The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig Leipold is indeed a whiny ass -- let's think back to when he bitched about escalating player salaries mere weeks after dropping money bombs on Suter and Parise -- but 1 and 3 are fair enough. Minnesota should host an outdoor game before visiting one. Also, having the Stars come into town has a distinct insult-to-injury feel: you'd want a game like this to be a celebration of Minnesota hockey, but having the relocated team come into town with its championship won in Dallas does sort of cast a pall on the whole thing.

Of all the things that really suck about the NHL, one of big ones is that the Minnesota franchise isn't a cornerstone of the league. By rights, the North Stars should have been on par with the Flyers in terms of far-reaching fandom and ownership devoted to growing the game (it's not just for hot places!). But of course, it's the goddamn NHL, the Stars were a mess, the Wild are a cornerstone of nothing, and the only thing they're devoted to is mediocrity and dragging everyone else down into it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Of all the things that really suck about the NHL, one of big ones is that the Minnesota franchise isn't a cornerstone of the league. By rights, the North Stars should have been on par with the Flyers in terms of far-reaching fandom and ownership devoted to growing the game (it's not just for hot places!). But of course, it's the goddamn NHL, the Stars were a mess, the Wild are a cornerstone of nothing, and the only thing they're devoted to is mediocrity and dragging everyone else down into it.

Is it because Minneapolis-St.Paul simply isn't the media hub able to reach a lot of fans? It is pretty lame that any midwest game has mandated the Blackhawks play, as if this were 1968 coming out of the Original Six era.

Jets, Preds, Stars, Blues, just aren't marketable enough foes?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The Cities absolutely are a media hub. That's the thing. Minnesota and its culture are not exactly obscure on a national level. It's just that the Wild have been such a big trap-loving turd of a franchise for so long that they've made themselves one hard sell. Hockey in Minnesota is a timeless institution. The Minnesota Wild, on the other hand, are an expansion team that venerates Saku Koivu's brother.

And no, the Jets and Predators are completely unmarketable.

WC2016, I guess I'm fine with it. The fact that the NHL have all but admitted the EuroScraps & U23 teams are pretty lame, by already declaring them a one-off for 2016 not 2020, is a healthy sign.

Alas, until this thing gets out of the Toronto-Montreal-Northeast USA comfort hosting zone, the credibility of it as a true international test (without neutral site) is empty.

Maybe for 2020 they could house one group out west playing in Vancouver-San Jose-Los Angeles, & the other back east playing Montreal-Pittsburgh-Tampa or something to reach more pockets of live fans. East-West would also open up doubleheader tv showings.

The Cities absolutely are a media hub. That's the thing. Minnesota and its culture are not exactly obscure on a national level. It's just that the Wild have been such a big trap-loving turd of a franchise for so long that they've made themselves one hard sell. Hockey in Minnesota is a timeless institution. The Minnesota Wild, on the other hand, are an expansion team that venerates Saku Koivu's brother.

And no, the Jets and Predators are completely unmarketable.

Sounds like Miami football... the U has local talent, the Dolphins has a bunch of castoffs.

@2001mark

Also, the World Cup of Hockey is returning in 2016 to Toronto, with USA, CAN, FIN, SWE, RUS, CZE, EuroScraps, and U-23 North Americans. Bettman says the latter two teams are expected to be for this go-round only, with plans for a 2019 play-in tournament to fill the lower slots in 2020. This seems like it has a real plan this time, more than just "Let's throw some teams together to get more money". And if this means Olympic hockey goes the way of Olympic soccer, all the better.

I was thinking about that the other day...would the WJHC that year be canceled with the Olympic tournament serving as the de facto World Junior tournament? Or would they operate in the normal December/January schedule, with the Olympic tournament filled with adolescent Spengler Cup hacks?

Also: Toronto reportedly getting an outdoor game in 2017 to coincide with the Leafs' centennial. Apparently it would be held at the SkyDome, not the newly-renovated BMO, with the Habs as the opponent.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Also, the World Cup of Hockey is returning in 2016 to Toronto, with USA, CAN, FIN, SWE, RUS, CZE, EuroScraps, and U-23 North Americans. Bettman says the latter two teams are expected to be for this go-round only, with plans for a 2019 play-in tournament to fill the lower slots in 2020. This seems like it has a real plan this time, more than just "Let's throw some teams together to get more money". And if this means Olympic hockey goes the way of Olympic soccer, all the better.

Why nope? The Olympics as a whole need to be taken down a few pegs. We're dealing with some scoundrels of the highest order when we're not wrong to hope that international play will fall under the aegis of Gary Bettman.

I'd be just fine with the World Cup being reserved for the pros and the Olympics going back to amateur-only. That's fine.

I just wonder how the IOC and the major networks will react when the NHL stops sending players to the Olympics. I'm sure hockey is a big draw every four years. The ratings will take a hit.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'd be just fine with the World Cup being reserved for the pros and the Olympics going back to amateur-only. That's fine.

The funny thing is, before the NHL came in, Team USA had basically become an all-star team of minor leaguers not on 2-way deals. The '92 team in Albertville was mainly IHL and AHL guys with some collegians.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Besides, with the Games being in South Korea, the live ratings won't mean much. 7pm games in South Korea would begin at 5am ET.

They'd move them to 10pm local starts if they had to. Sochi flexed hockey starts for N.American audiences. Players wouldn't mind... esp if it's still the players who want so much to go.

@2001mark

Opponents would likely be Ottawa or Montreal if the NHL wants to put together an actually decent game. However, with Montreal hosting the Winter Classic next year, it's unlikely that they'd participate again that soon; and Jim Watson wants Ottawa to host a heritage classic at TD Place sometime in the next few years as well so that could put a dent in any WC bid. Buffalo could be in the mix if they get a top-2 draft pick this year and it pans out that quickly, as I bet the league would be eager to show off it's young talent, but that's basically assuming McDavid/Eichel has a rookie season the likes of Crosby/Ovechkin. Winnipeg could be a good pick as well if young players like Scheifele, Hutchinson, Ehlers, Trouba and Petan as well as the existing core can make the Jets into a contender in the Central or at least close to one by that time; plus they could bring back the old Jets sweaters. Not to mention it would be Canada's 150th as well, so having two Canadian teams shouldn't really be out of the picture.

Either way, a Boston - Montreal WC followed by Toronto - Ottawa/Buffalo/Winnipeg could be the jumpstart that really makes the WC relevant again.

I really hope, other than Boston, that they stay away from the NBC-7 for the next couple of Winter Classics. I'm not sure I could get excited for a Toronto - Pittsburgh/Chicago WC that much, even in the centennial.

I really hope, other than Boston, that they stay away from the NBC-7 for the next couple of Winter Classics. I'm not sure I could get excited for a Toronto - Pittsburgh/Chicago WC that much, even in the centennial.

Funny that a Senators fan doesn't get how money works.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Funny that a Senators fan doesn't get how money works.

rdrr, I understand that it's a big money-grab for the league, and those teams have some of the largest fanbases. So I'm not going to be the guy that says those teams should stay out of the winter classic for a long time. But for one winter classic, the centennial no less, the NHL has a chance to make just one WC that doesn't revolve around which teams can provide the most money, but rather which teams can provide the best hockey.

And I'm just hoping here, I'm not going to go up in arms if they do decide to take the money/popularity route.

Archived