Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

What if the 1993 Cowboys lose the season finale to the Giants?

They'd have been relegated to a Wild Card game against the Vikings, Emmitt doesn't have a week to rest his separated shoulder.

While they probably still win that game (They beat the Vikes AT the Metrodome earlier that year, and they would have had to go on the road against NYG/SF, they were talented enough to maybe pull a 1980 Raiders and go all the way as a WC?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if the 1993 Cowboys lose the season finale to the Giants?

They'd have been relegated to a Wild Card game against the Vikings, Emmitt doesn't have a week to rest his separated shoulder.

While they probably still win that game (They beat the Vikes AT the Metrodome earlier that year, and they would have had to go on the road against NYG/SF, they were talented enough to maybe pull a 1980 Raiders and go all the way as a WC?

Maybe, although if they have to go to SF again for a playoff game, there may have been a good chance that they would lose it, especially because Emmitt wouldn't have had an extra week to rest after his injury.

Then, we end up seeing a 49ers@Giants NFC Title Game, and the Niners probably win on the road, albeit in a closer game than their Divisional Playoff game was.

This might be odd, but what if the Bills were in the AFC North instead of the AFC East when the NFL added the Texans in 2002 (Ralph Wilson wanted the Bills in the AFC East so they can play the Dolphins every year while the NFL wanted them in the AFC North)?

Here is what my question came from: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-Bills-Dolphins-rivalry/cb743f03-cbad-4559-ace9-24b02927e96d

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

On 12/28/2014 at 2:29 PM, Raysfan12 said:

This might be odd, but what if the Bills were in the AFC North instead of the AFC East when the NFL added the Texans in 2002 (Ralph Wilson wanted the Bills in the AFC East so they can play the Dolphins every year while the NFL wanted them in the AFC North)?

Here is what my question came from: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-Bills-Dolphins-rivalry/cb743f03-cbad-4559-ace9-24b02927e96d

The Ravens being in the AFC North all those years instead of Buffalo would have been good. It would have made it harder on NE.

If they put the Bills in the North, I can see the Ravens going in the East, and that would have made it a little tougher on New England the last 12 years, which would have been good.

That was the deal, IIRC.

If they put the Bills in the North, I can see the Ravens going in the East, and that would have made it a little tougher on New England the last 12 years, which would have been good.

That was the deal, IIRC.

Thanks for answering my question.

In a book about Penn State sports history (I think that it was one of those book of lists or something), there was a section about points of time where their men's hoops program could have become consistent winners, but failed.

Their first point had to do with Bobby Knight. Allegedly, he wanted to come to Happy Valley in 1968 to be their new men's hoop coach, but he wanted too much money or something, and they turned to John Bach of Fordham instead.

Imagine if they get Knight, and JoePa leaves in the early 70's to coach the Pats or Pack (in 71, he almost did). Is Penn State a more balanced school with regard to hoops and football, or does football still become the overwhelming king?

Similarly John Wooden almost came to Minnesota and there is a weird story about not being able to get in touch (because of a snowstorm or something) so he took the UCLA job.

What if...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Similarly John Wooden almost came to Minnesota and there is a weird story about not being able to get in touch (because of a snowstorm or something) so he took the UCLA job.

What if...

Minnesota would've been the most dominant basketball program in NCAA History.

What if...

Minnesota would have been a good program with Wooden, but I don't see them being the dynasty program like Wooden had in UCLA.

I don't see John getting Lew Alcindor (he would have went to St. Johns) or Bill Walton in Minnesota. Also, he wouldn't have had the benefit of Sam Gilbert's under the table payments.

What if...

Minnesota would have been a good program with Wooden, but I don't see them being the dynasty program like Wooden had in UCLA.

I don't see John getting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (he would have went to St. Johns) or Bill Walton in Minnesota. Also, he wouldn't have had the benefit of Sam Gilbert's under the table payments.

Sarcastically-ftfy (even though Lew didn't change his name until 1971) :P.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

What if...

I don't see John getting Lew Alcindor (he would have went to St. Johns) or Bill Walton in Minnesota. Also, he wouldn't have had the benefit of Sam Gilbert's under the table payments.

He also would have had a tougher time reaching the Final Four with (1) only bid per conference while playing in the Big Ten and (2) potentially stronger regional fields in the Mideast in the days when the NCAA did more to keep teams in their own regions (i.e., the West consisted of actual teams from the West)*.

* -- Examples --

1967 West Regional -- UCLA, Texas Western, Seattle, Pacific, Wyoming

1968 West Regional -- UCLA, New Mexico State, Weber State, Santa Clara, New Mexico

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 12/30/2014 at 9:21 AM, leopard88 said:
On 12/29/2014 at 6:59 PM, DnBronc said:
On 12/29/2014 at 5:25 PM, Raysfan12 said:
On 12/29/2014 at 5:23 PM, OnWis97 said:

What if...

He also would have had a tougher time reaching the Final Four with (1) only bid per conference while playing in the Big Ten and (2) potentially stronger regional fields in the Mideast in the days when the NCAA did more to keep teams in their own regions (i.e., the West consisted of actual teams from the West)*.

* -- Examples --

1967 West Regional -- UCLA, Texas Western, Seattle, Pacific, Wyoming

1968 West Regional -- UCLA, New Mexico State, Weber State, Santa Clara, New Mexico

UCLA usually had a cakewalk to the Final Four. If it was the way it was in the 80's, Maryland may have been sent out west in 1974 when they lost to N.C. State in the ACC Final. Same thing with South Carolina in 1970 when they also lost to N.C. State (I think that they were #1 that year at some point). However, when those teams lost a conference tourney, they were out of the NCAA's back then.

Also, they usually didn't have to play great teams once they got to the Final Four. The 69 Drake team was underrated, but Houston was just Elvin Hayes, and other teams they played like Dayton and Purdue were severely out-classed. They also missed having to play St. Bonaventure in 1970, Providence in 1973, and Indiana in 1975 because of injuries to key players. And, in 74, if the David Thompson injury against Pitt would have been worse, it would have happened again.

What if the 2000 Lions win in week 17 against the Bears and make the playoffs?

They would have gotten a decent, but not great NFC West champ in New Orleans w/Aaron Brooks (whom they beat in week 1 with Jeff Blake).

Maybe if they win, they get an NFC Divisional playoff against a Giants team they had beaten in November? And maybe we get a Lions vs. Eagles/Vikings NFC-CG?

If anything, maybe we don't get Millen/Mornhinweg and the decade of hell that followed? Hell, if they make the playoffs, that alone probably guarantees Gary Moeller another year?

And remember, most of the roster from 2000 was there in 2001- Mornhinweg was THAT big of an issue.

If Detroit doesn't overhaul the front office, perhaps Matt Millen decides to stay in broadcasting and he doesn't become a football punchline.

I found out something interesting on the message board below:

http://csnbbs.com/post-9577169.html

It is from a Memphis Tiger message board, and it is dealing with Memphis's failed flirtations with the NFL.

One person claimed that the league was going to award expansion franchises to Memphis and Phoenix (the group that Bart Starr was involved with that was going to be called the Firebirds) by January of 1988 had the 1987 player's strike not happened.

-What if Peyton Manning declared for NFL Draft after his junior year and was drafted by the Jets first overall.

Him and Parcells could have been a pretty good partnership. I think that they get to the SB by Peyton's third year, and Bill stays a few years longer than he did in OTL.

Also, the Pats, Belichick, and Brady aren't in a division with teams that are playing musical QB's for 14 years.

My guess is Belicheck doesnt go to NE if Manning was the Jets QB, and in fact stays in NY and becomes head coach once Parcells retired.

Man, as a Jets fan its :censored: like this thwt keeps me awake at night.

-What if Peyton Manning declared for NFL Draft after his junior year and was drafted by the Jets first overall.

Him and Parcells could have been a pretty good partnership. I think that they get to the SB by Peyton's third year, and Bill stays a few years longer than he did in OTL.

Also, the Pats, Belichick, and Brady aren't in a division with teams that are playing musical QB's for 14 years.

My guess is Belicheck doesnt go to NE if Manning was the Jets QB, and in fact stays in NY and becomes head coach once Parcells retired.

Man, as a Jets fan its :censored: like this thwt keeps me awake at night.

It's possible, but if Bill is the HC of the Jets for several more years (like until 03 or 04), I can see Belichick getting sick of being his assistant by 00 or 01. Also, Robert Kraft wanted to hire Belichick in 97 after Parcells left, but didn't for some reason. I think they planned on doing a partnership eventually.

What if George Argyros had gotten his way in 1987 and drafted Mike Harkey with the #1 overall pick, leaving Ken Griffey Jr. available for the Pirates to pick at #2?

Wow, really? Never heard that. If Junior is drafted by the Buccos, that means they probably win a ring or two from 1990-92. I don't think he stays too long there, however. Maybe he ends up in Atlanta or with the Yankees or something by 1994 or 95.

Archived