Minor leagues using parent club logos...

hormone

I was browsing the minor league changes post and noticed the Cubs logo on the Pants of the Boise Hawks. I believe I've seen the stingray on the sleeve of the Durham Bulls. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on using that? Is it a good idea to be associated with the parent club like that or from a logo standpoint, does it make no sense a Bull is associated with aquatic life? Is it taking away from an alternate sleeve patch of a bull? etc. I'm sure there are a ton of parent logos in hockey and baseball.

KISSwall09.jpg

Lots of MiLB teams do it not only with a patch on the jersey, but with workout & dugout gear. I've only seen shoulder patches on hockey Jerseys though.

For example: I go to a lot of SAL baseball games and I know the Riverdogs pitching coach always wears a Yankees pullover/windbreaker shirt. They even have NYY pinstripes for when the Red Sox affiliate Greenville visits (as do they have Sawx uniforms)

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I like it in baseball. It provides a little connection to the parent club, and as long as the individual team has its own identity, that little tie-in is all that's needed. The Akron Aeros (AA) and Lake Countain Captians (A) affiliates of the Clevelend Indians do it:

nick-weglarz1.jpg

lake%20county%20captains%20640-360%20staycay%202.jpg

It's pretty standard in hockey and I think in baseball it's fine. When the minor league teams have their parent clubs full branding is when it gets bland in my opinion.

I agree it's pretty lame, but I understand why teams do it. They're trying to expand the market.

I think it's fine as a sleeve/shoulder patch. It's when a team adopts the parent club's identity wholesale that I get annoyed. I don't care if you want to call it a "branding extension" or whatever, it comes off to me as cheap and lazy. Looking squarely at you, IoWild.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think it's fine as a sleeve/shoulder patch. It's when a team adopts the parent club's identity wholesale that I get annoyed. I don't care if you want to call it a "branding extension" or whatever, it comes off to me as cheap and lazy. Looking squarely at you, IoWild.

How bland must the entire state of iowa be to have their hockey (wild) and baseball (cubs) team adopt the parent clubs' names

How bland must the entire state of iowa be to have their hockey (wild) and baseball (cubs) team adopt the parent clubs' names

Even before they became the I-Cubs, they used a hand-me-down nickname from Oakland (Oaks).

Culturally, Iowa is right up there with Kansas and Nebraska as far as dowdy Midwesterness goes, but at least Des Moines has a pretty nice skyline for a city its size.

Des_Moines_skyline_night.jpg

is it so much the case of a minor league "adopting" a parent club logo/name or the big league team doing it to them. I am thinking of the case of the iowa wild, its the parent team that moved them and gave them the name.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Some of the NBA D-League jerseys have the parent club logo. I believe the Tulsa 66ers has the OKC logo on the shorts side panel. I'm not sure about others especially the multiple affiliate teams.

All the teams that are affilliated with the D-League teams appear on the shorts. Since no team had more than three it didn't get too cluttered. The D-League continues to grow and at some point I think it's possible that all 30 teams will have a D-League team of their own.

Most of the jackets and stuff are hand me downs from the MLB affiliate. They were worn in previous seasons. I personally like the MLB affiliate patches, I think it adds a cool element to the MiLB jersey.

What I didn't like, was in 2011 when the Giants affiliates wore the World Series Champions patches on their uniforms. Those teams didn't win the World Series!

This year, the Cardinals farm clubs (At least AAA Memphis and AA Springfield) are wearing the Stan Musial memorial patch, which I think is a cool gesture.

I like having the parent club's patch on the jerseys, it makes it easy for the fans keep track.

I don't even mind when a minor league team uses the parent club's full brand...within reason. If it's a brand new team, like the Iowa Wild, then whatever, I'll deal.

What I HATE are when minor league affiliates have their colors and identities ripped away from them to match the parent club, which happens continuously in the AHL. The Springfield Falcons had a great brand identity of their own, though not perfect, the look was theirs and the gimmick sleeve talons was a great minor league touch. Now they've been lobotomized to match the Blue Jackets. The Syracuse Crunch have perhaps had a worse go of it. That annoys me to no end, ruining good things for what? To re-use equipment when they come up? Most of them need new ones because of logos or stripes and such anyway. What a waste.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Like others have said, I dont mind a patch but the using the parent teams branding is just flat out boring and lazy. I mean do we really need two hockey teams named the Stars (Dallas/Texas). I guess I am still bitter about my Ice Bats leaving town/folding :mad:

slsig_zps2620f60c.jpg

july-6-chukars-1-w.jpg

That sleeve patch is what the Rockies need to adopt as their own. that is really nice! I love that script on it.

Also, the Gwinnett Braves annoy me. They have the same name as their parent club, and use the same logos pretty much. While I like the cap logo, I hate the primary.

Primary

hhceti4s0ozc5f38qwxzta39x.gif

Cap

bfg7dlt4y3eixk7phx1q9066w.gif

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived