The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kings and Blackhawks will both flip the switch eventually. They're just slackers. The Jets, I can't say for certain.

Will they though? The Blackhawks are fine. They're solidly in the middle of the pack and turn in quality performances more often than not.

The Kings though, idk. They're looking less and less likely to flip the switch like they have. I thought that Blackhawks game was going to be a springboard for them, but that hasn't been the case. They've been terrrrrrrrrible on the road, shown again tonight being shutout in Washington. 5-11-6 with a -14 GD on the road with 19 of their final 32 games on the road. And now, they're in the jam of Colorado, Minnesota, Dallas with less wins and ROW than all three. It's not panic button time or anything, but I don't think this is the same Kings team that we've become accustomed to.

---

Also, Ducks are now 23-0-6 in one-goal games. (For reference, 1-3 in two-goal games and 9-9 in 3+ goal games.) There's positive ways to look at that and negative ways to look at that. I'll just leave the record there for now.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

If they done away with points it would be a great day for hockey fans. Continuous OT to decide a winner. Guarantee the players would play harder to avoid OT.

I don't think continuous OT in the regular season is realistic. Nobody wants to watch a 4-OT game on a Tuesday in the regular season. Sporting events go late enough in general and you'd have fans bolting after regulation / OT #1.

Regarding "Loser points" I am OK with a loser point for losing the shootout. Two points to the winner and none to the loser makes sense...unless it's a skills competition, which this is.

If you are going to have a shootout, I'd like to close the points gap because a shootout win is one of the lamest wins in sports. If you are not going to have a shootout, then you have to allow the possibility of ties (for the aforementioned reasons regarding regular season OT). Personally, I think our obsession with "NO TIES!" is goofy and the NHL should accept them in the regular season. By the time you get to a shootout, both teams have skated to the same score over 65 minutes...the idea that winning the shootout makes one team's performance better and worthy of more points is silly. The 2002 MLB All-Star Game seems to have led us to go overboard on tie aversion.

I am just old enough to remember the NHL with no OT. My first North Stars game was a 60-minute tie vs. the Capitals. If a winner had been allowed to materialize, perhaps I'd be more successful now. But probably not. I'll take the initial OT rule: 5-minute OT; winner gets 2 points or 1 point apiece for ties.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Maybe we need to change the risk-averse hockey culture where the only thing that ever matters is never making mistakes. When everyone's too scared to make a mistake, of course games are going to end in ties because everyone's just cycling and dump-and-chasing their way to safety. The only thing that's worse than discouraging all creativity until reaching a series of alternating penalty shots is discouraging the series of alternating penalty shots. Good luck fixing it, though; it's just another one of those Crappy Hockey Things.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe we need to change the risk-averse hockey culture where the only thing that ever matters is never making mistakes. When everyone's too scared to make a mistake, of course games are going to end in ties because everyone's just cycling and dump-and-chasing their way to safety. The only thing that's worse than discouraging all creativity until reaching a series of alternating penalty shots is discouraging the series of alternating penalty shots. Good luck fixing it, though; it's just another one of those Crappy Hockey Things.

I may not be a member of the counsel, but I believe this is PotD material.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I may not be a member of the counsel, but I believe this is PotD material.
Not even close.

Sweet! Relocate the Panthers to Quebec and add Seattle and Milwaukee. Really hope Las Vegas DOES NOT get a team.

That situation still leaves Phoenix, and makes the primary relocation target Portland.

If that means an NHL with QC, Milwaukee, Seattle and Portland and sans Phoenix and Miami, I'm pretty happy with it

I'd put Indy up there too as a option if we need a East team. Portland is too West....

Sweet! Relocate the Panthers to Quebec and add Seattle and Milwaukee. Really hope Las Vegas DOES NOT get a team.

That situation still leaves Phoenix, and makes the primary relocation target Portland.

If that means an NHL with QC, Milwaukee, Seattle and Portland and sans Phoenix and Miami, I'm pretty happy with it

I'd put Indy up there too as a option if we need a East team. Portland is too West....

Except with Florida moving to Quebec, Arizona moving to Portland, and Milwaukee and Seattle coming in as expansion teams; that leaves an even 16 teams in each conference.

Now under this system, Carolina might be the new relocation favourite (but honestly there's always going to be one)

Except with Florida moving to Quebec, Arizona moving to Portland, and Milwaukee and Seattle coming in as expansion teams; that leaves an even 16 teams in each conference.

Now under this system, Carolina might be the new relocation favourite (but honestly there's always going to be one)

Good point.

IIRC Conseco's not really set up all that well for hockey.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived