Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Hamilton, being a satellite of Toronto and its major international airport, makes it an ideal location for a number of NHL cities. Its arena is too big for major-junior (it's too big for the AHL, too). Meanwhile, Belleville is the kind of place where the OHL should be thriving (and I saw no indications that it was failing). Combine it with St. John's hanging on as a waystation until ANOTHER team parks its farm club in its suburbs, and I don't think this suits everyone well.

While it wasn't exactly failing, it hasn't really been thriving that much over the last couple of years. The owner had been trying to get a new rink for a few years now. As much as I like their rink, it's pretty outdated as far as modern OHL standards go. At the same time, the team hasn't exactly been the best either over the last couple of years and attendance has dropped significantly with it. It's too bad that they are moving, they have some pretty good fans and when that team is good, their rink is quite a rocking place (the 2008 finals being the best experience I can think of with that).

As for Hamilton getting an OHL team, even though I've been very critical about that market for years I kind of want to see how they do. Major junior hockey has change a lot since they had their last team in the early 90's and has become a much bigger deal than it was then. I could see this doing better than the AHL since they now won't be watching the Habs prospects in Leafs/Sabres territory for one. Also because there is a little more emphasis on building a contender with the OHL that isn't exactly something that is seen in the AHL.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Brampton will be lucky to have a team in the ECHL next year. I think that's what they had in mind with the realignment. The Cyclones can easily be put in the North in their place.

Brampton currently has an ECHL team, I'm not sure I follow this statement.

I mean, I won't be surprised if the team folds because, well, attendance is :censored:. Besides a pocket schedule available at in line at the beer store, I haven't seen much advertisement for the team either. And I drive by the arena daily (on my way to and from work)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The Belleville Bulls moving to Hamilton? I did not see that coming!

Canadian tweeters say it was out of left field! Everyone has been taken aback by it.

Now when do we hear rumors of the Panthers relocating to Quebec City or Hartford?

Whalers fans have been saying that one bottom team or another will move to Hartford, but the XL Center (Hartford Civic Center) is to old and would have to be either fully remodeled or rebuilt before anyone even thinks of putting a team in Hartford. Heck the city is building a new minor league baseball stadium instead. The governor wants the XL Center to be upgraded, but has put the state $150 millions in debt and is begging UConn to partner with them to upgrade the arena. UConn seems to want no part of it since they're in the middle of a $1.75 billion upgrade to their campus in Storrs and in Hartford.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

Look on the bright side of today's musical chairs:

We may have the return of the Manitoba Moose!

Still not seeing how that is a good thing beyond the name (which was still an inferior name to the Winnipeg Jets). What San Jose and Winnipeg are doing with the AHL team in the same building makes little sense for the AHL. It's turning the AHL squads into glorified reserve teams nothing more. Hopefully in both cases it's just temporary.

It is. Both teams have said as much.

Brampton will be lucky to have a team in the ECHL next year. I think that's what they had in mind with the realignment. The Cyclones can easily be put in the North in their place.

Brampton currently has an ECHL team, I'm not sure I follow this statement.

I mean, I won't be surprised if the team folds because, well, attendance is :censored:. Besides a pocket schedule available at in line at the beer store, I haven't seen much advertisement for the team either. And I drive by the arena daily (on my way to and from work)

Seems like you follow the statement perfect. Brampton is on thin ice.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

^ Yeah, coming back to this thread today, I think that I just misread that statement. My bad.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Winnipeg is waiting for a market that makes sense to present itself.

Gary Bettman put in a good word for these guys...

LasVegasStrip-1_1.jpg

They're not angling for an AHL team. They want an NHL team. And they'll probably get it. Either through expansion with Seattle or relocation of someone like Phoenix.

Quebec looks ready. The arena is almost done. Looks like the Sprint Center but in white. It's quite impressive! All they have to do now is not be a small francophone city and they are in.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

$400 million arena that will probably only host hockey performed by players earning a $50 weekly stipend. Maybe Québec should angle for the NCAA!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In fairness, I think they legitimately needed a new barn for all the other stuff that arenas do, too, because touring acts were bypassing the Colisee for not having whatever specifications are needed for concert stages and stuff. The place doesn't even have air conditioning, does it?

Still, that doesn't excuse the way the NHL told a market that would deliver guaranteed mid-range revenues at worst to go screw itself.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It doesn't excuse the actions of the elected officials in deep with corporate interests, either, who basically told the voters, "Look, just look the other way on the sketchy dealings involved to get this publicly-funded money pit built for a few years, and you're going to have your Nordiques at the end of it." Ought to be some heads on pikes coming out of this if an NHL team doesn't materialize.

Still better than Chicago, though, who basically did the same thing without ever promising more than DePaul Men's Basketball.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Winnipeg should have an afilliate in Regina

Nope...the Pats are staying put.

In other news, I just found out that the Manchester Monarchs will officially be keeping their same logo and colors in the ECHL.

bYhYmxh.png

Winnipeg should have an afilliate in Regina

Nope...the Pats are staying put.

In other news, I just found out that the Manchester Monarchs will officially be keeping their same logo and colors in the ECHL.

Have we heard whether the Admirals are keeping the same look when they move down?

Portland Pirates will continue to exist, and affiliate with the Florida Panthers. So, does that mean it's the Coyotes' turn to partner with San Antonio again?

Portland Pirates will continue to exist, and affiliate with the Florida Panthers. So, does that mean it's the Coyotes' turn to partner with San Antonio again?

Great news for Portland. Definitely makes more sense to at the very least be affiliated with an Eastern team. And yes it would seem to make sense for Phoenix to partner with San Antonio.