Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

But think of what it might do to the deeeeevellllllopmennnnnnt

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And the Sharks only see young players as trade fodder to get aging vets to frantically stave off collapse.

Speaking of which, they're probably pushing that idiot round idea on the grounds that they could probably assure themselves of a 9 or 10 seed at least.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm fine with the Snowflakes playing eight fewer games than the rest of the league. Just give them eight forfeit losses. That can be the price the Sharks pay for having their undrafted college free agents across the street.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Love the Gulls turnout for the logo/team unveiling which is awesome for west coast hockey. So what really concerns me is the goof ball responses to the whole AHL migration to the west. How about we embrace it and be happy for the spread of the great sport of HOCKEY. and be haaaappppyy!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm fine with the Snowflakes playing eight fewer games than the rest of the league. Just give them eight forfeit losses. That can be the price the Sharks pay for having their undrafted college free agents across the street.

Or assign conference playoff spots and seeding entirely on point totals. No automatic seeds/playoff bids even for division champions. :)

Love the Gulls turnout for the logo/team unveiling which is awesome for west coast hockey. So what really concerns me is the goof ball responses to the whole AHL migration to the west. How about we embrace it and be happy for the spread of the great sport of HOCKEY. and be haaaappppyy!!!!!

The great sport of HOCKEY is not exactly hitting new markets with this move.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The first Admirals game I ever went to (back in '94) was against the San Diego Gulls.

THIS is why I hope the Cali teams will play some games against other divisions in their conference...so I can relive the memories again!

bYhYmxh.png

I also don't think it's very Good For Development to only see four other teams all year. That doesn't really prepare you for a semi-balanced schedule.

Did we talk about how nice the new Gulls logo is? The new Gulls logo is very good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hey I'm totally behind it even if only a 68 game season (it'll mean slightly cheaper season tickets for me). It also tracks with the totals and per game amounts that the Gulls released on Sunday if they are playing a 34 game home schedule http://sandiegogulls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/15-16-SDAHL_seatingpricing_MAP.pdf.

And I'm glad San Diego came out in droves for it. It was shocking to everyone including the owners and the executives how much San Diego wanted a hockey team back with the over 8,500 showing up and over 1,600 season ticket deposits. And it'll be good hockey too, better than San Diego's enjoyed since the days of the Mariners.

And yes the Gulls new logo is a nice upgrade over the old ECHL logo it was based on.

It's fine if they're playing a 68-game schedule in their own league. It's fine if the rest of the league also drops down to a 68-game schedule. It's not fine if five teams are playing 68 games, and the other twenty-five play 76, because of Hockey Reasons.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

But are you really mad about it? Really?

We've established that the AHL's primary function is development, not really being an internally competitive league. There are some teams that care more about winning than others (See: your own Chicago Wolves), but do you, as a Chicago Blackhawks fan, really care if Rockford wins the Calder Cup or not? Is it a nice gold star for the organization as a top-to-bottom whole? Sure. Or would you rather Rockford grow, hone, and churn out NHL talent without ever making the playoffs? Getting lower-level playoff experience is a nice notch in the belt for any prospect, but I'd exchange the minor team's success for player development every time.

Like it sucks for the minor league team, and I always think about them when a team makes a couple call-ups (like how the Ducks have raided Norfolk's goaltending situation lately and bloated the Admirals with NHL veteran talent in Heatley, Fistric, Steckel, and now Bryzgalov). But if it helps the NHL franchise, I'm always going to be for it.

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

It's fine if they're playing a 68-game schedule in their own league. It's fine if the rest of the league also drops down to a 68-game schedule. It's not fine if five teams are playing 68 games, and the other twenty-five play 76, because of Hockey Reasons.

Yeah it is odd that they'd go with two different schedules, but it also makes sense from the perspective of the various owners. The Pacific teams are all NHL owned, their primary concern is player development, not the team's actual gate. The eastern divisions with the majority being independently owned are interested in having more home games for the gate. It's not perfect, but you can understand their reasons, particularly in the Pacific as they are overall organizationally hockey related even if they're not AHL hockey specific issues.

I do care about it, because I've been to a lot more AHL/IHL games than NHL ones, and it's becoming fairly obvious that I'll never be able to afford to go to an NHL game in this city again. I've seen the Wolves raise the Calder Cup in person twice, and the Turner Cup once. I've seen good, fun, competitive hockey. I don't want to lay down $20 plus parking and concessions to see systems implementation where the schedule's made up and the standings points don't matter.

If the NHL really wants to push this direct ownership and development above all model (which, side benefit for them at the next CBA: look at all these additional expenses we have!), then just house practice squads and run intrasquad scrimmages in rinks instead of arenas. Develop on-site with the parent club's staff always within arm's reach. And let the markets and owners that want minor league hockey make a league. Good time to do it, too, since the KHL's new anti-import policy could bring a lot of 4-A guys back to North America.

This shouldn't even be an issue. Minor league baseball is both fully affiliated and independently competitive. Hockey can't be because the never-will-bes in San Jose can't sufficiently untwist their undies?

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. Reason why I just go to Cyclones games. Haven't been to a Blue Jackets game in years. Too damn expensive.

At least these guys in the ECHL aren't pampered and have houses beyond their means. I'll pay cheaper prices and watch the next big thing. I've seen numerous guys who have made the big time come through Cincy.

I do care about it, because I've been to a lot more AHL/IHL games than NHL ones, and it's becoming fairly obvious that I'll never be able to afford to go to an NHL game in this city again. I've seen the Wolves raise the Calder Cup in person twice, and the Turner Cup once. I've seen good, fun, competitive hockey. I don't want to lay down $20 plus parking and concessions to see systems implementation where the schedule's made up and the standings points don't matter.

If the NHL really wants to push this direct ownership and development above all model (which, side benefit for them at the next CBA: look at all these additional expenses we have!), then just house practice squads and run intrasquad scrimmages in rinks instead of arenas. Develop on-site with the parent club's staff always within arm's reach. And let the markets and owners that want minor league hockey make a league. Good time to do it, too, since the KHL's new anti-import policy could bring a lot of 4-A guys back to North America.

This shouldn't even be an issue. Minor league baseball is both fully affiliated and independently competitive. Hockey can't be because the never-will-bes in San Jose can't sufficiently untwist their undies?

Minor league baseball is all over the country, too though. It's also two separate leagues (with each league having its own structure) that don't play each other. And hell, it's like the Pacific Coast League is a tight group, but they seem to fare just fine.

Really, the whole thing is a work in progress. I'm sure Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Phoenix would like teams closer, Colorado too. If they eventually get their teams out this way, then the structure will change again. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the structure changed next season. But this is what we have for the minute.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Two things, one as someone mentioned this is likely a work in progress. These 5 won't remain alone in the west for long. Second, it's really only San Jose that is operating their AHL team as a glorified practice squad (much as it pains me to say so as a Sharks fan). And even that might not be long term as they only are doing so for lack of better options. The Ducks for one made it very clear this weekend they expect the Gulls to not only develop their players but to also compete and win in their own right just as the eastern NHL owned teams have done for years. I'd point out the pts leader in the AHL right now is the Kings wholly owned Monarchs.

Now it may be a bit of a downer that they're playing less games for now, but when you consider the bulk of their games are likely to be intradivision you can see some of the logic behind it. San Diego can only play San Jose, Stockton, Ontario and Bakersfield so many times. And making big east coast swings defeats the the proximity purpose of the Pacific Division existing in the first place.

It's not one or the other... it's both. The AHL is a competitive league AND a development organization for the NHL. NFL practice squads are pure development entities. The difference between the AHL and a practice squad is that thousands of people don't pay to watch the practice squad do its thing (I'm sure the NFL is working on it, though). The AHL can tell you you're seeing the stars of tomorrow, and the NCAA can tell you that student-athletes are playing sports to build character, but the reason people put down money to go to the games is that they want to see the team that happens to operate in their city win. At the same time, though, I think minor league fans know the deal; the parent clubs basically loan the talent that they don't have room for on the big club's roster. Pulling stupid stunts like having one division play less games than the others and mostly playing intradivision games before waltzing however many of its teams into the playoffs threatens to tip the seesaw too far towards the "development" side.

I mean, if the AHL west is going to essentially act as its own league, why not... you know... just have two leagues.

Personally, I'd go with three leagues, bring back the IHL, and have a CHL-style tournament to determine the overall champion.

• Like 1