All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Y'all know Long John Neck Silver is gonna try to take credit for that, right?
  3. The White Sox, Astros, Marlins, Nationals, Rockies (with white pants, and Rays were the best of the City Connect program IMO. The Mets, Angels, DBacks, Royals were good, not great. The rest all suck.
  4. Is it too early for the "remember 1994" chants??
  5. I'm not even going to address that "logo"... ...But did these people not learn from the last New England sports team to build a stadium "smack-dab between" two cities? If not for the Patriots having been to 6000 Super Bowls, I don't even know how well-attended those games would be! Now sure, Patriot Place is undergoing (or was, as of the last time I was there a year or two ago) a lot of renovation, adding stores and some shopping. But it's still on a back route between Providence and Boston, with (as far as I know) next to no public transportation access, and...and these people wanna build an arena between Hartford and Springfield?? I-91 is already enough of a death trap as it is as soon as you cross the Mass state line! (And it really ain't much better closer to/through Hartford). That's just gonna be even more of a traffic hell than it already is. Unless they plan (pie in the sky as that is) on building out by Bradley somewhere, I see no way in which the logistics of such an endeavour would even begin to work out...
  6. TEAM #4: Fort Worth 45ers And now we are on our fourth team! This team is also a relocation "What-If," this time being... What if the takeover attempt of the San Fransisco 49ers succeeded in 1953? As we know, Dallas had lost the Texans at the end of the 1952 season, but the then-young 49ers were struggling a bit. So much so that there could been owners that wanted to move the team elsewhere (There really is not much of a source for this). Tony Morabito, the ever-confident 49ers owner at the time, did not let it happen in real life, but what if it succeeded? For the what changes part, it's the same as the D-Texans except the city getting an identity back is San Fransisco. The new 49ers still stay in the NFC West. Logo Sheet The identity, as you could probably guess, is based mostly on the 49ers. Their current logo and the wordmark they used until 2021 are the basis for the primary logo and wordmark respectively. The shield is also based on a former 49ers logo, that being a shield (yes a shield), they used from 2007 until 2011. I did a similar idea with the FW Bulls, but the bullhorn marka and the man with a bandana are entirely original logos. Home Uniform This is comparatively traditional to the other three teams I've done, and that's for a reason. The basis for both the home and away are the 1999-2008 49ers uniforms, although the striping is closer to the '36 Bears throwbacks/LSU but shifted downward. NOB: John Brodie. The GOAT 49er QB before Joe Cool came around, he started his career a couple of years after the start of this What If situation, in 1957. He played with the Niners for 17 seasons, becoming the starter in 1961. Away Uniform I already gave a description for the away uniform (same as the home but flipped), so I'll just give the NOB here. It's not someone you'd expect thought. Enter R.C. Owens, the end (that's what receivers were called back in the day) that started the "Alley-Oop" in sports (yes, the use of that term did not originate in basketball). You might know him more from this play (he's the guy in #27 by the way). Alternate Uniform (Heritage) The "Heritage" uniform is similar to the 49ers' current alt, also honoring the 1955-56 uniforms, with the only difference being the serifs I used for the number referencing the fact this is the Wild West region. The player I used here just passed away, that being CB Jimmy Johnson (had to put CB in the front to clarify). RIP to a former Dallas native. Before I start on Team #5 (What if Lamar Hunt bought the Cardinals?), I'm thinking about making a rivalry logo for the two Fort Worth teams so far and the Cowboys, using their current identity. I'll update it once I make their new identity (currently listed at #8). Anyhow, that's the end of this post. C+C is appreciated as always, and onto the next!
  7. I did go back and forth on it before I posted them originally, just because RMU has been trying to de-emphasize their use of the Colonial man logos (which they've technically retired them all) but since I used the headshot on the baseball hats changing the hockey jerseys would work too. I went with the headshot logo that's combined with the wordmark. It filled the space a lot better. I also dumped the two-color collars and swapped the circle wordmark out for the previous Rangers style jersey treatment.
  8. Yeti/Yeti's... Both names are terrible.
  9. I disagree. Miami Heat is better to me for a name that doesn't end in S, and using Football Team seems like the team was too lazy to come up with a real name. As a placeholder it's fine, but I wouldn't use that full time.
  10. Hard to have 3 schools grouped together to be outliers. They most likely will schedule travel to all three for all sports and make it cost effective.
  11. Sky are more sky blue and navy though, not Warriors royal, so I don't know that that would stop them. That said, wouldn't be surprised to see the ownership group see this as their opportunity to go fully into the slate color that they love so much, just for funsies. The Toronto team is not going to be owned by MLSE but as a side project of one of their billionaire investors, so tough to guess what direction that one might go in.
  12. Today
  13. Hartford and Springfield should be a CSA, and I don't know why it's not. I agree with keeping them separate metro areas, but plenty of people live in one city and commute to the other for work. If you combined the two metros into one CSA, you would get something comparable to Vegas, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Nashville in terms of population. Hartford does punch a little above its weight class when it comes to economic performance relative to most other cities in the United States. But Springfield does not, and for the life of me, I don't understand why you would want to build an arena between the two cities, and not just in downtown Hartford. Not only is Hartford the more economically viable option, but it's not even up for debate. This sounds like the Richfield Coliseum plan, only worse. You also have one of the most elite college basketball programs in the country playing there, along with the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, so it's not like the area is underserved for basketball. I'm not saying a team in Hartford couldn't work. But this layout, with the teams splitting time between the two cities and building a 17,000+ seat arena in the middle of nowhere, sounds like a very pie-in-the-sky idea. If you want to bring a team to the Hartford/Springfield area, go with an NHL team because that area is more into hockey than basketball. There's a reason why six out of 64 D1 hockey programs are in Connecticut and Western Mass in addition to three AHL clubs. If the Celtics wanted to return to playing a handful of regular season games a year in Hartford, I think that would be enough.
  14. I think your statement about when you grew up is what is the driving factor in what color the Bills' helmet ought to be. I'd be hard pressed to say this is or isn't an unpopular opinion.
  15. I hope not. There's already a blue & gold team with the Chicago Sky. The name should be announced next week or relatively soon. Not sure if they have the branding yet. Also in the news: Toronto has landed an expansion team for 2026.
  16. The New England Founders. Isn't that an episode of Murder She Wrote.
  17. Speak for yourself, I still think “San Diego” when the word “Chargers” comes to mind!
  18. "Proposed" in the title is doing a lot of legwork here. If one dying city is no longer a major-league market, there's always trying two dying cities, together.
  19. I saw the game-tying goal go in and I missed overtime. The first time I checked the score after OT started, the Rangers had already won. It's strange how I didn't get that sinking feeling that usually comes with the opponent scoring a late tying goal. This Rangers team is just unbelievable.
  20. Only because the NFL has some pretty good names. It would be the best team name in the Big 4 leagues that doesn't end with s IMO.
  21. Thanks Thanks. I'd be curious to track this as it gets closer to closing time to see if anyone makes a mysterious rise up the charts
  22. Things have been a little too down to earth, let's get weird with it today. Buccaneers: The Buccaneers brand takes much of its inspiration from Spanish privateers of the 1600s. The jersey features an orange chest stripe on a red jersey, inspired by spain's yellow and red flag. One of the great things about their pewter helmets and pants is that they translate perfectly to faux leather pants and helmets. Carolina: It's been a while since I've used the old school leather strips design on a team. Carolina features these strips in light blue, arranged in a manner to form a crown, based on Charlotte's nickname, the Queen City, and logo, a crown. While the original version of this jersey would've been all light blue, the modern version includes a black front number to improve visibility as well as incorporate the Panthers' other primary color. The helmet design features panther ears on each side of the helmet in place of an old school wings. While a panther is famously black, I decided to go with white ears, as in many cases actual animal colors were completely ignores (see: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles). Finally, there's been a lot of dark brown for pants, but there was actually some variation during the earliest days of the game, with some teams opting for a more tan color for their pants. Saints: They're not going to get more over the top than this one from here on out. The Saints take most of inspiration not from American Football, but from Rugby. More specifically I wanted a design inspired by Harlequins' four quarter jersey design. Functionally, this wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility in the NFL, as multiple teams wore horizontally halved jerseys and at least one team wore a vertically halved jerseys. I just combined the two ideas for quadrants. Here, the saints pair the traditional gold and black with green and purple for a full mardi gras color scheme. The bottom left quadrant contains purple, the top right quadrant green, and the other two quadrants black. The numbers are Clarendon in gold and feature shoulder numbers, a purposeful anachronism (I don't know why, but I've always enjoyed throwback mistakes like the 94-95 49ers). The helmet features a wing style inspired by the famous three pronged jester hats, each colored in purple, black, and green respectively on the gold helmet. Falcons: The Falcons bring us back down to earth with a considerably more traditional design. Pairing shoulder yokes and sleeve stripes wasn't uncommon in the 1920s, and I felt combining the two would work with the Falcons' color scheme. The jersey features a red shoulder yoke with red sleeves contrasting the white jersey. On the sleeves is an alternating black, white, and red sleeve pattern that, if the sleeves were long like during the actual era, would repeat to the sleeve cuff. The socks while also red, feature a different stripe pattern with black and red stripes eventually meeting the black, white, red stripe pattern at the bottom of the sock. Both the helmet and pants are very traditional to the era; the pants are a light tan while the helmet is painted with black on top and red on the bottom.
  23. And there is no way the NBA won't give the expansion teams to Seattle and Las Vegas as you said earlier It did make for a great laugh though and let's not get started on the logo lol
  24. Here's the poll as of the time of this post: So like I proclaimed before, the name is going to be already is Yeti(s)...
  25. So are we expecting the Golden State WNBA Team to have a similar color scheme to the Warriors?
  26. Someone went to college for four years, earned a marketing degree, got a job with a high buck agency, and tossed that on the table. Amazing. Simply amazing.
  27. They do know that the Boston Celtics exist right? Right?
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.