2014 NFL Season Anti-Thread

The_Admiral

The Vikings lost so they need him back. As despicable as it is that's the way things work. In the NFL winning supersedes the right thing to do

That's general, football culture in America. From the Ravens/Vikings, to Penn State, and to high school football hotbeds (West Texas), administrators, AD's, commissioners and other people in power of football often overlook ethics and correctiveness in favor of the game (and sometimes, profits).

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this true: supposedly there was a fan at the Vikings game walking around with a tree branch in his hand while wearing a Peterson jersey. Bad as those stupid women wearing Ray Rice jerseys.

It was a woman not a man
Thanks for the clarification. Attention whore or really demented chick.

As a Viking fan I am bordering on indifferent. Ultimately, I can live if he's banned for life but felons do have the right to have jobs and it just so happens that he is super good at a high profile job. That's life.

My question is this - the Vikings thought it was bad enough to sit him yesterday, so what has happened since then that made them change their minds? (other than having their asses handed to them by the Patriots?)

Well the news hit Friday so they likely had that short turnaround and needed a quick decision while he turned himself in. This case could end up being quite different because whooping kids with a switch may be a cultural thing. Not that I want to say it is right, but Peterson likely has grown up where hitting people with a switch is a common thing. Down south and in the African American Community especially. I know a lot of people at work who are saying they do that all the time and that is how they were raised. Charles Barkley even seem to indicate that. So lets be careful with AP. Im sure he deserve a punishment and will get some deal, but this may be crossing into cultural lines.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well the news hit Friday so they likely had that short turnaround and needed a quick decision while he turned himself in. This case could end up being quite different because whooping kids with a switch may be a cultural thing. Not that I want to say it is right, but Peterson likely has grown up where hitting people with a switch is a common thing. Down south and in the African American Community especially. I know a lot of people at work who are saying they do that all the time and that is how they were raised. Charles Barkley even seem to indicate that. So lets be careful with AP. Im sure he deserve a punishment and will get some deal, but this may be crossing into cultural lines.

You're going with the cultural relativism argument? Sorry, but that dawg don't hunt. Slavery and segregation used to be "cultural things", Francis. In the Middle East, there are "cultural things" women endure that would be crimes over here. "It's a cultural thing" is a BS argument. Wooden shoes are a "cultural thing." Beating a kid with a whip fashioned from a tree branch is child abuse. Period.

EDIT: and for the record, switch beatings were part of my upbringing too. You don't see me defending the practice.

BB52Big.jpg

As a Viking fan I am bordering on indifferent. Ultimately, I can live if he's banned for life but felons do have the right to have jobs and it just so happens that he is super good at a high profile job. That's life.

My question is this - the Vikings thought it was bad enough to sit him yesterday, so what has happened since then that made them change their minds? (other than having their asses handed to them by the Patriots?)

I don't think they needed that beatdown to know they are better with AP than without him. I'd say the benching was probably a PR thing that gave them time to decide what to do; they'd probably have played him if not for the Ray Rice cloud. The NFL appears a bit tone deaf nowadays and trust me, I know that the Vikings are not the franchise that is going against that grain.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You're going with the cultural relativism argument? Sorry, but that dawg don't hunt. Slavery and segregation used to be "cultural things", Francis. In the Middle East, there are "cultural things" women endure that would be crimes over here. "It's a cultural thing" is a BS argument. Wooden shoes are a "cultural thing." Beating a kid with a whip fashioned from a tree branch is child abuse. Period.

EDIT: and for the record, switch beatings were part of my upbringing too. You don't see me defending the practice.

When Vick got in trouble, the whole dog fighting was considered a "cultural thing" too. That doesn't make it right for every day society. Anyway, I dropped AP from my fantasy team. My brother in law picked him up and said that if we start to make it personal than most of these guys wouldn't be on any fantasy teams. That may be true but this one really disgusted me. The whole dropping him from my fantasy team may be petty but any points I got with him would feel cheap and undeserved. Besides, I think he won't be around too much this year.

If you are Italian it is the Wooden Spoon btw.

Did you see what Barkley said http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2014/09/14/former-suns-star-charles-barkley-defense-adrian-peterson/15644527/

I am not saying it is right, but this is a rationale defense for AP

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I feel like people are making an excessive leap when it comes to these things. AP went too far...but that doesn't mean that whipping children (with a switch, belt, paddle, whatever) is wrong in all cases. Trust me, there are times and situations where discipline is needed, and a simple reprimand won't cut it. Now, it is the parent's responsibility to make sure that the whipping doesn't go too far and is also accompanied by good, strong, consistent parenting. That is where AP, and a lot of other adults who whip their children, go wrong, they only want to do half the job, and instill discipline and obedience that is purely based off fear. That's wrong, and should be eliminated. But just saying "whipping a child is child abuse" and leaving it at that is a cop-out, and could have unintended negative consequences on the very children we claim to be standing up for. Shoot, I know a kid who's around 3 or 4 and will spit at people in public and basically act in any way he wants, all because he knows his parents won't lay a hand on him in public. And if he's smart enough to realize that now, what happens later on?

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Following up on what I believe is the most important story the league is currently facing...

John Abraham, who has been suffering from memory loss for over a year and suffered a concussion playing football eight days ago, has returned to the Cardinals and may play this Sunday.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/15/arizona-cardinals-john-abraham-concussion-return

This is f***ing disgusting. These are BRAIN INJURIES.

For some reason, the AP pictures don't seem to have gone viral like the Ray Rice video. I was beat as a kid; I don't hit my children. I don't think a little spanking is the worst thing in the world, but I'm not going to do it my kids. I think a lot of people got some taps on the butt as kids, hear AP is in trouble for disciplining his kid, and assume that it's some PC police overreaction. The pictures and the text messages tell a different story, though. The kid looked like he had frickin' tiger stripes on his leg. Peterson whipped a four year-old kid in the scrotum for interfering with a video game. And was basically bragging about it afterwards.

If the Vikings play him on Sunday, it might be more disgusting to me than anything that the NFL did or didn't do with the Ray Rice situation. The Vikings spin about "waiting for the legal process" is absolute and utter crap. Crap crap crap. You know exactly what he did, and it's deplorable. The only question now is what the law will call it. For the Vikings (and the NFL, by their inaction) to pretend like nothing wrong happened if they can't get a jury to convict in Houston... they should be ashamed.

Also, one of the guys on BASS brought up a really good point about Ray Rice... do you think he even knew she was alive right after she hit her head on the railing?

Following up on what I believe is the most important story the league is currently facing...

John Abraham, who has been suffering from memory loss for over a year and suffered a concussion playing football eight days ago, has returned to the Cardinals and may play this Sunday.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/15/arizona-cardinals-john-abraham-concussion-return

This is f***ing disgusting. These are BRAIN INJURIES.

Yeah he probably shouldn't be allowed to play. At a certain point these guys have to be protected from themselves.

The sport is going to have to go through some fundamental changes if it's going to be sustainable. At this point it seems impossible to play the game for a period of time without doing long term damage to your brain.

PvO6ZWJ.png

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Also, one of the guys on BASS brought up a really good point about Ray Rice... do you think he even knew she was alive right after she hit her head on the railing?

his body language suggests that he was not worried about her wellbeing, but more thinking about how to deal with her lifeless body at that point. It's not "oh my god, the love of my life is unconscious. Please wake up. Are you okay?". It's " :censored:. What do I do now? How do I get out of this?"

Then he drags her out of the elevator, encounters another person and tries to play it off like it's normal.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did you see what Barkley said http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2014/09/14/former-suns-star-charles-barkley-defense-adrian-peterson/15644527/

I am not saying it is right, but this is a rationale defense for AP

"I'm from the south and that's how we do things" is a rational defense? People from the south used to use that same logic to justify Jim Crow laws. Guess that was a "rational defense" too, right? :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

his body language suggests that he was not worried about her wellbeing, but more thinking about how to deal with her lifeless body at that point. It's not "oh my god, the love of my life is unconscious. Please wake up. Are you okay?". It's " :censored:. What do I do now? How do I get out of this?"

Then he drags her out of the elevator, encounters another person and tries to play it off like it's normal.

Maybe it's just a "cultural thing." Maybe where Ray Rice is from, it's common practice to step over a woman after you knock her the :censored: out. (The "cultural defense" seems to be working for Adrian Peterson. Maybe it applies across the board. B) )

BB52Big.jpg

AP's now getting investigated for beating his other son. I thought he had only 2 kids, but I guess AP doesn't himself know how many damn kids he's fathered.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived