The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Hey, let's all bask in the glow of Mike Smith letting in five goals on 20 shots! Only four years with a $5.5 million cap hit left on that deal, right?

Among goalies with at least 875 minutes (that seems to be the stats dept.'s cutoff), he's third-to-last in sv% with .888. He's behind Backstrom Goalie and Ray Emery, who are at .887 with about half the minutes played. In GAA, he's 44th out of 44 at 3.49, well behind both of Buffalo's goalies. This is fantastic. I never want to hear that Don Maloney is smart ever again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to bed after the 2nd period of the Oilers game, because I was tired and the Oilers had it in the bag. I wake up this morning to a 4-2 loss.

Why must you do this to me, Edmonton?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The Devils had 1 shot on goal in the 2nd period (it came with about 3 seconds left) and 3 in the 3rd period. What an exciting team.

3ogfl7.jpg

At least they won.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Leafs are playing some sub-Buffalo hockey. Really.

They went 1-12 in January, and scored 16 goals in that span. Sixteen. That's 1.23 goals a game over an entire month. That's their worst offensive month ever, even dating back to the days before forward passing was allowed. Five of those goals came in their sole win last month, meaning they averaged less than a goal a game in all of their losses. This might be the worst I've ever seen them play.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Leafs are playing some sub-Buffalo hockey. Really.

They went 1-12 in January, and scored 16 goals in that span. Sixteen. That's 1.23 goals a game over an entire month. That's their worst offensive month ever, even dating back to the days before forward passing was allowed. Five of those goals came in their sole win last month, meaning they averaged less than a goal a game in all of their losses. This might be the worst I've ever seen them play.

The Atlanta Hawks had more wins than the Leafs goals in January. That's sad.

I'd like to ask all of you hockey nuts one question. Do you like the loser point? Frankly, each week, I'm getting more sick of it. I really think the NHL should do away with it. Go strictly with Wins and Losses like basketball and baseball. Why reward a team for losing in overtime? Pretty dumb. You lose, you lose, plain and simple.

I am glad you brought this up because this is a topic that we have never discussed on this board.

Many people's rebuttal to your point would be that they don't get a point for losing, they get a point for playing 60 minutes and not losing. Many people are stupid people.

Oh hey, it is February, isn't it?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd like to ask all of you hockey nuts one question. Do you like the loser point? Frankly, each week, I'm getting more sick of it. I really think the NHL should do away with it. Go strictly with Wins and Losses like basketball and baseball. Why reward a team for losing in overtime? Pretty dumb. You lose, you lose, plain and simple.

The loser point was put in to get teams to actually try in overtime rather than locking things down for the tie. Now, there are no more ties. The loser point has outlived its usefulness. If they get rid of the shootout, then I think the loser point is a necessary evil.

Down from 92% to 59% in a week. They beat the Blackhawks three out of three for this?!

January 15th:

Jets win 2-1, SportsClubStats has them at 82.5% for making the playoffs. Unless they do that Thrashers thing where they rattle off seven untimely losses in the home stretch, they're gonna make the playoffs.

WELP

The loser point was put in to get teams to actually try in overtime rather than locking things down for the tie. Now, there are no more ties. The loser point has outlived its usefulness. If they get rid of the shootout, then I think the loser point is a necessary evil.

The loser point was put in, and exists, to juice the standings and convince fans of more teams that they have a shot at the playoffs. It works through intentionally bad math.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I hope the Jets make the playoffs, besides having the best logo of all the Canadian teams the fans in the Peg deserve it

I hope they make the playoffs too but the best logo of the Canadian Teams? It barely qualifies as a clip art.

On another note, so long playoffs for the defending champs, sigh.

Archived