Letter-modified Pro logos

nash61

Finding out the Expos' swirlidydoo was an M brought me the same joy as finding out the ball-in-glove was an m and a b. I love the Trudeau-era abstract weirdness of it the same way I do the Nordiques' elephant igloo and dozens of goofy-ass LHJMQ logos lost in the annals of time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abstract weirdness is a perfect way to describe Quebec's general sports logo aesthetic...

I think it would be stronger if the M was a solid colour. As it is now people sometimes think there's supposed to be an L in there and it throws them off.

Finding out the Expos' swirlidydoo was an M brought me the same joy as finding out the ball-in-glove was an m and a b. I love the Trudeau-era abstract weirdness of it the same way I do the Nordiques' elephant igloo and dozens of goofy-ass LHJMQ logos lost in the annals of time.

This. So much about Montreal, in sports logos and beyond, is delightfully stuck in the late 60s/70s.

I've noticed that too! There's a lot of that sort of late '60s/'70s futurism that aged so poorly, combined with what David Foster Wallace once called "crumbling splendor." It's hard to pin down exactly what I mean by that, but it's there, and the Expos represented it well.

I guess that hideous Stade Olympique would be a good first example, but there's more.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That span from Expo 67 to the 1976 Olympics was a big time for Montreal -- both of those are huge, city-altering events that happened to occur in a very distinctive time period whose aesthetic hasn't aged well. But that's where the baseball team came from, as well as tons and tons of buildings, the Metro, etc. It's pretty interesting.

I can't resist anymore, I have to do this....

802is6bn4bxq8oataxf3l22nf.gif

Your welcome.

Man, I think the Yankees missed an opportunity to interlock the T and Y. It looks weird separated especially when you find out they did an interlocking logo for S and I.

You can see some influence from the Nationals in their AA-affiliate Harrisburg Senators.

funny, for just a split second it looks like his last name on the front of the jersey :)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Helena Brewers use their own spin on the parent club's logo:

Helena_Brewers_Logo.PNG

I also liked their old one:

ceenz8d122cjwf88hohujskee.gif

They actually fixed a problem I have with the National League club's logo, the big empty space in the "B". A rare improvement from the farm club.

The Helena (Montana) Brewers have a look that reflects the parent club:

hzynh19jgwfrefg54kl7qpd66.gif

This is their old logo, which I always liked. The big hole in the Brewers' B bothers me, and this is an inspired solution:

6faece14bhdaux6hnmqvtigtb.gif

Was the white-blue background thing purposeful? :P

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Moscow North Stars

lJtUBXuOTpM.jpg

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The Helena Brewers use their own spin on the parent club's logo:

Helena_Brewers_Logo.PNG

I also liked their old one:

ceenz8d122cjwf88hohujskee.gif

They actually fixed a problem I have with the National League club's logo, the big empty space in the "B". A rare improvement from the farm club.

The Helena (Montana) Brewers have a look that reflects the parent club:

hzynh19jgwfrefg54kl7qpd66.gif

This is their old logo, which I always liked. The big hole in the Brewers' B bothers me, and this is an inspired solution:

6faece14bhdaux6hnmqvtigtb.gif

Was the white-blue background thing purposeful? :P

Wow. Oops.

At least I'm consistent. ;)

• 3 months later...

Midland_Flyers_logo___Content.jpg

Midland Flyers Jr. C

opjhl--milton_merchants_2000-01.gif

Milton Merchants Jr. A

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2.10.08-STATEN-ISLAND-YANKEES.jpg

282389d1366135145-request-staten-island-

That "Y" logo on the Staten Island Yankees' caps really bugs me. First of all, the cap should be using the same "SI" logo that appears on the jersey. But, if they insist on using a Y, then it ought to be the Y from the Yankees' wordmark, as in the Scranton logo:

l6rhc7w0gaple4fl8e0g2aqza.gif

When the Syracuse Chiefs were a Blue Jays farm club, they used Blue-Jay-style lettering and numbering.

At first they paired these uniforms with a pillbox cap:

13eacd0c-e721-4e9e-bdb8-6fc80c1a7fe1.jpgm9-0evq0SLScOec9bGLERRg.jpg

Then they went to a cap having an "S" logo in Blue Jay letters:

66468-9Fr.jpg66468-23Fr.jpg

They finally came up with an absolutely gorgeous Blue-Jay-ish rendering of a chief for a cap logo:

62045-3847725Fr.jpg62045-3847747Fr.jpg

That overall look was superb, especially as the uniforms had come to feature button-down jerseys and belted pants.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead with the Omaha Knights

73-74%20Omaha%20Scwaab%20frt.JPG

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived