The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Sweet! Relocate the Panthers to Quebec and add Seattle and Milwaukee. Really hope Las Vegas DOES NOT get a team.

That situation still leaves Phoenix, and makes the primary relocation target Portland.
If that means an NHL with QC, Milwaukee, Seattle and Portland and sans Phoenix and Miami, I'm pretty happy with it
I'd put Indy up there too as a option if we need a East team. Portland is too West....

IIRC Conseco's not really set up all that well for hockey.

It isn't.

And the Pacers control the master lease and they have claimed they have lost $$$ for 9 of the last 10 years so they keep the subsidy approved last April

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kings and Blackhawks will both flip the switch eventually. They're just slackers. The Jets, I can't say for certain.

Will they though? The Blackhawks are fine. They're solidly in the middle of the pack and turn in quality performances more often than not.

The Kings though, idk. They're looking less and less likely to flip the switch like they have. I thought that Blackhawks game was going to be a springboard for them, but that hasn't been the case. They've been terrrrrrrrrible on the road, shown again tonight being shutout in Washington. 5-11-6 with a -14 GD on the road with 19 of their final 32 games on the road. And now, they're in the jam of Colorado, Minnesota, Dallas with less wins and ROW than all three. It's not panic button time or anything, but I don't think this is the same Kings team that we've become accustomed to.

---

Also, Ducks are now 23-0-6 in one-goal games. (For reference, 1-3 in two-goal games and 9-9 in 3+ goal games.) There's positive ways to look at that and negative ways to look at that. I'll just leave the record there for now.

It's not the same team. The loss of Voynov has really hurt the team. You loose a top 4 defenseman and it's going to hurt. Throw in the loss of Willie Mitchell via free agency and you lost your #3 and #4 defensemen and it's going to hurt. Now you have 2 quality defensemen in Regher and Doughty, a defenseman who can be a top-tier defenseman in Muzzin, and then a drop off. Martinez is a 4 or 5 on the depth chart, Greene is #6 and then it's a hope and a prayer. That's the problem, the defense is lacking, which means the forwards can't have an off night offensively or defensively. Right now Lombardi's looking for a defenseman, and if he could get two, that'd be great. They are in limbo right now. If they aren't within a couple points of the playoffs after the Stadium Series, I think Lombardi will just dump a good majority of the guys who are at the end of their contracts (Williams, Stoll, maybe Regher) and start the reload with younger players.

The Kings and Blackhawks will both flip the switch eventually. They're just slackers. The Jets, I can't say for certain.

Will they though? The Blackhawks are fine. They're solidly in the middle of the pack and turn in quality performances more often than not.

The Kings though, idk. They're looking less and less likely to flip the switch like they have. I thought that Blackhawks game was going to be a springboard for them, but that hasn't been the case. They've been terrrrrrrrrible on the road, shown again tonight being shutout in Washington. 5-11-6 with a -14 GD on the road with 19 of their final 32 games on the road. And now, they're in the jam of Colorado, Minnesota, Dallas with less wins and ROW than all three. It's not panic button time or anything, but I don't think this is the same Kings team that we've become accustomed to.

---

Also, Ducks are now 23-0-6 in one-goal games. (For reference, 1-3 in two-goal games and 9-9 in 3+ goal games.) There's positive ways to look at that and negative ways to look at that. I'll just leave the record there for now.

It's not the same team. The loss of Voynov has really hurt the team. You loose a top 4 defenseman and it's going to hurt. Throw in the loss of Willie Mitchell via free agency and you lost your #3 and #4 defensemen and it's going to hurt. Now you have 2 quality defensemen in Regher and Doughty, a defenseman who can be a top-tier defenseman in Muzzin, and then a drop off. Martinez is a 4 or 5 on the depth chart, Greene is #6 and then it's a hope and a prayer. That's the problem, the defense is lacking, which means the forwards can't have an off night offensively or defensively. Right now Lombardi's looking for a defenseman, and if he could get two, that'd be great. They are in limbo right now. If they aren't within a couple points of the playoffs after the Stadium Series, I think Lombardi will just dump a good majority of the guys who are at the end of their contracts (Williams, Stoll, maybe Regher) and start the reload with younger players.

And combine this with the loss of Pearson potentially for the rest of the year and Richards' regression and all-expenses-paid trip to New Hampshire. Unless Nick Shore catches fire and McNabb really comes into his own in a hurry, it's going to take some divine intervention.

VmWIn6B.png

Any reason to think that the Kings could be suffering to fatigue from the last three seasons?

Their last three seasons have ended with two Cup victories (including playing 26 postseason games and 108 games total last season) and a conference championship appearance. And most of these games over the last three seasons have been with the same roster, save a couple players.

Any reason to think that the Kings could be suffering to fatigue from the last three seasons?

Their last three seasons have ended with two Cup victories (including playing 26 postseason games and 108 games total last season) and a conference championship appearance. And most of these games over the last three seasons have been with the same roster, save a couple players.

Could be, but I doubt it. You take off the second pair of defensemen off any team and they are going to suffer. You just don't go from a plus 32 in goals against to a -2 because of a fatigue. You have players being asked to do more than they are capable of. Even Drew Doughty is doing more than he should. He should not be playing 31-32 minutes a game. He should be about 27-28 and this is because the Greene, McNabb, McBain aren't of the caliber that Voynov and Mitchell were. The defensemen are being exposed.

I always thought that idea was bogus. How did the Habs, Isles, and Oilers dynasties handle it? Yes the regular season was bit shorter back in the 70s and 80s, but it wasn't that much shorter.

The problems with the Kings stem from the loss of a few players, and the decline of a few others, as previously mentioned.

Sweet! Relocate the Panthers to Quebec and add Seattle and Milwaukee. Really hope Las Vegas DOES NOT get a team.

That situation still leaves Phoenix, and makes the primary relocation target Portland.

If that means an NHL with QC, Milwaukee, Seattle and Portland and sans Phoenix and Miami, I'm pretty happy with it

I'd put Indy up there too as a option if we need a East team. Portland is too West....

I'm not THAT familiar with Indianapolis, but I don't see them as much of a candidate. The only real hockey tradition in the state of Indiana is Notre Dame, and that's well within the Chicago sphere of influence. At least Milwaukee, Seattle and Portland have all continuously supported their current hockey teams since the 1970s.

BIRNG BACK GARY THORNE TO YELL AND SCREAM AND GET PEOPLE'S NAMES WRONG

I used to hate him for those exact reasons but he beats Doc Emrick, who sounds like he's having a stroke everytime there is a shot on goal.

I don't know if Gary Thorne has enough energy anymore to call hockey games on a full time basis. Doc, on the other hand, would have an orgasm every time the puck gets dumped. If I rode any money into such decision, I'd simply upgrade Dave Strater to the top broadcasting team; he does play-by-play well without all the climaxing Doc does occasionally.

By the way, anyone know why Strater wasn't available during last year's West Finals (with Kenny Albert taking his place)?

BIRNG BACK GARY THORNE TO YELL AND SCREAM AND GET PEOPLE'S NAMES WRONG

I used to hate him for those exact reasons but he beats Doc Emrick, who sounds like he's having a stroke everytime there is a shot on goal.
I don't know if Gary Thorne has enough energy anymore to call hockey games on a full time basis. Doc, on the other hand, would have an orgasm every time the puck gets dumped. If I rode any money into such decision, I'd simply upgrade Dave Strater to the top broadcasting team; he does play-by-play well without all the climaxing Doc does occasionally.

By the way, anyone know why Strater wasn't available during last year's West Finals (with Kenny Albert taking his place)?

Strader was available. NBC decided to use Albert over him.

Interesting scheduling situation for the Lightning this month; they don't play another Eastern Conference team during February. Lockout season notwithstanding, I've never seen a team go an entire month playing strictly non-conference opponents.

The defending champs are in Florida. Can they fill the house? Not even close.

No, but they can beat the defending champs. Five points out from Boston with a game in hand. Cats are hanging around.

---

Ducks take over the top spot, for the moment, with a great effort in Nashville. I say for the moment, because they're two points clear of Nashville and St. Louis, but both with a game in hand. Not that any of that actually matters.

What does matter is a dominant effort against another good team, for once. And with Getzlaf out of the lineup.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The defending champs are in Florida. Can they fill the house? Not even close.

Why would anyone show up to watch this Kings team? I'm serious! They are in serious postion of falling out of the playoffs very soon if they don't run off a bunch of wins. A Vancouver win tonight and they are 7 points out of a playoff spot... and they have to jump 4 teams to get into the playoffs. If they fall to 10 point out, they won't make the playoffs.

Archived