2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp. There goes my favourite single season team of all time. What an incredible season, congrats to the Royals and their fans I guess, and go Mets.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Nice to see the team of my ancestral homeland returning to the Classic, especially after I got to visit the K in May.

Now that there's nobody named Bumgarner involved hopefully they'll get the job done this time.

VmWIn6B.png

Nice to see the team of my ancestral homeland returning to the Classic, especially after I got to visit the K in May.

Now that there's nobody named Bumgarner involved hopefully they'll get the job done this time.

Yes, but how can mere mortal Royals stand up to a God?

Thor-Twitter-600x636.jpg

And now a brief preview of the World Series' AL Participant:

May I set the stage? I shall impersonate a man. Come, enter into my imagination and see him!
His name... Edward Frederick Yost II. A former catcher, no longer young... bony, hollow-faced... eyes that burn with the fire of inner vision.
Being retired, he has much time for books. He studies them from morn to night and often through the night as well. And all he reads oppresses him... fills him with indignation at Large Market Teams' murderous ways toward Small Market Teams. And he conceives the strangest project ever imagined... to become Major League Manager and sally forth into the World Series to right all wrongs.
No longer shall he be plain Edward Frederick Yost II, but a dauntless manager known as:
Don Ned Yost-ay De La Mizzou!

My God. What a game!

Jays: Good job guys. You went a lot further than I expected you to, and you have a bright future. Also, I'm slightly relieved that I won't have to watch a pennant be unraveled and rings handed out on Opening Day next year against the Sox :P

Royals: Congrats, but prepare to lose to the Mets!

Speaking of that, the Mets will open their 2016 season at Kansas City against the Royals.

Didn't watch the game because I had football, but Blue Jays fans are blaming the umps. Did the umps do a bad job, or are Blue Jay fans just whining?

There were some questionable strikes in the 9th (and that fan interference no-call was BS), but if you blow as many opportunities as they did, you have no one to blame but yourselves.

They had a man on second with none out in the 1st...and then went down 1-2-3. They had Pompey (their fastest guy) on third (third!) with none out (none!) in the 9th with Navarro, Revere (two respectable hitters in their own right), and Josh-freaking-Donaldson up...and they blew it. And they blew another chance with a man on second and none out somewhere in between. I just can't believe how this team, of all teams, failed to get it done when it mattered most (except for Bautista -- this postseason has solidified my belief that he's the greatest Blue Jay ever). With all the hype and the drama and the comebacks, I really thought they could do it. Hell, I know they could have done it. But they didn't. All they had to do was literally just get the ball in play in the ninth and the game's tied...with Donaldson/Bautista/Edwin up. But they didn't.

It was a wild ride, and I hope to God that this won't be the last we see of the Jays, but with an aging core (Bautista will be 35 next year, Edwin 33, and JD 30) and several key players unlikely to repeat their career years (JD, Estrada), it seems as though this was their best chance to win it all. If they came through tonight, we'd be seeing a winner-take-all Game 7. One win to hang another pennant. One win for a chance to play for it all. Especially after José's clutch homer, I thought there was no way we wouldn't win. With the way everything -- and everyone -- came together, this just seemed like it could be the Jays' year. But that's just not the way sports work.

So, hats off to the greatest Blue Jays team of my lifetime (and, hell, maybe the best Toronto team of my lifetime). It was one hell of a ride, but there's nothing left for us here now. Go Leafs, go Argos, and go Mets -- see you all in April.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

That's the second time in these playoffs I've seen a guy score from first....on a single. And I don't think either runner had a running start (as in stealing or a hit-and-run). I think the first time was a bases-loaded-clearing, 3-RBI single.

That was one of those Derek Jeter Lore plays where his hustle and baseball IQ was hailed.

Unless you saw something in a different series that I didn't see, the only other time I can remember a runner scoring from first on a single this postseason was, well, also Lorenzo Cain, in Game 5 against Houston.

Needless to say, I had a striking sense of deja vu when I saw him round third, without hesitation, tonight. Both Cain and the 3rd base coach deserve a ton of credit for that. Catch Bautista napping, basically. Bautista probably never thought in a million years that Cain was going to be going for the plate in that situation, with no outs in a tie game and already being on 3rd base. We know Bautista has a cannon, too, but he threw a lob into second and that didn't give Tulo any chance of getting Cain on the relay, either. Simply a brilliant play that scored the winning run.

On a different note - I can speak from experience from a few years ago (2011, specifically) that, if I was a Blue Jays fan and that's how the season ended, with the tying run at 3rd and no outs, and they couldn't bring him in, that I would be miserable the entire off-season. Pinch-hitting Navarro for Goins didn't seem to make much sense at the time and in hindsight was obviously a huge mistake. Goins has a much higher contact rate than Navarro, something that is especially important against a strikeout pitcher, and is doubly important in a situation where contact is of the essence. I guess the only reason to go to Navarro is because the risk of the DP wasn't in effect; infield was in so obviously no DP would be attempted even on the most tailor-made groundball, but, man, I just didn't like that decision.

Lastly - huh, home plate umpires with questionable strike zones making balls/strikes calls that influence an entire AB and inning. Always wonderful when that pops up in the 9th inning of Game 6 of the g-ddamned AL Championship, huh?

spacer.png

I remember when I was first taught the concept of a team "rebuilding" and usinget a good farm system so that they could be good eventually. This was in the early 2000s and my first question was why is it taking so darn long for the Royals. I had seen lots of great players in person with the Wichita Wranglers (Damon, Beltran, Greinkie, Gordon, Butler, ect) amd wondered what was taking so long.Nobody could answer my question. Now I still can't believe that we have had 3 winning seasons in a row let alone 2 AL pennants and a Central division pennant. Sports are amazing.

No conspiracy folks, the Jays couldn't capitalise when they need it the most. I also find it mildly amusing that a former Toronto athlete that wore #15 comes back to haunt his old team... also... I guess that means the Mets won the R.A. Dickey trade? :D

So... either d'Arnaud and Syndergaard win or Alex Rios win a title ... pick your poison Jays fans...

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived