet design...

Very clever... but Hey.... Greer uses both the Georgia G and the GT Yellow Jacket logo. It's high school after all.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Dayf+Lynn+Dickey+1.jpg

Yeah, those were the facemasks made by Riddell. Many of the Bengals players during that era wore those, most notably Cris Collinsworth and Pete Johnson.

The Bengals of the late 80's wore these thin, boxy riddell masks and it feels like they were the only team to do so.

nfl_u_iwoods_400.jpg

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Dayf+Lynn+Dickey+1.jpg

The Bengals of the late 80's wore these thin, boxy riddell masks and it feels like they were the only team to do so.

nfl_u_iwoods_400.jpg

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

Well the Bengals are notoriously cheap. Once Riddell started making facemasks (other than the plastic one and two bar models) they would provide them for free when the team bought the helmet. Unless a player complained and wanted a specific Schutt facemask they would just use those "freebie" Riddell facemasks.

Dayf+Lynn+Dickey+1.jpg

nfl_u_iwoods_400.jpg

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

Well the Bengals are notoriously cheap. Once Riddell started making facemasks (other than the plastic one and two bar models) they would provide them for free when the team bought the helmet. Unless a player complained and wanted a specific Schutt facemask they would just use those "freebie" Riddell facemasks.

That was the exact reason they wore those. The masks were free with the helmets. Take a look at the '88 Bengals. Dang near all of them wore the Riddell masks. There was an article that I read several years ago, during the Bengals lean years that brought this point up. The penny pinching started before Paul Brown died. A friend of our family is Bruce Riemers, who played on the '88 team. He has shared many stories of how cheap the Bengals were back then.

Dayf+Lynn+Dickey+1.jpg

nfl_u_iwoods_400.jpg

69.krumrie.alt.jpg

That was the exact reason they wore those. The masks were free with the helmets. Take a look at the '88 Bengals. Dang near all of them wore the Riddell masks. There was an article that I read several years ago, during the Bengals lean years that brought this point up. The penny pinching started before Paul Brown died. A friend of our family is Bruce Riemers, who played on the '88 team. He has shared many stories of how cheap the Bengals were back then.

I'm pretty sure the chargers had or still have a similar reputation when it comes to expenditures on overhead.

Archived