New Los Angeles MLS Team Awarded

bartodell

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest rivalry the Galaxy has is with the Earthquakes (SoCal vs. Bay Area); the 1st incarnation ended when San Jose 1.0 relocated to Houston, while the 2nd with San Jose 2.0 is now tame (though there are billboards near the HDC for their new stadium).

Their other current rivals (Sounders, RSL) are only on-the-field and in postseason-time; it's not as bad blooded and fierce as the one against the Earthquakes.

One reason why the idea of a local derby flopped with Chivas USA is that the derby didn't focus against the Galaxy, as more it was against teams who were hated rivals of the original Chivas squad of Mexico (America, Toluca, Pachuca). But even then, those rival fans didn't come to the derby games.

I drive by the one on the westbound 91 on my way home from work. I don't get the point of them, quite frankly.

(They billboard is literally at the exit to get to the Stubhub Center and has a rendering of the new stadium saying "341 miles [or however many it is] to the epicenter of soccer.")

VmWIn6B.png

Hope that this second LA team uses different colors than the black and red and hint-of-gold....those are the same colors Atlanta is going with. (At least, assuming they will...since my scarf has those three colors.)

I think there's room enough, if they use them differently. I'd be more concerned about looking too much like your conference rival, if you're really concerned about color overlap.

756px-D.C._United_logo.svg.png

"black and red and hint-of-gold"

Hope that this second LA team uses different colors than the black and red and hint-of-gold....those are the same colors Atlanta is going with. (At least, assuming they will...since my scarf has those three colors.)

I think there's room enough, if they use them differently. I'd be more concerned about looking too much like your conference rival, if you're really concerned about color overlap.

DC United doesn't have any gold at all in their jerseys so Atlanta should be fine.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

756px-D.C._United_logo.svg.png

I think there's going to be enough color separation between Atlanta and DC.

DC uses black as their primary color, right? Looks like red will be Atlanta's primary color, and a darker shade of red than what DC uses. After looking at my scarf this morning, it might be that gold is the secondary color and black being the hint-of color. The website for the Atlanta MLS team says that the colors will be the same as the Falcons (gold aside), but the red from the scarf is a good bit darker than the red on the Falcons jersey.

I agree, Gothamite. Take a look at the BPL. There are so many predominantly red and white teams. 2 teams out of 21 with red and black is okay to me.

Just looking at the league as it stands now (subtract Chivas from this image), you've got a lot of diversity, but the league leans toward blue.

NewMLSlogo_team%2Bversions.jpg

Black and red is only used by one team. Plenty of room for both 2017 clubs to take the color scheme and make it their own.

I'd say that's an unfair statement to say the league "leans towards blue."

Chicago, Dallas, LA Galaxy, RBNY, Real Salt Lake, and Vancouver all don't wear blue home shirts.

Basic home shirt color breakdown...

Blue - 6*

Red - 5

White - 3

Green - 2

Black - 1

Purple - 1

Orange - 1

Yellow - 1

*Presuming NYCFC goes with a blue home shirt of some color.

If LAFC would go black with red, that'd be fine in my book — especially since DCU is on the other coast.

Hell, Milan-style stripes would be my preferred option for one of the teams. MLS needs stripes, man.

6fQjS3M.png

Indeed - FC Dallas is the only striped team now, yeah?

I could see a league where DC United continues to wear all black, Atlanta comes in with an all-red look, and LAFC splits the baby with red over black or vice versa. You could substitute white anywhere, and still end up with three distinct looks.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Chicago, Dallas, LA Galaxy, RBNY, Real Salt Lake, and Vancouver all don't wear blue home shirts.

Blue - 6*

Red - 5

White - 3

Green - 2

Black - 1

Purple - 1

Orange - 1

Yellow - 1

Chicago has plenty of blue in their shirts, even the home one (on the left)

FORMATTED_All2_0.jpg

And both the Galaxy and the Whitecaps have significant blue trim on those white shirts, not to mention all-blue change shirts.

FORMATTED_ALL3.jpg

FORMATTED_All2_6.jpg

So that's nine clubs with blue as a significant part of their identity. Out of 20. I think "leans towards blue" is pretty fair.

Blue - 6*

Red - 5

White - 3

Green - 2

Black - 1

Purple - 1

Orange - 1

Yellow - 1

If LAFC would go black with red, that'd be fine in my book — especially since DCU is on the other coast.

Hell, Milan-style stripes would be my preferred option for one of the teams. MLS needs stripes, man.

This is true.

No one complains about San Jose & Montreal both wearing blue and black so it should be fine for LAFC & DC United to both have red & black.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Blue - 6*

Red - 5

White - 3

Green - 2

Black - 1

Purple - 1

Orange - 1

Yellow - 1

Chicago has plenty of blue in their shirts, even the home one (on the left)

And both the Galaxy and the Whitecaps have significant blue trim on those white shirts, not to mention all-blue change shirts.

So that's nine clubs with blue as a significant part of their identity. Out of 20. I think "leans towards blue" is pretty fair.

I guess if you want to, sure? I could argue that the league "leans towards red" then by adding the Red Bulls, Revs, and DCU to bring it to eight "red" teams using the same logic.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived