The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIght. They have to call them something else. (And no, not the Jr. Sharks)

I propose San Jose Seals.

This would be probably be the top choice, though if they wanted a mascot, would the San Francisco Giants let the SJ AHL team rent Lou Seal? IF they want to go a little outside the box, but stay in the box, they should go with San Jose Shivers, along with being "ice-theme-ready".

Other than Shivers or Seals:

- Gladiators

- Stampede

- Surge (As is powerful upward movement such as waves of tide, not the soft drink :) )

Edit: Thought of another nickname: Barracudas. San Jose Barracudas or Bay Area Barracudas.

How does an goalie even get into the All Star game with a 2.80 GAA and a .915 S% anyway? Even Ondrej Pavelec has looked more like an all star this year, and goalies playing really well this season like Holtby and Lundqvist got snubbed behind him as well.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

How does a goalie even get into the All Star game with a 2.80 GAA and a .915 S% anyway? Even Ondrej Pavelec has looked more like an all star this year, and goalies playing really well this season like Holtby and Lundqvist got snubbed behind him as well.

Halak? As an Isles fan, I think it's because he's finally brought stability to a position we've had issues at over the past few years. (He has a 2.40 GAA, by the way, not 2.80.)

Also, Winnipeg is starting to look like they could make some noise in the playoffs.

53Ocz8U.png

GAA is such a useless stat in modern times, anyway. Take last year for instance - Brian Elliott had a GAA of 1.96, and Jonathan Bernier was a 2.69. If anyone thinks Elliott was, or is, the better goaltender of the two, then they are nuts.

It's had to be several years now since I last looked at GAA in any kind of meaningful way.

spacer.png

GAA is such a useless stat in modern times, anyway. Take last year for instance - Brian Elliott had a GAA of 1.96, and Jonathan Bernier was a 2.69. If anyone thinks Elliott was, or is, the better goaltender of the two, then they are nuts.

It's had to be several years now since I last looked at GAA in any kind of meaningful way.

I know that, it's pretty much the +/- for goalies, but I don't know how a goalie can put up such unspectacular numbers on such an unspectacular (all injuries aside) team and still be considered on of the top 6 goalies in the league (by the league).

Goalies like Holtby, Anderson, and Miller have all done more IMO to help their team, and are putting up at least near all star numbers.

RIght. They have to call them something else. (And no, not the Jr. Sharks)

I propose San Jose Seals.

This would be probably be the top choice, though if they wanted a mascot, would the San Francisco Giants let the SJ AHL team rent Lou Seal? IF they want to go a little outside the box, but stay in the box, they should go with San Jose Shivers, along with being "ice-theme-ready".

Other than Shivers or Seals:

- Gladiators

- Stampede

- Surge (As is powerful upward movement such as waves of tide, not the soft drink :) )

Edit: Thought of another nickname: Barracudas. San Jose Barracudas or Bay Area Barracudas.

As I noted in the "minor league shakeup" thread, the AHL club will probably not only be stuck with some variant of Sharks, but have to adopt the NHL team's post-Edge logo as well, simply due to logistical considerations: Otherwise, they'd have to melt/drain the rink, repaint the center-ice logo, then flood/freeze the rink again on every changeover between the NHL and AHL teams.

My prediction: The San Jose Tiburones (the Spanish word for "Sharks").

CCSLC signature.png

Why would they have to do all that ice stuff? They'd just play on the Sharks' ice without a second thought. The Calgary Hitmen play on the Flames' ice without fussing with it.

Call them Sharks2, or Sharks B, or "the Sharks are spoiled tenderfoot babies who can't deal with having their prospects play in a league with low travel and think they're entitled to screw with everyone else's expenses and convenience."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How does a goalie even get into the All Star game with a 2.80 GAA and a .915 S% anyway? Even Ondrej Pavelec has looked more like an all star this year, and goalies playing really well this season like Holtby and Lundqvist got snubbed behind him as well.

Halak? As an Isles fan, I think it's because he's finally brought stability to a position we've had issues at over the past few years. (He has a 2.40 GAA, by the way, not 2.80.)

Also, Winnipeg is starting to look like they could make some noise in the playoffs.

Halak probably should be in the ASG, I was talking about Bobrovsky

Halak probably should be in the ASG, I was talking about Bobrovsky
Yeah, but he's got the whole "hometown goalie" thing. I guess it doesn't matter now that he's hurt.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Final Rosters for the 2015 All Star Game and Skills competition:

Team Toews

Head Coach: Peter Laviolette and his staff

Forwards: Toews (Captain), Getzlaf (A), Nash (A), Seguin, Voracek, Tavares, Tarasenko, Bergeron, Elias, Johnson, Forsberg, Gaudreau, Hoffman

D-Men: Weber, Seabrook, Ekblad, Suter, Giordano, Faulk

Goalies: Crawford, Luongo, Halak

Team Foligno

Head Coach: Daryl Sutter and his staff.

Forwards: Foligno (Captain), Kane (A), Johansen (Picked First), Kopitar, Stamkos, Kessel, Giroux, Ryan, Vrbata, Girgensons, Ovechkin, Nugent-Hopkins, Drouin, Sekac

D-Men: Doughty (A), Keith, Byfuglien, Burns, Shattenkirk, Edman-Larsson

Goalies: Price, Fleury, Elliott

Kessel, drafted by team Toews and Seguin, drafted by Team Foligno were traded for each other (again...) :)

So they get to make one trade in this draft and Foligno and Toews took that as an opportunity to make a joke. I mean this sincerely, well done guys.

The All-Star game is fun.

I also like how they picked Ovechkin second last. I agree, the ASG is fun.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Official release on next years outdoor games:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=750092&cmpid=nhl-twt

The Winter Classic will feature the Canadiens versus the Bruins at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA on New Years Day.

The first Stadium Series game will feature the Blackhawks versus the Wild at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on February 21.

The second Stadium Series game will feature the Red Wings and Avalanche at Coors Field in Denver on February 27.

Also, the World Cup of Hockey is returning in 2016 to Toronto, with USA, CAN, FIN, SWE, RUS, CZE, EuroScraps, and U-23 North Americans. Bettman says the latter two teams are expected to be for this go-round only, with plans for a 2019 play-in tournament to fill the lower slots in 2020. This seems like it has a real plan this time, more than just "Let's throw some teams together to get more money". And if this means Olympic hockey goes the way of Olympic soccer, all the better.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, they fill stadiums. And this time, you can thank whiny-ass Wild owner Craig Leipold, who, according to a piece in the Star-Tribune:

1) refused to let the Wild play an outdoor game on the road

2) refused to host a Stadium Series game because he wanted the Winter Classic

3) relented, but threw another fit when the NHL wanted Dallas as the opponent

4) specifically demanded the Blackhawks as the visiting team.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived