Our 2016 NASCAR hall of fame class...

Terry Labonte

Bruton Smith

Curtis Turner

Jerry Cook

Bobby Issac

Sadly, BP is overlooked again. Maybe next year.

No idea who Jerry Cook was. Good for including the best drivers from other divisions though.

The rest is a solid class that spans NASCAR history. Still waiting on Ricky Rudd!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rest is a solid class that spans NASCAR history. Still waiting on Ricky Rudd!

As much as I'd love to see it, being a huge Rudd fan growing up; I don't think he'll get in.

Take away his Iron Man Streak, his win streak and his 1997 Brickyard 400 win and he has nothing. No big wins (outside of the '97 Brickyard 400) and no Championships, things that are really crucial in HOF voting it seems.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Terry Labonte

Bruton Smith

Curtis Turner

Jerry Cook

Bobby Issac

No idea who Jerry Cook was. Good for including the best drivers from other divisions though.

Growing up in upstate NY, I knew exactly who Richie Evans and Jerry Cook were/are.

But will Jeff run Eldora in 2016?

And will Ray Evernham be his crew chief?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Terry Labonte

Bruton Smith

Curtis Turner

Jerry Cook

Bobby Issac

Growing up in upstate NY, I knew exactly who Richie Evans and Jerry Cook were/are.

Evans, I'd heard of. Asphalt modified racing is very small in the South, especially compared to places like Upstate NY. But I like the fact that the NASCAR HOF doesn't ignore anything that isn't Sprint Cup.

As much as I'd love to see it, being a huge Rudd fan growing up; I don't think he'll get in.

Take away his Iron Man Streak, his win streak and his 1997 Brickyard 400 win and he has nothing. No big wins (outside of the '97 Brickyard 400) and no Championships, things that are really crucial in HOF voting it seems.

I think he's got to get in.

After the 2016 inductees, the retired drivers with the most all-time wins that aren't in the hall will be:

92 - Jeff Gordon

40 - Mark Martin

25 - Jim Paschal

23 - Ricky Rudd

21 - Jeff Burton, Benny Parsons, Jack Smith

Gordon is a first ballot shoo-in when he's eligible in 2018. Martin will be eligible soon, he'll definitely get in, if not first ballot. Paschal wasn't on NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers list like the others, and wasn't as dominant in the early days (when they raced 50 times a year), so I don't know about him. Rudd won 23 races (one more than Terry Labonte - but Texas Terry has 2 Championships), has the Iron Man streak and the win streak. Burton is a little bit of a question mark. Parsons will make it no doubt. Jack Smith, basically, see: Jim Paschal.

A big issue is that, if they keep electing 5 guys a year, eventually they're going to run out of quality eligible inductees. Obviously, car owners/crew chiefs/broadcasters/promoters/etc get inducted too, but you're going to have at least 2 drivers in each class of inductees. Team sports have a much larger pool. I can see NASCAR shrinking the class down to 3 per year pretty soon.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I think he's got to get in.

After the 2016 inductees, the retired drivers with the most all-time wins that aren't in the hall will be:

92 - Jeff Gordon

40 - Mark Martin

25 - Jim Paschal

23 - Ricky Rudd

21 - Jeff Burton, Benny Parsons, Jack Smith

Gordon is a first ballot shoo-in when he's eligible in 2018. Martin will be eligible soon, he'll definitely get in, if not first ballot. Paschal wasn't on NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers list like the others, and wasn't as dominant in the early days (when they raced 50 times a year), so I don't know about him. Rudd won 23 races (one more than Terry Labonte - but Texas Terry has 2 Championships), has the Iron Man streak and the win streak. Burton is a little bit of a question mark. Parsons will make it no doubt. Jack Smith, basically, see: Jim Paschal.

A big issue is that, if they keep electing 5 guys a year, eventually they're going to run out of quality eligible inductees. Obviously, car owners/crew chiefs/broadcasters/promoters/etc get inducted too, but you're going to have at least 2 drivers in each class of inductees. Team sports have a much larger pool. I can see NASCAR shrinking the class down to 3 per year pretty soon.

Yeah, with that logic, Ricky should get a Hall Call in a few years. The talent now is starting to dwindle, and we'll see guys like Ricky Rudd get in who may have not had the "sexy" career portfolio ala a Jeff Gordon.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I loved Rudd growing up.

That aside, he has to get in the Hall in the next few years. Yeah he doesn't have any major wins like the Jarretts and Wallaces, but neither does Mark Martin right? Take away the iron man streak? You mean a record that is one of the most impressive in sports? Gordon has races every race since 1993 and he's going to pass Rudd with like 8 races left in his career. Not to mention Rudd raced in like 200 before that (according to a sporcle game I played last night). He was one of the best road racers in the series at a time, and above all, he's a southern boy who "raced right". They're putting in drivers that should be in obviously, but eventually they'll vote him in.

I said the Iron Man streak in an abject sort of way because it's what has defined Rudd's career. I do want to see him get in because I was a huge Rudd fan growing up as I have stated previously.

It'll take a few years but Rudd should get a Hall Call in the coming years. At least probably getting nominated within the next few years for starters.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

What if Brain Vickers retires at the end of the season,who will replace him? If it's Ragan,who will replace him?

Best guess is that Moffit will replace him.

My guess would be Erik Jones - Everyone seems to want to make him the greatest driver in Sprint Cup Series history, but he has nowhere to go at Gibbs, and Toyota wants him in their vehicles.

What if Brain Vickers retires at the end of the season,who will replace him? If it's Ragan,who will replace him?

My guess would be Erik Jones - Everyone seems to want to make him the greatest driver in Sprint Cup Series history, but he has nowhere to go at Gibbs, and Toyota wants him in their vehicles.
I just hope Moffitt goes to a good home. Also Michael Waltrip swoons over Daniel Suarez, I could see MWR rushing him into cup.

I just hope Moffitt goes to a good home. Also Michael Waltrip swoons over Daniel Suarez, I could see MWR rushing him into cup.

Michael swoons over EVERY Toyota racer.

Results from Charlotte:

1. Edwards

2. Biffle

3. Earnhardt Jr

4. Kenseth

5. Truex Jr.

6. Newman

7. Keselowski

8. Hamlin

9. Harvick

10. Kurt Busch

Cousin Carl is in the chase once again & JGR has 3 cars in the chase, I really felt bad for Truex Jr & Hamiln, they had great cars all night but had to pit. Kyle Busch had a good run as well. Next up, Dover.

baltimoreravens.png

Carl wasn't having a good season until tonight.Glad to see him in victory lane again.When he went in the stands,it brought back good memories.

A great race from Kyle in his first race back,can't believe he ran all 600 miles.

I was hoping Truex or the elder Busch would win it.Both of them had great cars,and they gambled and lost.

Jr. was good,but didn't lead a lap.But the most popular name in NASCAR had a strong finish.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

FUN FACT:This is the first time that the 19 has won since Michigan in 2005 when Jeremy Mayfield won.

And we know what happened next with him.

If NASCAR finds anything in Carl's system, it will be high amounts of Subway condiments LOL

Archived